Winged Collectors

MagiStream's legend competition. Winners have their writing as part of the world.
Snow
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Winged Collectors

Post by Snow »

((Hope you enjoy. Fasten your seat belts, mate- this might take a while.

I hope this isn't too long, and fits the requirements/whatever rules there are. It's about my characters getting stuck in a world where a mysterious voice from Magistream's origins leads them to find more species to bring to the Stream. But it isn't easy.

I feel like I've broken the rules somehow, maybe, so if I did, please don't kill me. D: I worked hard on this so I only hope that it doesn't get deleted or something.))

Snow licked her lips and stared into the water with anticipation. She crossed her legs, smiling at the stream in front of her. Her reflection showed a lively spirit, even rare for her.

"Snow? What're you doing?" Max leaned over, crouching down to look at his companion's face. She was smiling, quite brightly at that- her smiles usually consisted as sly, intriguing smirks.

"There's something... different about this water," Snow replied thoughtfully, not exactly answering his question. She traced a circle on the surface of the blue liquid glass, causing ripples to follow in that direction.

"Well, duh. I guess it'd be different if there were eggs in it." Sure enough, about ten eggs were bobbing silently among the stream's light surface, as if a sac of air propelled them so from the bottom. The last of the ten would fall into the water, as if sinking into the ground below, the exact same egg protruding from what appeared to be a waterfall. Snow gazed at the magical waterfall, her white wings twitching.

Snow had black-brown eyes, and neutral brown eyes as well. By the description of her wings, you might have thought of an angel, am I right? Not really, my friend. Snow may be part spirit, not that you had any idea of that, and she may have an actual halo somewhere in her black backpack, but she was indeed not an angel. The ending, rather primary feathers of her wings were bathed in yellow, as if they had been dipped in a basin of paint. She always wore long, comfortable jeans and a shirt pertaining to space. At this moment, she wore a black shirt decorated with a golden, waning crescent moon on the front.

Max had shaggy, rather spiky red-brown hair and strange yet curious indigo eyes, this shade of color leaning more towards blue but keeping a reasonable amount of violet. His wings matched his hair color, no alternative colors added to the bird anatomy. Like Snow, he preferred long, well-fitted jeans, but enjoyed rather simple shirts alternative of space ones. For example, he was precisely wearing a white shirt with a pair of light blue cuffs and collar in this story.

Snow looked over back to the slowly flowing river, taking a steady pace to the shining eggs would not tip upside down. "I wonder why there's only those purple and blue ones. They're pretty, but I wish there was more than those..."

Max nodded visibly. "Yeah. And another thing; I wonder what those eggs look like when they're hatched." He paused. "Wait. Don't answer that. I don't know if I want to know."

A booming voice made them jump back, after a pair of loud shrieks and a reaction of covering four sensitive ears. The voice suddenly stopped at whatever it was saying, and the pair shakily withdrew their hands.

But before they could share their thoughts, the voice came again. It was softer, luckily, so the two only jumped again.

"So you want to bring creatures anew to MagiStream?" the disembodied voice called.

Snow snarled. "Who are you? What do you want?" She looked around wildly as Max cowered a bit.

"Do not worry. We are just asking a question."

"Well... it would be nice to bring mystical creatures into this so-called 'Magistream'. What do you want us to do?" Snow asked thoughtfully.

"If so, we ask you simply to dive into this river. You will be taken into the next area needed to find a creature suggested by others." The voice stopped suddenly.

"Wait- what? What others? Wha-" She didn't get an answer, and if the voice was even still there, it couldn't of answered her. Snow and Max were sucked into the swirling whirlpool of the magical stream.

--

Snow groaned and put her hand to her head, looking up. Max lay in front of her, seemingly coming to as well. She slowly steadied herself onto her feet, extending a helping hand to her friend. As he brought himself up, she looked around.

The two were in an oceanic territory, scattered around by multiple islands. Some were a normal, sandy color, with a few spread plants, and about eight were huge, blueish colors with what appeared to be white markings.

"What is this place?" Snow jumped onto another island, this one blue and white, partially using her wings to keep herself aloft to the piece of land, feeling it tremble a bit. Max followed, shuddering when he felt movement beneath his feet. The two leaped to another, and another.

"What are we supposed to do here? Jump around on the blue islands in some sort of pattern? I don't see anyway to do something." Snow sighed, jumping on another blue island. She noted that with every jump, the trembles came closer to earthquakes. Whatever these things were, they were losing their patience, she realized.

She squeaked when she felt the ever-so-graceful Max land straight into her, probably not paying attention again. The two plummeted into the ocean.

They slowly opened their eyes, attempting to look through the darkness, as if they were in an isolation tank. A form shaped in front of them, creases and folds becoming evident, more details coming... was that a frill and a beak?

...and two ferocious eyes? And eight tentacles all coming at them at once?

They screamed through the water, breathing in the liquid transferring to air and barely dodging the eight bodily weapons. Snow registered the creature as a kraken, a notorious mother kraken. She frowned at the thought. Where did that last bit come from? She ignored it, to slash at a tentacle, using a winged-human made dagger of ice generated from the water around her.

The kraken roared as its- her- tentacle was partially cut off, blood heavily seeping from the wound. The kraken drew it behind her, now reaching all seven tentacles to Snow.

She couldn't escape; the slimy yet strong tentacles wrapped around her body, possessing an inescapable grip. Snow struggled for air (or rather, water), the suckers of the snake-like trappers slowly taking the blood to the area right below her skin, making it ready to pop and bleed. She looked around frantically. Help! HELP!!! She couldn't process the words. Help... She felt the world going black, slipping away as her body went limp.

She saw waves of glowing psychic energy and heard the roars of the kraken, slowly fading away. Smiling, she felt the world rushing back as the roars dissipated from the water and the kraken retreated. Her smile snapped when she saw Max drifting in the water, breathing hard.

She sighed softly when she saw he was fine. Max laughed. "Look, I think I know what 'she' was protecting."

The two swam down, eventually getting to what appeared to be a seaweed nest. Snow gasped when she saw a dozen eggs, all with waving tentacles poking out of them. She reached out to touch them, but they startlingly all zipped into her backpack. She immediately took the black material from her back, peering inside to see empty space.

"Well, that's weird," she laughed.

And what happened next? I do believe you can guess. They were sucked into another whirlpool.

I do believe that this story is long enough. Though it does not end here; Snow and Max still had a long way to go to collect all of the creatures you see now. For example, they had to climb disastrous mountains for the gryphons, phoenixes, ibexes, and dragons, dive deeper than krakens could swim to find narwhals, leviathans and more, and venture into vast lands to discover direwolves, manticores, temple cats, unicorns, and more to be added. But I must save those stories for another day. You've read enough. Rest your eyes, young one...

((I hope you enjoyed this and didn't burn your eyes out. I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't win much. xD It doesn't matter; it was fun to type this. Though now I think it's a bit boring. But then again, everyone's worst critic is themselves...))
*-_ ... _-*
nightbug08
CreaturesTrade

Re: Winged Collectors

Post by nightbug08 »

Argh! The Mary Sues! THEY BURN! :lol: Kidding! This is fun! :D
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

<3 Thank You for the Christmas Presents <3

Stones crack, and Hanging Gardens rot. 'Tis only change that changes not.
There's one enduring truth to learn: That things will change.
The wheel will turn.
Snow
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Re: Winged Collectors

Post by Snow »

Agh, I always thought that they were at least partially Mary-Sues. >> But they're really for an original story, which include a lot of other powerful beings, and since they're part of that group, they don't fit in all that well here. -_- I just figured, 'what the heck' and whipped this out of Wonderland.

End speech.
*-_ ... _-*

Return to “Legend Contest”