How Was Your Day Thread V5

Discuss MagiStream and site-related topics.
jmilana
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Re: How Was Your Day Thread V5

Post by jmilana »

blockEdragon wrote:
Ardroth wrote:@block

Wings of Fire isn't bad, but it's very childishly written, can't decide on if it actually wants a darker tone at all, and I really just think the potential for it was wasted on its target audience. That and the series is starting to get like Warriors, where it goes on and on and on for no good reason.

I've heard good things about that one. I'll keep it in mind. :)
Yea, Wings Of Fire certainly has a lot of flaws (especially a tone problem), the premise is unfortunately too kid-associated (talking dragons going on an adventure) to be made for an adult audience. I'm not overly familiar with how publishing works but if it's anything like movies or tv then it HAS to have wide appeal or no one will back it.

Personal theory: someone had a more tone consistent idea and the publishers demanded that they to edge it up to appeal to teens or demanded that they soften it out to appeal to kids.
Do you think Wings of Fire is a good series to use as an introduction to fiction/fantasy? My 11 year old cousin, Dylan, has just started to enjoy reading, and I'm super excited to introduce him to series I read as a kid. But he expressed an interest in dragons in particular, and I've heard good things about Wings of Fire but haven't read it myself. Is it age appropriate for an 11 year old? Also does it have anything in it that would upset his suddenly Catholic hypocrite mother? Don't even get me started on her. :( Apparently she gets to decide what he reads. She used to be a kind, funny person when she was just dating my uncle, but everything changed when they got married.
darksouls
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Fire
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by darksouls »

@jmilana

The very first book starts off with a dragon being gored in the forehead by another venomous dragon's tail, and his body being dumped down a cliff, so no, I wouldn't recommend it to a kid with a mother like that. :s It has a huge problem with tone, one second the young protagonists are making lighthearted jokes, another second and a dragon gets brutally murdered in cold blood, and the book describes their death as "the waves playing with the dragon's body". I shit you not.

I wouldn't call it necessarily INAPPROPRIATE, there's more you can get away with a book than a movie or show, but it has an extremely inconsistent tone. Warriors does too.

I CAN recommend however, Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke. Unless goofy/playful fantasy magic upsets his mother, it's a pretty safe bet. There IS mention of "dark magic" to animate a living being into something more, but that's kind of it.
formerly ardroth - they/them - plural + fictional - 25+
wishlist - alex's artwork - art's poetry - free creatures
Buying creatures born on September 22nd!
We are plural, posts are signed as needed. (Alex (he/they), Art (he/him), Cayden (he/it))
Alex manages transactions, click posts, and his art thread. We do our best to return clicks.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
darksouls
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Fire
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by darksouls »

As a side note, no I do not believe in censorship. Violence happens in real life, you can't have a story without a good conflict. But holy hell, Wings of Fire is NOT good at balance. Either make your story darker and gritty, or just make it a happy story and don't go overboard with the graphic depictions of violence.

There's a reason I stopped halfway through the first book.
We are plural, posts are signed as needed. (Alex (he/they), Art (he/him), Cayden (he/it))
Alex manages transactions, click posts, and his art thread. We do our best to return clicks.

Enchanteddil
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade

Post by Enchanteddil »

01st December :woo: :woo: :woo:
PKGriffin
Site Moderator
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by PKGriffin »

OMG, NaNoWriMo, why is your new site layout so wonky?! I just want to verify my word count, is that too much to ask? No, I don't want any of the social features, or to see how many people in my area are participating. When have I ever wanted that?
-------------------------
ImageImageImageImage
Enchanteddil
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade

Post by Enchanteddil »

I love going through wishlists. If I can send even one pair in a list, I'm happy ^_^ ^_^

Some wishlists are very long, with preferred genders. I love long, detailed wishlists <3
darksouls
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by darksouls »

Stream collection is DONE! :D

trystan830
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by trystan830 »

PKGriffin wrote:OMG, NaNoWriMo, why is your new site layout so wonky?! I just want to verify my word count, is that too much to ask? No, I don't want any of the social features, or to see how many people in my area are participating. When have I ever wanted that?
honestly, i'm hoping they get the wonkyness fixed by next november. it was kinda annoying this year. i miss the word count validator though.
ImageImageImageImage
Free Critters! message me with which ones you want
~*~*~
She changes everything She touches, and everything She touches, changes ~ Starhawk
Image Image
reading: To Catch a Witch by Heather Blake (#29) | watching: Severance
she/her | discord: trystan830
IFN | dragoncave | trisphee | ravelry | goodreads
HobbitFeet
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by HobbitFeet »

Spoiler
everyone in my house is a fucking mess
My Pokefarm!
Join me on Xanje!
Wishlist

☆·•●☽~Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?~☾●•·☆
SirChicken
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Light
CreaturesTrade

Post by SirChicken »

Yayy, our tree is finally up! ^.^ We opted for a fake tree last year (which wasn't put together at the time due to Christmas blues); it was sooo nice not having tree sap coating my hands and arms. That stuff is a pain to wash off. I do, however, miss that lovely pine scent... We're probably going to buy something that will give it that effect. But tomorrow we finally start decorating! :woo:

Also, I just spent all day on Pinterest. I think I've pinned over 200 images to my boards... Sometimes that just happens I guess :wat:
Please help my babies grow C:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Community Discussion”