ShadowPhoenixRider's entry (Sphinx and variations)

Users were given the opportunity to design a creature and have it released.
ShadowPhoenixRider
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

ShadowPhoenixRider's entry (Sphinx and variations)

Post by ShadowPhoenixRider »

Hi there. I usually avoid contests like the plague, but I decided to try my luck anyway, mainly because I had this idea that wouldn't go away.

I cannot sprite or draw, so I'll have to use descriptions. Though if you wish to assist with drawing/whatnot, I'll be happy for an extra hand! ^_^

I probably won't be done in one go, as I work slowly, and when I can.

Note: This won't be a proper sphinx with a human head, but with a lion's head. Bear with me. This was also formed before the existance of the panthers. >_<

I would love constructive critism, as this is my first contest entry (probably ever!), and I'm sometimes blind to things you guys can see easily!

~ShadowPhoenixRider

For the sphinx, I was thinking of three variations, one obtained by stream, the other two by breeding.

The normal sphinx (lion headed) [stream born]

The criosphinx (ram headed) [sphinx/ibex breeding]

The hieracosphinx (bird headed) [sphinx/roc breeding]

General description:

Sphinx are mysterious creatures that are highly useful to a magi, due to their intelligence and great knowledge. They easily pick the human language, and are curious of human culture, being mostly found in the library reading boks or solving riddles. Their ability to tread silently make them incredible hunters, and is a useful skill for a magi when collecting eggs. Their wild cousins are more cautious and less well mannered towards anyone in the Atain Desert, sometimes attacking them if they have eggs to protect.
There are three types of sphinx, the lion headed sphinx, the ram headed criosphinx and the hawk headed hieracosphinx, which vary in attitude, and the obvious physical trait.

Egg:

Sphinx Desciption: light orange egg, with tail (little tuft on it) coming out of the right side curling over, blue/yellow tuft of hair showing from the left side of the egg.

Criosphinx desciption: light orange egg, with tail (little tuft on it) coming out of the right side curling over, curled yellow horns poking out of shell on the left.

Hieracosphinx description: light orange egg, with tail (little tuft on it) coming out of the right side curling over, a small black beak emerging from the left side.

Shown descriptions:

Normal: This orange egg has a small tail curling out of it, and something that looks vaguely like hair.

Criosphinx: This orange egg has a small tail curling out of it, and some black horns as well.

Hieracosphinx: This orange egg has a small tail curling out of it , and a beck.

Hatchling:

Sphinx description: Small light orange cub with a fuzz of blue/yellow streaked 'hair' (slightly longer for the females). Colours are muted to fit colour scheme. I imagine it sitting, facing right and pawing at the air, but that's just me.

Criosphinx decription: Small light orange cub, with a ram's (or ewe's if female) head (coloured a darker orange like the ibex).

Hieracosphinx description: Small light orange cub, with a hawk's head, patterned the same as the roc.

Shown descriptions:

Sphinx: This small cub has stumbled out of the egg and is tottering around, gazing into the air. You notice the tuft of blue and yellow colour mane, which seems strangely hard to the touch. It notices you and scampers over, without making a single sound. It is curious, especially towards you, constantly following and inspecting what you do. It is very playful, and gets on well with the winged cats, and other feline creatures.

Criosphinx: This small cub has stumbled out of the egg and is tottering around, gazing into the air. You notice it has a sheep's head instead of the lion' head you would have expected. It notices you and scampers over, without making a single sound. It is curious, especially towards you, constantly following and inspecting what you do. It is very playful, and gets on well with the ibexes and other herbivore creatures.

Hieracosphinx: This small cub has stumbled out of the egg and is tottering around, gazing into the air. You notice it has a hawk's head instead of the lion's head you would have expected. It notices you and scampers over, without making a single sound. It is curious, especially towards you, constantly following and other inspecting what you do. It is very playful, and gets on well with the rocs and other avian creatures.

Adult:

Sphinx description: Large light orange lion, with the blue/yellow hair in the position of the headdress of the Egyptians (use this as example http://www.evgschool.org/img12.gif ), but still retaining it's hair-like quality. The females have a longer 'crown' than the males (only a couple of pixels or whatever bigger). Proud looking best sums it up.

Criosphinx description: Large light orange lion, with ram's head a darker orange colour, the horns are black. Females lack horns.

Hieracosphinx description: Large light orange lion, with hawk's head which is patterned (the variations of light and dark grey), the only difference is the beak is purely jet black. No gender differences.

Shown descriptions:

Sphinx: The small cub you have lovingly cared for has grown into a majestic beast. It's mane has grown longer and seemed to have assumed a shape like a crown. The sphinx is very intelligent, and listens intently to you when you tell it stories. It hunts rather large game in the forests, using it's silent steps to catch prey without it being aware of the sphinx's presence. Their playful attitude has been replaced by a perpetual calm; the sphinx would rather lay in the sun thinking up riddles than wrestle with it's peers, as it had done when it was a cub.

Criosphinx: The small cub you have lovingly cared for has grown into a majestic beast. You are still puzzled by it's sheep head, which has grown some large jet black horns. The criosphinx is very intelligent, and listens intently to you when you tell it stories. Unlike it's other species relatives, the criosphinx spends most of it's time grazing or devouring fruit; mainly the latter, because it offers better nutrition. It still retains a silent footfall, however. Their playful attitude has been replaced by a perpetual calm; the criosphinx would rather lay in the sun thinking up riddles than butt heads with it's peers, as it had done when it was a cub.

Hieracosphinx: The small cub you have lovingly cared for has grown into a majestic beast. You are still puzzled by it's hawk head, adds to a vicious look to the creature. The hieracosphinx is very intelligent, and listens intently to you when you tell it stories. It hunts rather large game in the forests, using it's silent steps to catch prey without it being aware of the hieracosphinx's presence. Their playful attitude has been replaced by a fairly calm exterior; however this kind of sphinx can be quite aggressive if their magi or young are threatened. They like to think up riddles though, rather than play tag in it's younger stage.
Last edited by ShadowPhoenixRider on September 16th, 2009, 2:53:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Wishlist:
Spoiler
Celestial Dragon, Void Dragon, Temple Cat, Atrox Dragon, Voltarian Phoenix, any Dismot
Rangapaw
CreaturesTrade

Re: ShadowPhoenixRider's entry (Sphinx and variations)

Post by Rangapaw »

SPHINX!!! Oh man, that would be so cool! And those variations sound awesome! :D
Do you play Age of Mythology, by any chance?
Image Image
ShadowPhoenixRider
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

I do indeed, but I forgot the variations until I did some hunting around.
ImageImageImageImage
Wishlist:
Spoiler
Celestial Dragon, Void Dragon, Temple Cat, Atrox Dragon, Voltarian Phoenix, any Dismot
cyberus151
CreaturesTrade

Post by cyberus151 »

I think these is a great idea,
Hey, I'm an ancient user. Ignore my profile and such, too tired to update, haha.
~ImageImageImageImage~
ShadowPhoenixRider
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Just to bump up this thread with important information:

I have completed the adult's entry!
ImageImageImageImage
Wishlist:
Spoiler

Return to “Design a Creature Contest”