Earth-Castle Gargoyle

Earth and Wind creature design contest
BBkat
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Earth-Castle Gargoyle

Post by BBkat »

So, finally got my creature finished, at least my Earth one.

Bit of an experiment since this was coloured all in Copic marker. Yup, that's all done by hand, traditionally. I tried to make it look stony, which was not easy.
Spoiler
http://icypheonix.deviantart.com/art/Ea ... -489760161 (Because apparently the image is a bit big for posting :derp: :sweat: )

And those are totally leaves it's sitting on...

Castle Gargoyles

These, often fierce looking creatures are actually very shy and docile. They make their homes in the abandoned ruins of castles and other stone buildings. They have a smooth, stony hide which feels much like sandpaper to the touch. Another, rarer variety is said to look and feel like polished marble. The wings on their back seem to have no use, being too small to lift their heavy bodies and magi have yet to understand why they even have them. Current theories are that they are used for display. They despise water and often find a dry place to hibernate through the winter to avoid the snow and ice.

Their eggs look like large, smooth stones and are often pick up by curious magi and brought back to the keep, only to hatch a while later. The young are about the size of cats and enjoy munching on rocks and gemstones to satisfy their voracious appetites, much to the dismay of their magi. A gargoyle raised by a magi is a stalwart companion and faithful guardian, and they are often kept for this reason.
They nest in large piles of fall leaves, which they can summon, or make fall from near by trees with the red gem in their chest. The gem pulses and can summon a flurry of leaves around the gargoyle. While they can be kept indoors it is not advised because they'll summon up leaves to nest in, leaving them all around the Keep and their magi's quarters.

Adults are the size of small ponies and their appetites have dwindled to needing to only eat once or twice a month, however they eat much more. The males and females are nearly indistinguishable from one another, though females often tend to be larger and more aggressive than the males. When threatened they generally freeze in position, taking on the appearance of a statue, their bright gold eyes giving away their true nature.

------

Contest requirements-
-large body structure- thick/dense and heavy
-made of stone- their hide is stone
-red crystal in chest- yep, a large red crystal
-orange, yellow and red leaves- they use these for nesting and summon them with the aforementioned red gem

Hopefully those count. I wanted to try something a bit different than a large, chunky rock creature, which was my original idea.
I'll work on getting the Wind creature done. It'll probably be done digitally.
ShadowVixen
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Re: Earth-Castle Gargoyle

Post by ShadowVixen »

Okay first off to get the one negative thing out of the way, I don't like the wings. But that might be because small wings on anything has always bugged me. But ignoring my own personal issues with wings the rest of the creature is amazing. I really like it. I was wondering why no one else thought of a gargoyle.
BBkat
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by BBkat »

Yeah, originally I was going to go the 'bulky Golem' type route, but after seeing several entries I decided I wanted to try something different. Then I remembered Gargoyles. They're usually made of stone. Why do a chunky, jagged rock creature, when I could do a smooth one? The rules didn't say it had to be jagged, chunky rocks, just made of stone. And stone can be smooth.

I just hope it fits the 'large body structure' criteria. It's kinda vague, I mean, does large mean, big like an elephant, or just, bulky. Like a fat cat vs a skinny one. I went more the latter(a pony-sized creature made of stone seems like it's be pretty big to me. Certainly won't be moving unless it wants to).
ShadowVixen
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by ShadowVixen »

When I first read the info it sounded just like a gargoyle to me. So that was my idea from the start. I found the hardest part being how to draw it. Since there are so many different kinds. I know where your coming from the the body structure issue.

Return to “October 2014 Monthly Contest”