Post by Lisbels »

Here's my tale
I hope you like. :wave:
But don't fear
when you hear :t-puppyeyes:
a bump in the night.... Mwahahahaha. >D

Spoiler
A Night Like This…

“I’m looking good,” I said as I stood in front of the mirror. Not that I could really see a reflection, but it was probably a force of habit from when I was still human. For you see I’m actually a ghost. Long story short; I’ve been a ghost since last year. I made a stupid mistake, and now… here I am.

For some reason I haven’t really found the light yet, but hay I guess I’ll find it someday. After all, I have eternity to look for it.

Also being a ghost is a bit lonely, the only company I have is a black tienko that sometimes come sit on the window sill. They say cats have a finer sense to know when ghosts are close by. Do I believe who ever said that? Well...yes, yes I do.

You know what is scarier than dying, trying to warn your friends that they are walking into a death trap, but they cannot see, hear or even touch you.

So that is where this tale really starts. Like I said, I died a year ago on a very similar Halloween night, at this very keep. It’s not such a bad place for a ghost, the roof is about to fall in, the rose bushes are growing wild and thorny. There’s a decessus hollow under the floor, and the Alagos are always circling the roof top with their blood curdling screeches echoing through the crumbling halls. Oh, and don’t forget my favourite, the paintings of old magi’s that always seem to follow you with their eyes, that’s what really gets my blood curdling, if I still had any.

It’s Halloween once again, and of course, like me this place seems to attract other young magi’s from around the neighbourhood. Why, all year long they seem to avoid this place at all costs, but during this specific night they decide to go for a gallivant in the spookiest looking building on the block?

Though I did it myself, I still can’t really answer that question. It’s probably something to do with the festivities that mess with your head, or maybe they’re so hopped up on candy that they don’t realize what they are doing.

So at midnight (like all these events seem to take place) on this spooky dark Halloween night my friends Ean and Tristan decided to open the rusted old creaking gate at the edge of the keeps estate. I looked out of the window in terror as I realized what they were doing, didn’t they learn their lesson last year when I became the victim.

They still had their Halloween costumes on, Ean wore his favourite Zorro costume; he had worn almost every year since the third grade. Tristan in his own special way dressed up like a zombie; very tastefully I had to say, you could even see he spent allot of time working on the rotting flesh against his face. They each had their bags of candy and a lantern; if I knew them well enough Tristan would have probably said that a flashlight would ruin the whole scary effect, and Ean probably rolling his eyes would have agreed.
Ignoring the Forest Tylluan that stared at them over his shoulder from an old lifeless tree, they made their way up the twisting path that lead to the front door. They climbed up the stairs; I say climb, because it takes quite a bit off effort to get up those stairs without falling through the holes.

Now it was my turn, I had to get them away from this house as fast as I possibly could, and due to ghost law, I couldn’t leave the house until I spent a full year in its ruins… Yes there is something like ghost law. And the only way I could think of to warn them is to scare them away.

So with my ghostly speed I walked through the wall and opened the front door, which creaked open so loudly that even I felt chills running down my spine.

This made Tristan almost jump into Eans arms. But Ean with his young boy machoness wasn’t going to be scared so easily, he dropped Tristan and entered the dark dusty maw of the keep. Darn! I was sure that would have worked, but I followed them still determined.

Ean holding the lamp in front of him lead the way to the dining hall. Tristan was extremely close on his heals; I could see the poor boy shivering, and I knew it wasn’t because of the cold. “Maybe we should leave? You know what happened with Simon last year,” I heard Tristan say; I was relieved to hear that at least one of them had some sense.
Ean just shook his head, “No, we’re doing this for Simon, we must.”

What! They were doing something for me? They were going to get themselves killed for me that’s what. Angrily I tried making some spooky noises, like banging on the floor and squeaking the chandelier’s chains, but even though this made Tristan’s eyes almost pop out of his head they kept on going. I knew where they were heading, they were going upstairs; that was the worst possible place to go. Even I didn’t go upstairs; and I’m already dead.

Slowly they walked up the stairs; each step creaked so loudly I’m sure it woke the ghosts in the graveyard out back. The lantern shone dimly; I wished they brought more light, because the hairs on my arms suddenly stood on end as the darkness of the second floor encircled us; like a hunter circles it’s pray. There was no going back now, I couldn’t think of anything scary enough to scare Ean. I knew how tough he was, he could sit through a whole horror marathon and still sleep like a baby the next night. I only followed in dismay; they didn’t notice it, but because to my ghostly senses I could see the darkness slowly creeping closer and closer towards my friends.

I had to warn them, but how, with what? I looked around anxiously, but it was too late. Their lantern suddenly died; even though it wasn’t out of oil. I knew they would soon follow. The darkness had encircled them completely and though they could not see it; I could see the glowing eyes watching them up close. I could hear the heavy breathing and feel the room temperature drop. Ean fumbled with a match, trying to get the lantern up and going again, but to no avail.

Suddenly I saw a black figure moving closer to them; relieved to see it was the Black tienko that always stared at me through the window. This suddenly made my own eyes widen in surprize, I thought the tienko never entered the house. The Tienko disappeared into the darkness again; it must have been the tienko’s eyes that I saw, and it was probably just Triston’s breathing. But to my despair I was terribly wrong.

My ghostly heart stopped when my friends suddenly fell to the floor, and were dragged into the cold dead darkness; it was as if something had grabbed them while they weren’t looking. They scratched at the floor and their yells echoed through the neighbourhood. Their cries of despair muffled by the chilling screeches of the Alagos circling the building at this late hour, their dead eyes searching the ruins to find the latest victims.

It felt like hours; helpless to try and help them I stood and watched as their cries for help was slowly and painfully muffled. The darkness disappeared just as suddenly as it appeared, leaving the room bathed in the soft moonlight that entered the broken windows.

I felt a tear come to my eyes; I didn’t know ghosts could cry. Then I saw them, standing over their mangled body’s staring down in utmost despair. Ean, Tristan and the Black (Well, see through now) tienko.

They looked up at me, and I smiled, “High guys, what took you so long.”

Return to “2013 Halloween Writing Contest”