On creatures giving gold...

Discuss MagiStream and site-related topics.
DoctorOctopus
Member of Society of the Trident
CreaturesTrade

On creatures giving gold...

Post by DoctorOctopus »

Okay, I will admit- I do think too hard about the worlds I play in. It's one of the banes of my co-writers' existences. But I have to wonder- what's the rationale for 'clicking a creature earns you gold' in-story? Are we in a sense getting paid for our interactions by the keep owners? Then where does the gold come from? Certainly not our accounts. Do we get hairs, feathers, scales, etc, from the creatures that are essentially sold for the price of 1gc? Do these creatures just randomly carry around ever-refilling caches of gold? Admittedly that might work for the dragons and gryphons, who are known for hoarding...

Speculate!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Thanks for the gifts!
If you're gonna shorten my name, it's Doc Ock. Not DocOc.
I will buy any and all Albino Dire Wolves- any gender, stage, bred, inbred, named, whatever. Offering 2k per regular, 3k per purebred.

Image Puck is my Keep Guardian
Morgaln
Wielder of the Banhammer
CreaturesTrade

Re: On creatures giving gold...

Post by Morgaln »

All that glitters is not gold; I wonder what could come out of a creature that you could pick up... :derr:
What did the monk say to his food?
Spoiler
Out of the frying pan and into the friar
Knives: cutting-edge technology to this day.

This is Moe. Moe's a saurus.
PossessedFae
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by PossessedFae »

Morgaln wrote:All that glitters is not gold; I wonder what could come out of a creature that you could pick up... :derr:
...Ew? :t-X3:

It's a fairy that gives you gold. Whenever you visit a critter, s/he comes and gives you a reward. :yarly: I know so; my critters told me.
I have a lot of butterflies. :derp:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
GoblinShark
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by GoblinShark »

They all have a "Gold Gland" that produces a special liquid which solidifies into a piece of gold when it comes into contact with air. This gland is also what helps the animals grow, and is removed when an animal is being frozen, which explains why frozen hatchlings/eggs neither grow nor give gold. :yarly:
Last edited by GoblinShark on September 19th, 2010, 7:52:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage
psssst
hey you
yeah you
Gobs's Totally Legit And Completely Legal Back Alley Bargains
oh wait hey the thread's gone
whoops
wolfeyedangel
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by wolfeyedangel »

Or the gold is representative of what income the keep makes off of the various creatures and their own adventures. Selling alpaca wool, the molting from crystal wings, the fee from a Xand bear helping a village get through a harvest with enough to go through the winter after a devastating storm... Some of it would be the odds and ends of worked picked up by the young students, scrubbing out a class room for an instructor, helping Belmos in the nursery... Since these things are not played out they can be represented by other things OOCly, such as clicking. :angel: Our magi probably work a lot harder for the gold than we do. *shifty eyes*

~Wolf
PBEs in which I participate: High Reaches 4th Pass, Golden Valley Weyr
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Keolah
CreaturesTrade

Post by Keolah »

A Magi Did It.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Wynterborne
RG Moderator
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Wynterborne »

I agree with Wolf, the click is just a representative of some larger action, such as caring for a hatchling, or grooming a minicorn. Perhaps the Magi who created the keep also left behind a horde to provide a salary of sorts, to ensure the survival of those who who came to live here?
Thank you for the clicks!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Wishlist
Piney
Member of Society of the Trident
CreaturesTrade

Post by Piney »

I think Wolf's idea was the closest I had in mind. But what about the creatures that don't have very many uses, like gryphons, krakens, and kitsunes?

And why do clicks grow creatures anyway? It'd mean that eggs and hatchlings less interacted with would grow slower or not at all. Aging doesn't work that way, creatures grow at the same rate no matter what's happening. Right? <<>>
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
DeviantArt || Flight Rising || Avatar source
3DS friend code: 1607-2367-6983
If you message me I will register you. :3
sammythethief
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by sammythethief »

GoblinShark wrote:They all have a "Gold Gland" that produces a special liquid which solidifies into a piece of gold when it comes into contact with air. This gland is also what helps the animals grow, and is removed when an animal is being frozen, which explains why frozen hatchlings/eggs neither grow nor give gold. :yarly:
This. :lol:
Be kind.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Please do not click any hatchlings in my Main tab. Thank you.
Aneira
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Air
CreaturesTrade

Post by Aneira »

Piney wrote:I think Wolf's idea was the closest I had in mind. But what about the creatures that don't have very many uses, like gryphons, krakens, and kitsunes?

And why do clicks grow creatures anyway? It'd mean that eggs and hatchlings less interacted with would grow slower or not at all. Aging doesn't work that way, creatures grow at the same rate no matter what's happening. Right? <<>>
You must poke a creature to get them to grown in this world. And your poke transfers maturity to them somehow. :italian:
Image❖ Malo mori quam fodari ❖ Image
❄ ❄

Return to “Community Discussion”