How Was Your Day Thread V5

Discuss MagiStream and site-related topics.
Airasyraye
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Re: How Was Your Day Thread V5

Post by Airasyraye »

Revan wrote: November 14th, 2023, 4:51:57 pm
Witnesses got everything, including a description of the driver (a woman). Officers are a bit concerned because it was an out of state plate, but they said they would reach out to that state's police department and see if there's anything on record. If so, they'll flag the plate and notify adjacent states as well to be on the lookout.

I was very lucky. Officers and everyone said it could have been way worse. I had been loading my car with groceries when the truck shot backward out of a parking space right into me, pinning me between the two vehicles. I had maybe a half a foot of space, and the woman in the truck still was trying to back up, but a lot of witnesses thankfully started screaming at her and banging on her truck to get her to stop. She apparently did turn back and look at me, according to witnesses, but then switched gears and sped out of the parking lot.

Officers said if I have been bending down or smaller, I probably would have been killed if my head have been caught in the gap instead of my leg and arm. A small child certainly would have been.

Still kinda shaky about it. It's a scary thought, and it's not like you expect to be hit by a vehicle when you're loading the truck of your car. Definitely going to be a lot more aware of my surroundings after this.
Glad you weren't hurt. You know that stupid idiot is going to cry about how she didn't mean it, and she's normally a safe driver, and she just panicked, and she's been having it so tough right now. The same old sob story that hit and runs usually make.
<3 Feel free to look at my Holiday Extras and Others tabs to pick out gifts if you want them! <3 :t-swoon: Want lowest-gen pygmies, alt colors :t-swoon: Image
SirChicken
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Light
CreaturesTrade

Post by SirChicken »

Revan wrote: November 14th, 2023, 4:51:57 pm Witnesses got everything, including a description of the driver (a woman). Officers are a bit concerned because it was an out of state plate, but they said they would reach out to that state's police department and see if there's anything on record. If so, they'll flag the plate and notify adjacent states as well to be on the lookout.

I was very lucky. Officers and everyone said it could have been way worse. I had been loading my car with groceries when the truck shot backward out of a parking space right into me, pinning me between the two vehicles. I had maybe a half a foot of space, and the woman in the truck still was trying to back up, but a lot of witnesses thankfully started screaming at her and banging on her truck to get her to stop. She apparently did turn back and look at me, according to witnesses, but then switched gears and sped out of the parking lot.

Officers said if I have been bending down or smaller, I probably would have been killed if my head have been caught in the gap instead of my leg and arm. A small child certainly would have been.

Still kinda shaky about it. It's a scary thought, and it's not like you expect to be hit by a vehicle when you're loading the truck of your car. Definitely going to be a lot more aware of my surroundings after this.
As MadameRed said, that is truly horrifying! I hope you have a steady recovery, both physically and mentally.

I really don't know what goes through peoples' brains when they do something like this. My mom (who worked in the hit-and-run unit of our police department) always beat it into me and my brother's heads to never leave the scene of an accident no matter what. Even if you're afraid that you might have killed someone, do not leave. Leaving the scene is a punishable offense that can be upgraded if someone got seriously injured or died. My mom saw hit-and-runs so often that most of the people being jailed could have avoided any charges if they just stayed there.

~~~~~

So I watched the video of Adam Johnson who died the other week after his throat was slit by an opponent's hockey skate. (the footage is very graphic, so trigger warning if you look it up.) I had only heard a blurb that a hockey player died in a "freak accident" after having his throat slit. I thought it was an accidental collision where both ended up on the ground with one (or both) spinning on the slippery ice, and then having the blade of the spinning player accidentally nicking the other's jugular. I thought this because my upper leg was sliced open by one of my cousins when we were ice skating together. We were side by side, so when we slipped and fell, we went down together. We all sort of spun out, and that's when the blade cut me. I thought maybe the same happened to Adam Johnson, but unfortunately it was much worse and dangerous (hockey skates are leagues sharper than regular ice skates).

More below... (spoiler for length)
Spoiler
I don't watch hockey regularly (I'd say I'm a casual fan of the Blackhawks; I like them, but I'm not a die hard fan), so I had a hard time trying to grasp what happened before and during the collision. I really wanted to understand why the other player was charged with manslaughter. I'm glad I got other people's opinions from the comments and breakdown videos.

To me, who is not familiar with the sport, I thought it looked accidental. But a ton of people chimed in saying in the decades that they've watched hockey, they had never seen anything like that before and the kick was intentional. I think the insight from people who have played in professional competitive hockey has been really important in learning what happened. Watching Petgrave intentionally kick his leg up frame by frame shows that he intended to hit Johnson with it. He likely wasn't aiming for the neck, but for his legs or knees instead. According to a former professional player, it's a dirty play that he's seen far too often happen and it can instantly end a player's career if the injuries are severe enough. And Petgrave is apparently known to be a dangerous, dirty player who has a history of completely ramming into his opponents and literally knocking them off their feet. By "literally", I mean that they are actually completely airborne. That's how hard he's reaming into them. One older incident is eerie to watch because you can see him sticking his leg out in a similar manner and sending his opponent flying... But yeah, after seeing input from others who are familiar with hockey or played it nearly all their life, I definitely believe that it was intentional and the manslaughter charges are warranted. On top of that, I find it disgusting that Petgrave and his team got a standing ovation at a game that took place after the incident... Why are people cheering for the manslaughter of another player? Also, it would not surprise me if Johnson was partially decapitated due to Petgrave's ramming force and the sharpness of his hockey skate's blade. It's crazy that Johnson died in hospital and not right there on the ice. Him being able to stand back up and skate towards the medics for a few seconds before collapsing was also insane to watch. He clearly fought to stay alive. What an awful way to go... And so young too; he was only a year older than me.

My heart breaks for his loved ones, though. His aunt was watching it happen live from a stream. His parents were probably watching too, either through livestream or at the arena in the UK. I also heard that his girlfriend was right there in the stands... I can't imagine seeing your son get hit like that, wondering if he might have been knocked out or winded from the blow. But the moment you see him stand back up, you have a split second of relief that he might be okay and it wasn't as bad as it looked... And then you witness half of his blood volume just spill onto the ice. (you can't tell at first that his throat had been slashed, and you can't really see any blood until it sprays out when he gets up.)

That is fucking heartbreaking and traumatic... :t-cry:
Please help my babies grow C:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Revan
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by Revan »

Airasyraye wrote: November 14th, 2023, 10:48:39 pmGlad you weren't hurt. You know that stupid idiot is going to cry about how she didn't mean it, and she's normally a safe driver, and she just panicked, and she's been having it so tough right now. The same old sob story that hit and runs usually make.
They haven't called me that they found her yet, but probably. Sounds about right.

SirChicken wrote: November 14th, 2023, 11:30:44 pmAs MadameRed said, that is truly horrifying! I hope you have a steady recovery, both physically and mentally.

I really don't know what goes through peoples' brains when they do something like this. My mom (who worked in the hit-and-run unit of our police department) always beat it into me and my brother's heads to never leave the scene of an accident no matter what. Even if you're afraid that you might have killed someone, do not leave. Leaving the scene is a punishable offense that can be upgraded if someone got seriously injured or died. My mom saw hit-and-runs so often that most of the people being jailed could have avoided any charges if they just stayed there.
For sure. The moment she decided to flee, it went from being an accident, or a possible misdemeanor for reckless driving, to a felony. I wasn't seriously injured, but the state apparently considers any hit and run offense involving any injuries a felony. Apparently it's even a crime to leave the scene of an accident you are just witness to and not directly involved.

Also, that story is terrifying. So sad for the family.
Need hatchlings?
Come visit The Hatchery!

Free Lineages!

If you visit my Keep, beware. I hoard owls. I am not responsible for any pecked out eyeballs or loss of fingers that may occur.
Wishlist :orly:
sammythethief
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by sammythethief »

Had the opportunity to fall asleep early tonight and stay asleep longer, since I've got a doctor's appointment in the morning and am going into work late because of it, and my body refuses to sleep :t-tantrum: My head still hurts too, which usually knocks me right out when I crawl into bed, so I'm not sure why I'm still awake :(
Be kind.
Please do not click any hatchlings in my Main tab. Thank you.
midnightem
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by midnightem »

Would anyone like to exchange holiday cards this year? I've been doing it for a few years on one of my other games and thought I would do here as well.

But guess what.... I'm apparently getting married in august!

"Wishing you success on your new adventure!"

Revan
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by Revan »

midnightem wrote: November 15th, 2023, 11:48:13 am Would anyone like to exchange holiday cards this year? I've been doing it for a few years on one of my other games and thought I would do here as well.

Congrats!
Need hatchlings?
Come visit The Hatchery!

Free Lineages!

If you visit my Keep, beware. I hoard owls. I am not responsible for any pecked out eyeballs or loss of fingers that may occur.
Wishlist :orly:
Merkwerkee
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade

Post by Merkwerkee »

midnightem wrote: November 15th, 2023, 11:48:13 am Would anyone like to exchange holiday cards this year? I've been doing it for a few years on one of my other games and thought I would do here as well.

Congrats! I'll be sending out holiday cards this year as well, and I'd be delighted to exchange with you.

Also, if anyone would like a postcard from Rome, let me know ^_^

The Shattered Compass
I do free CSS
Sig Set By Incandescence
sammythethief
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by sammythethief »

Congrats! I wish you a long, happy, healthy marriage!

I'd love to ass myself into sending holiday cards this year. Count me in!

___

I really hope work tomorrow isn't as busy as it has been so far this week. If the customers were just a little more competent, I would have so much more time on my hands. I start a new medicine tomorrow, so I'd just really like the general populace to manage to not run headfirst into debit card fraud for one day, maybe two.

I finally got around to hosting the images in my signature set that Rosehill made me on Imgur rather than Photobucket, so now those stupid watermarks are gone :hooray:
Be kind.
Please do not click any hatchlings in my Main tab. Thank you.
EstherGamer
Member of Artificer's Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by EstherGamer »

I'm finally starting to feel better. I think my Terraria run on my Switch has helped a lot especially recently when I decided "eh, whatever, screw it" and started a secondary run to get blocks from later in the game for my builds (Why are the invisible blocks only obtainable lategame. -. -), but I think other things have helped too.
I still don't know what to do about one serious issue with someone else on TCF. I want them to know that I'm trying to give them a chance, but can't do so if they don't give me a chance in return. I'm scared that if I try to tell them directly they'll just push me away again, and I'm scared that not doing so will have the same result. I'm scared that I'll feel worse if I let them say... whatever it is that they want to say.
TCF Profile: Here
If I'm in a RP here and stop replying without warning, message me on TCF because it's the fastest way to contact me
PFP is an edited version of Shaymin Sky's portrait from PMD:Explorers of Sky, I edited it myself
Life's a mess right now, go easy on me
Syndicate
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade

Post by Syndicate »

Officially 3700 words into the 5000 word report for my assessment!
There's 100 other students in my course and two assessors. I can't imagine reading 50 x 5000 word reports would be fun.

Return to “Community Discussion”