question, less limited creatures released at the same time

Discuss MagiStream and site-related topics.
Rosehill
Coder
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Re: question, less limited creatures released at the same time

Post by Rosehill »

feralkiwi wrote: November 9th, 2023, 5:50:04 pm(i know it was changed awhile ago/why it was changed, but i do miss just having event eggs flood the stream- maybe have like select times during events when it's just the event eggs and not the usual stream things like the platy floods? like not for the whole event, but just at certain times throughout the day?)
I didn't quite catch if you mean make the event eggs flood more or less than what they do? ^.^

Currently the event eggs flood all the time during their stay. So every time you pick up an egg from the main stream, a new event egg should appear in its place. There are two exceptions: 1) at the turnover of the stream (e.g. every 15 minutes at xx:00, xx:15, xx:30, and xx:45) the first 9 eggs are regular eggs. After those it's all event eggs until the next turnover. 2) Platy flood overrides everything, there's no stopping them! :t-boo:
Airasyraye
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Post by Airasyraye »

I don't really care about how many creatures there are at a time, but I do wish past-events were released elsewhere, on every site. It bugs me when I'm trying to get new stuff and see Decessus flooding the stream for the 10th year in a row.
<3 Feel free to look at my Holiday Extras and Others tabs to pick out gifts if you want them! <3 :t-swoon: Want lowest-gen pygmies, alt colors :t-swoon: ImageImage
feralkiwi
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by feralkiwi »

Rosehill wrote: November 9th, 2023, 11:38:09 pm
feralkiwi wrote: November 9th, 2023, 5:50:04 pm(i know it was changed awhile ago/why it was changed, but i do miss just having event eggs flood the stream- maybe have like select times during events when it's just the event eggs and not the usual stream things like the platy floods? like not for the whole event, but just at certain times throughout the day?)
I didn't quite catch if you mean make the event eggs flood more or less than what they do? ^.^

Currently the event eggs flood all the time during their stay. So every time you pick up an egg from the main stream, a new event egg should appear in its place. There are two exceptions: 1) at the turnover of the stream (e.g. every 15 minutes at xx:00, xx:15, xx:30, and xx:45) the first 9 eggs are regular eggs. After those it's all event eggs until the next turnover. 2) Platy flood overrides everything, there's no stopping them! :t-boo:
i meant flood more and have a timed flood of just event critters *like* the platy floods (so it's all event things and not a mix which it def appears to be now?), i assumed it was changed from being all event things b/c people wanted stream things at the same time, so i was wondering if we could do an all event flood the way the platys do (but only sometimes to appease people who want stream things). Lately during events it just seems like there's not a lot of event things or they are much harder to snag (or certain ones are).

tho i suppose making the event slightly longer would also solve that without having to do more backend code work (if people don't feel as rushed and have time to grab stuff)
(pronouns: they/them)

happy 15th magiversary!

<3 clicks appreciated-just to hatchling pls <3
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
doing bloodline swaps- 1st gen emerald wyverns | lts keep clean
Granitore
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Granitore »

feralkiwi wrote: November 10th, 2023, 4:25:19 am
Rosehill wrote: November 9th, 2023, 11:38:09 pm

i meant flood more and have a timed flood of just event critters *like* the platy floods (so it's all event things and not a mix which it def appears to be now?), i assumed it was changed from being all event things b/c people wanted stream things at the same time, so i was wondering if we could do an all event flood the way the platys do (but only sometimes to appease people who want stream things). Lately during events it just seems like there's not a lot of event things or they are much harder to snag (or certain ones are).

tho i suppose making the event slightly longer would also solve that without having to do more backend code work (if people don't feel as rushed and have time to grab stuff)
hmm.... i am honestly not THAT long on this site, but as far as i know during the event you can grab the "normal eggs" that are "on top" of the event eggs....freeze the normal eggs and then you have a full stream full of event eggs...that is why i have a folder that i called "Start" with some frozen eggs... i need to make sometime to send them to master belmos...

its just, during the halloween event,a lot of "spots" never got grabbed once and the players concentrated on the 3 spots that were already "turned" into event egg spots... maybe not all players know this, since even i only know this because i read it somewhere by chance... if that information was better known, the stream would probably turn to full event eggs faster...
-- <3 Ty for your clicks <3--
-- <3 I love crystalwings <3 --
<3 I would love the new Selenic Crystal Wing and Helian Crystalwing as gifts! <3
(and if you find them, the elusive Cypheles Crystalwing eggs from the Keep stream)

SirChicken
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Light
CreaturesTrade

Post by SirChicken »

I agree that this event was a little overwhelming with the amount of creatures being released. I was somewhat worried that I wouldn't get females/males of both hatchlings and adults. I understand if your brain has been fried by the massive amount of coding that was done, and is continuing in places that need to be fixed/improved. Sometimes we're too hyper-focused on one thing that we completely forget about the other stuff going on in the background. :derp:

Maybe an unpopular opinion too since we're on the subject: I wish unbreedable limited creatures got an overhaul that allowed them to breed.

Including the ones that appear in your keep (Keep Spider, etc), are inanimate objects (Pet Rock, Pet Geode Ally, Giant Pumpkin, the Cookies, etc), and/or use a limited item to transform into a separate creature (Spectral Mawdracon, Khadakhad Daant, Erebine Phoenix, Giant Jack-o-Lantern, etc). Or I suppose you could also have the Black Market or Holiday Shops sell those limited transformation items... :orly: But give the others egg and hatchling sprites if they don't have them already. And let the limited creatures that can only breed hybrids (looking at you especially, chicken Dismots and Vernox Dragons) be able to breed with the same species. It drives me bonkers that creatures like Dismots and Vernox Dragons can breed, but not with their own species. :facepalm:

PLEASE HEAR ME OUT ON THIS, THOUGH! (click the spoiler below)
Spoiler
I personally have always disliked the exclusivity of unbreedable limited creatures. The older they are, the more they cost to buy from other users; some are seldomly seen for sale. Let past limited, unbreedable creatures become breedable.

Would it break the market? Maybe a little, but I think stream born, shop born, event born, and quest born creatures should remain the same asking price they are being sold at right now by fellow users. There has always been high value in creatures that are progenitors. The prices for their offspring would then be less depending on the generation. Basically the gold values would function the exact same as current breedable creatures.

Allowing unbreedable critters to breed would also make limited releases less stressful. I know I personally get a weird sense of urgency when I see "This creature is limited and will not be able to breed." And some of us can't be online enough times throughout the event to grab enough of each creature being released because of real life obligations. Especially around holidays like Easter, American Thanksgiving, the winter holidays, and New Year (feel free to include your country's observed holidays; I only listed US holidays because I live there lol) when many of us are prepping for these holidays or traveling to visit and be with family. At least you or other users can breed the creatures at a later date. It would help those of us who collect pairs of adults, hatchlings, and/or frozen eggs.

On top of that, there's also plenty of new users that miss out on said limited creatures. It can feel daunting looking at the list of all the creatures that can't breed. And with Gold Mining having to stop indefinitely, it could take ages to obtain them. It might also be difficult if no one is willing to sell you any of their progenitors. As I said before, doing away with unbreedable creatures makes collecting feel less grindy.

This would also make it more fun to build armies and hoard of our favorite creatures that currently can't breed. (Personally speaking, I have a small army of Giant Sylphs, Pocket Sylphs, and Ornate Sylphs--all unbreedable. If they could breed, I'd have an entire military force of Sylphs lol. :nerd: )

"But what about the Black Market?" Still have it come to visit us, just as it always has! Alethin can still offer previous event eggs if some us want to collect progenitors instead. Nothing would change how the BM functions.
Feel free to add to this, critique it (please be constructive with any criticisms), or disagree altogether. Just thought I'd throw the idea out there. :) And sorry for any errors or if anything sounds weird. I was up all night and I'm now super tired.
Please help my babies grow C:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Granitore
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Granitore »

SirChicken wrote: November 10th, 2023, 9:57:35 am I agree that this event was a little overwhelming with the amount of creatures being released. I was somewhat worried that I wouldn't get females/males of both hatchlings and adults. I understand if your brain has been fried by the massive amount of coding that was done, and is continuing in places that need to be fixed/improved. Sometimes we're too hyper-focused on one thing that we completely forget about the other stuff going on in the background. :derp:

Maybe an unpopular opinion too since we're on the subject: I wish unbreedable limited creatures got an overhaul that allowed them to breed.

Including the ones that appear in your keep (Keep Spider, etc), are inanimate objects (Pet Rock, Pet Geode Ally, Giant Pumpkin, the Cookies, etc), and/or use a limited item to transform into a separate creature (Spectral Mawdracon, Khadakhad Daant, Erebine Phoenix, Giant Jack-o-Lantern, etc). Or I suppose you could also have the Black Market or Holiday Shops sell those limited transformation items... :orly: But give the others egg and hatchling sprites if they don't have them already. And let the limited creatures that can only breed hybrids (looking at you especially, chicken Dismots and Vernox Dragons) be able to breed with the same species. It drives me bonkers that creatures like Dismots and Vernox Dragons can breed, but not with their own species. :facepalm:

PLEASE HEAR ME OUT ON THIS, THOUGH! (click the spoiler below)

Feel free to add to this, critique it (please be constructive with any criticisms), or disagree altogether. Just thought I'd throw the idea out there. :) And sorry for any errors or if anything sounds weird. I was up all night and I'm now super tired.
WARNING, LONG TEXT IS LONG!
(it is late where i live and i am sleepy, so sorry if this makes not much sense...maybe?)

Hmmm.... you know, now that we got the crafting tab i feel like they might add something like that overtime? maybe? maybe the mods make a poll to see what other players think?
Spoiler
though i feel like we would need some other crafting materials for this, maybe make it that visiting a region on the world tab you get a chance for a crafting material, together with the mats that you need to collect by visiting a creature...i just realized i have no idea how often a creature /creature page? (i read that visiting the bestiary page can also give mats for currently craftable creatures...is that true???)

Anyway, take a dandelion you would need mats from the creature BUT also mats that you then forage on the world map (for a chance of getting them, like since a dandelion looks like a plant a jungle would be a good place to click for a chance to get dandelion seeds? flowers? leaves?)... though to be fair, it would make the more rare species common....so maybe create crafted miniature version of them that are like the pygmy gemdragons/crystalwings....tinier versions of the original to show the difference?

i dont know if others would like it if their rare creatures would suddenly flood the market, but being able to craft a miniature version sounds good enough for me...

though i MUST say looking at a lot of the creatures that cant breed that are hard to get made me also sad a little, but i can understand that players would not want them to spread... and i joined this site fully knowing it would be hard to get said creatures...

(i also would have nothing against recolors for future mini-event releases that would be able to breed instead of making the old ones available...OR also not make them able to breed and instead give mini version material? and the old ones would give mats for mini versions of their species? maybe?)

i still kind of hope the other schools of magic get their exclusive association (Herbalist shop, dark shop and water shop can only be visited if you are in their association...but the other elements all dont have that kind of shop and it makes me kinda sad)...

on the other hand you can join the Artificer's Association AND the Preservationists Association at the same time (together with one of the 3 named above) and i would love to see more of those...like, we got cookies this year for april fools day....imagine a baking association or cooking association...

i mean, look, during this years magiversary i had a LOT of stuff going on RL and missed the whole END of the event, including the prismatic crystalwing AND the badge i just saw in one of the user profiles....not only will my mental badge list now contain a "missing badge spot" in my mind...i also missed the last crytalwing that kind of was the highlight of that event... that made me sad,

but real life was more important at that time, nothing bad mind you...just a lot of overtime and forgetting about MS... my brain kind of said: you need a break, go read a book and you got everything from the event...just that my brain was wrong... but making creatures that cant breed and are some kind of status symbol suddenly available to everyone feels...wrong? even if i want what feels like half of those exclusive creatures myself...

i mean...i missed not only a exclusive crystalwing but also the badge...

but imagine i would get the badge now, i WAS there for half of the event, BUT i was not there for all of it...would it make me happy to fill the mental badge gap? yes, yes it would... would it make me feel like the others that were there until the end and earned the badge have their badge less worth?...yes, yes it would, so painful as it is, i will never get the badge...or the crystalwing and i need to live with it...

next time i need to shake my brain and ask it: are you sure, should we not at least check the game, no matter how tired we are from work?
-- <3 Ty for your clicks <3--
-- <3 I love crystalwings <3 --
<3 I would love the new Selenic Crystal Wing and Helian Crystalwing as gifts! <3
(and if you find them, the elusive Cypheles Crystalwing eggs from the Keep stream)

LunatheDragoness
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Light
CreaturesTrade

Post by LunatheDragoness »

Airasyraye wrote: November 10th, 2023, 2:04:36 am I don't really care about how many creatures there are at a time, but I do wish past-events were released elsewhere, on every site. It bugs me when I'm trying to get new stuff and see Decessus flooding the stream for the 10th year in a row.
I'm tired of seeing the Decessus and Mortifelis coming every year. Neither of them breed. No gender differences. There's nothing special about them.
Past event creatures are available on other sites. Making it better for those who missed that year to get them. Dragoncave does this. Why not on here? Some other pet sites have games and their economy is more stable. I wish we had that on here. Magistream is my first pet site and it used to be fun.
Spiraling out of control and deeper down the rabbit hole
"Ronald" - Falling In Reverse, Tech N9ne & Alex Terrible
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

The AquariumGolden Claw
Mochipet
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by Mochipet »

LunatheDragoness wrote: November 13th, 2023, 5:50:38 pm
Airasyraye wrote: November 10th, 2023, 2:04:36 am I don't really care about how many creatures there are at a time, but I do wish past-events were released elsewhere, on every site. It bugs me when I'm trying to get new stuff and see Decessus flooding the stream for the 10th year in a row.
I'm tired of seeing the Decessus and Mortifelis coming every year. Neither of them breed. No gender differences. There's nothing special about them.
Past event creatures are available on other sites. Making it better for those who missed that year to get them. Dragoncave does this. Why not on here? Some other pet sites have games and their economy is more stable. I wish we had that on here. Magistream is my first pet site and it used to be fun.
I'm wondering if it's because this site trades hatchies and adults but not eggs. Dragon cave is the opposite. You can only trade eggs and hatchies but not adults so the only way to get cave borns is to re-release. On magistream though, you can get streamborn adults and hatchies at any time via trade. If magistream re-released past event eggs then the supply goes up every year making the creatures less valuable to trade. That's just my guess though. I do think the first thing to rebalance the economy is lower the price on quests and stuff as well as have new ways to earn gold now that mass mining is no longer allowed. Nearly every quest costs at least 10k gold alone just to complete which is impossibly expensive now for example. Ice Pheonixs cost 6k each and you need 10 for a quest so that quest costs 60k or 70k which lord knows how long that'll take to complete nowadays.
LunatheDragoness
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Light
CreaturesTrade

Post by LunatheDragoness »

Mochipet wrote: November 17th, 2023, 8:34:54 am
LunatheDragoness wrote: November 13th, 2023, 5:50:38 pm
I'm wondering if it's because this site trades hatchies and adults but not eggs. Dragon cave is the opposite. You can only trade eggs and hatchies but not adults so the only way to get cave borns is to re-release. On magistream though, you can get streamborn adults and hatchies at any time via trade. If magistream re-released past event eggs then the supply goes up every year making the creatures less valuable to trade. That's just my guess though. I do think the first thing to rebalance the economy is lower the price on quests and stuff as well as have new ways to earn gold now that mass mining is no longer allowed. Nearly every quest costs at least 10k gold alone just to complete which is impossibly expensive now for example. Ice Pheonixs cost 6k each and you need 10 for a quest so that quest costs 60k or 70k which lord knows how long that'll take to complete nowadays.
I agree about the quests and new ways to earn gold. I'm not a professional in anyway but my minor in college is eSports. Taking a class called Gamification and I've learned a lot on what makes or breaks any game, app, or website. And let me tell you, Magistream is breaking.

I understand they have limits to what they can do but they need to apply some gamification like other virtual pet sites have.

If they can lower shop prices, add a new shop that changes creatures monthly for higher prices (because its a monthly item and we wouldn't know when they will be back, they could add creatures from past quests that are no long available, re-colors, limited seasonal creatures, ect, like the black market but its always up), add some mini games that award gold, fix the quests so they aren't so expensive, add in daily simple quests that give gold (simple as in just get X amount of X from the stream), raise the amount of gold you get for clicking eggs only (to encourage more clicks), raise the amount of gold you get for posting in forums (not for the click ones) to encourage more engagement with the site..
Spiraling out of control and deeper down the rabbit hole
"Ronald" - Falling In Reverse, Tech N9ne & Alex Terrible
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

The AquariumGolden Claw
blockEdragon
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade

Post by blockEdragon »

New ways to earn gold sound great but right here, right now, everything costs too much, new ways to earn gold are a hypothetical, the ways we earn gold on this site are very calculated at keeping players active and engaged. Mini games sound great but they'll take ages to implemented and we don't even know what they'd look like. Also, I came here to play magisteam, not minesweeper or whatever so finding a good fit that doesn't feel like an unwanted chore would also be an issue. Prices need to go down across the board.
Last edited by blockEdragon on November 17th, 2023, 3:01:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
25/25 thank you so much

Return to “Community Discussion”