Pets

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

DSCFate
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Re: Pets

Post by DSCFate »

Thank you for all the compliments given to my baby girl :D Now I can see the others might just be jealous of this girl (She's a sweetheart, except for the fact that everyday she wakes me up at 5:50 for food x.x)
Silenxia
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Silenxia »

I love her eyes, they look so big and innocent. But cats sometimes like to have silly habits, my cat liked kneading my back to get me to wake up...ouchie.
The Wishlist in my profile is outdated (I can't quite figure out how to edit it now, so many of the creatures there have already been obtained).

Gift ideas: I am looking for event creatures now, but most anything will go. Thank you to everyone who has helped me achieve my Crystalwing goals.

ImageImageImageImage
Brynmala
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade

Post by Brynmala »

I don't know anything about rat genetics but in cats lilac is caused by the 'Blue' dilution working on chocolate rather than black (Blue on Black gives blue, fairly obviously). Chocolate is the recessive version of black... quite rare and sought after.

In Greyhounds there's a colour called blue fawn, which is quite distinctive, a greyish cast to the fawn coat colour. What I can't find out is exactly how it is produced since there are genetically 2 ways to get what is usually called 'fawn' in Greyhounds. The most likely way effectively the same way as getting a lilac cat - the 'Blue dilution on a 'sable red' ie black faced fawn, which is the equivalent of chocolate in cats.

I think also these colours are very hard to photograph - how they come out depends very much on the ambient light and camera settings. I have so many photos of my caramel point cat (a modified version of blue, sort of sepia-tint or mushroom colour) where he looks 'just' blue it isn't true!

@ DSCFate - I think whoever called Hanji a dirty mop was being very rude, she's beautiful and deserves to be told so regularly! Only not at 5.30 am. at that time I think any rude name is appropriate.
Thank you to everyone who gifted me :)
Image "Just one small aubergine..."

RIP Phoebe (avatar cat) - 1995 - 2nd June 2012

nice ninjas?
Spoiler
Mine:
Sitting:

For Sale, Gender swap PM me to discuss.
Silenxia
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Silenxia »

A caramel point? I never heard of that in a cat, but I bet he looks gorgeous.
The Wishlist in my profile is outdated (I can't quite figure out how to edit it now, so many of the creatures there have already been obtained).

Gift ideas: I am looking for event creatures now, but most anything will go. Thank you to everyone who has helped me achieve my Crystalwing goals.

ImageImageImageImage
Brynmala
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade

Post by Brynmala »

He is - stunningly beautiful, and a right diva to go with it.

https://flic.kr/p/pyTyzV

I think this shows up how brown he is, though it isn't exactly the best portrait shot.

I've been meaning to post this for a while... we slightly illadvisedly acquired a fourth cat. She's an RSPCA rescue, a seal point of indeterminate age and breed. Given her colouring I think she has to be a pedigree rather than just a mog, but I'd welcome ideas on what breed you think she might be. I have my own idea of what I think she is, but I'd be interested in other views. (and I'm in the UK :))
Noodle:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brynmala/15576856145/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brynmala/15553167236/

These were taken when she'd only just arrived and was still quite skinny having been very ill. She's filled out a bit now. She still only has the 4 teeth though!

Edit: oh look, the photos didn't show up. What a surprise. Excuse my whilst I spend the next half hour tearing my hair out over this... Blegh - you'll just have to have links.

nice ninjas?
Spoiler
Mine:
Sitting:

TNHawke
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by TNHawke »

I'm going to go with pet quality (not show quality) exotic himalayan (short haired, siamese pointed, persian). She looks a lot like the 'throw backs' my neighbor would sometimes get out of bad pairings of her show cats (generally, when she sent a queen to a different stud rather than using her own). Usually she got the extreme face show winners.
Hawke's IRL fiance, Lunaroki, suffered a massive stroke and died on Tuesday, March 31st, 2015.

Hawke needs to concentrate on other things, and is leaving MS permanently.

Thank you all for many fun years.
ImageImageImageImage
Brynmala
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Brynmala »

That's one of the two possibilities that we've come up with - by coincidence I have a friend who has an Exotic and I'll be seeing her over Christmas so I'll compare notes. And no Noodle is nowhere near show quality for anything, despite the fact that we think she's probably been used as a breeding queen.

nice ninjas?
Spoiler
Mine:
Sitting:

ParadiseSeeker
CreaturesTrade

Post by ParadiseSeeker »

My neighbour I've known for a long time has a exotic pet sigh it's a chinchilla. They named him chase him and his wild instincts make him a real butt every time we try to clean his cage or feed him he makes weird noises at us and bites us. He's very weird anyone know why they do that, only reason I think is because he's not ment to be a pet and they don't really interact with him.
“...she said all writers were prima donnas, drunks, social misfits, pompous, or depressed. Brilliant, maybe, but completely crazy.” ― Ilsa J. Bick
TxCat
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by TxCat »

ParadiseSeeker wrote:My neighbour I've known for a long time has a exotic pet sigh it's a chinchilla. They named him chase him and his wild instincts make him a real butt every time we try to clean his cage or feed him he makes weird noises at us and bites us. He's very weird anyone know why they do that, only reason I think is because he's not ment to be a pet and they don't really interact with him.
Chinchillas sold as pets are generally raised with the intent that they should be pets. While they may retain certain behaviors which served them in the wild, they are still domesticated and can be good pets --- if you handle them and interact with them regularly. It sounds to me like no one had time for the little guy. As adults, it's difficult but not impossible to take them. He just needs an affectionate, patient owner or caretaker willing to invest the time in him.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. Harlan Ellison

DC: ImageImageImageImageImageImage Nyoka: ImageImageImage Flowergame: ImageImage
Silenxia
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Silenxia »

What a gorgeous Siamese, I can see what you mean about him being a caramel. I don't think there is names for some of the colors that animals can pop out.

Noodle seems like she has some kind of point in her, maybe a Siamese or related. But she's lovely.

ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Hall of Speakers”