To Emander Tyris...

"Summer at the Keep" writing contest
LightningDragon
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

To Emander Tyris...

Post by LightningDragon »

Neera plopped down in the hard wooden chair in front of her desk, staring at the carved wooden surface blankly. With a rumble, one of her thylacines laid her head in the mage’s lap, staring at her with big, dark eyes. “Oh, I’m fine,” Neera murmured, scratching Starseeker’s head. “Thane just read us something… interesting.”

With a final pat, Neera pushed Starseeker off and opened one of the desk’s drawers, pulling free a sheaf of paper. She stared at it for a long while, chewing on her lip thoughtfully. She folded her arms and furrowed her brow. She tapped her feet. Finally, she groaned and leaned back in her chair. “What do I write? I don’t do anything interesting for the summer. I’m not even usually here!”

Starseeker grunted from her place on the floor beside her mage and snapped at a passing fly. Neera continued to stare at the blank piece of paper with a dissatisfied air. “Well, I guess my routine will have to do,” she murmured, and dipped a puvia feather quill into an open inkwell.

After littering the floor with ink-stained, crumpled papers, and hunching over a letter for hours, Neera lay her head on the desk. “Finally.”

To Emander Tyris,

How interesting it is to hear from you. An anthropologist, you say? How do you raise your own creatures? What about your own cultures and traditions?

While I am not often in residence at the Keep, I know that summer can be a somewhat bittersweet time. Those creatures of the Arkene who have stayed as long as they can must now leave, lest they sicken from the heat. Those creatures who enjoy warmer climates can now visit the Keep, and it is a good time to travel if you enjoy sweating. As for the magi, we all do different activities throughout the summer.

While we most of us have classes, we all find a way to enjoy ourselves; most of us spend the heat of midday playing with our companions in the lake, or relaxing in the shade of the gardens, snacking on refreshing fruits. Others welcome the heat and sun with open arms and bask in the light with their feline friends.

Several magi celebrate summer holidays due to their cultures; while I am not one of these, the magi who do celebrate cultural holidays invite others to participate. Personally, my favorite is the summer solstice – we sit outside and watch the sunset in the late hours, eating and drinking and laughing.

As for daily routines, they are nothing special – to wake early in the morning, dress, eat, and head to my first few classes. In the afternoon, I am free to enjoy myself, and usually do so by relaxing and napping. By evening, I have another pair of classes to attend, and then it is time to sleep.

Raising creatures is a rewarding task. Most magi raise their creatures in the same way – we care for an egg until it hatches, and subsequently care for the baby as it grows. A bond usually forms between the two from magic, and becomes stronger as the creature grows.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Neera Yulsana
ImageImageImage

Return to “August 2014 Monthly Contest”