Winter Park - Sneekpeak

This section is for writing that is completely your own, including the world it is set in

Moderator: Tea House Moderators

Royal
CreaturesTrade

Winter Park - Sneekpeak

Post by Royal »

I'm currently writing a book that I'm aiming to get published, and I might as well show a little sneekpeak of what everyone should look for. This is a small selection of Chapter 1, the first draft... comments are appreciated, but critiques aren't as much because this is a first draft - it's getting better.
My scream echoed through the cold, haunting night as pain ripped through my right forearm. I wanted to pull away from the jagged teeth that were tearing the flesh along my wrist, but a pale, firm hand was holding it in place. Its other hand was locked around the back of my neck. And then, in a second, the creature’s teeth were inches from my own face, lips pulled up into wicked smile. Those teeth, or more accurately, fangs, were long and sharp. The kind that could cut into one’s skin like a shark taking its first bite into its prey. Blood, my blood, dripped from the creature’s lips as one of its hands moved to cover my mouth to prevent me from screaming. I locked my wide eyes with the creature’s, staring into those demonic, wine red eyes.

A manic laugh rose in its throat and my head started to spin from the blood loss. I was losing my breath as the creature pulled its other hand to hold the back of my head, letting my injured arm drop to my side. It pulled my head back to make my neck visible, using my hair as the means to do it. What scared me the most was how the creature looked: pale, dirt-spotted skin with dark bags under its soulless eyes. Black hair flowed down its head in a wild look and facile hair grew along its cheekbones – but it hadn’t been able to grow for a long time now. Clothes like mine, but more ragged and dusted, covered its body over its ice cold skin. It looked human.

Its wicked smile grew wider, making its blood-stained teeth even more visible. “Oh, shush,” the creature spoke, its voice making the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. The creature turned its head from me and it was looking into the darkness across from us. “Remember, you must fulfill the end of your bargain now.” It wasn’t speaking to me now, but to something that hid in the darkness. “No?” the creature said with a tilt of its head as if the answer had been spoken back to it. I couldn’t concentrate on any of the voices, only on my pulse, which I could feel pounding in my ears. My legs were starting to give way under me but the creature continued to hold me up with his inhuman strength. “Alright then, it’s her life.” I felt the hot breathe of the creature on my face and the smell of metallic blood made my head spin. Finally, I felt a pressure against my throat and someone shouting in the distance to stop. Without a reaction to the voice in the darkness, the creature bit down once more, leaving me in a complete daze, the white hot pain starting again, but soon it washed over into nothingness.

There was nothing but darkness for minutes, not even my own body existed. I felt like nothing, just a still air stuck in a complete black hole. However, only after that did I hear a soft rumple, a purr, slowly growing louder with each minute that passed. And suddenly, a bright golden light filtered in through the darkness, flashing in my eyes, and finally that soft purr grew into many more rumbles, some loud and obnoxious, some short and almost comforting. And then, there was a bump and my eyes flew open, throwing me back into the world I knew all too well.

The Florida light was blinding as it reflected into the front passenger window of the jet black 2010 Mustang Convertible GT Premium, where I sat. I moved my right hand up to cover my weak eyes from the rays of the blazing sun. As it turns out, my hand wasn’t reduced to a bloody pulp like I saw just minutes ago, but instead a silver bracelet coil twisted around comfortably on my perfectly unarmed right wrist. I was lying back in a cushioned, gray leather seat in the car, trying to let my eyes adjust from that world of darkness I dreamt about to this bright, busy highway. It took me a few minutes to remember where I was headed to and who was driving the car.

I turned my head towards the driver’s seat, a smile spreading across my face when I saw Gabe. He has always been the greatest man I know – average in some people’s eyes but never mine. He stood a few inches above me in height and he’s built the way a lead baseball player would be; stocky and strong, but not big like a football player. His skin was a perfect golden tan and his hair, never dyed once, was a bleached blonde, close to the color of newly fallen snow with a shimmer of sandy yellow. His eyes, compassionate and warm, are a brilliant sapphire blue. He’s a charming man; one that never did anything to harm even a fly. His smile could light up anyone’s day and his arms are strong and welcoming – a forever friend. If you are hurt and in need of someone to comfort you, even if you don’t show it, Gabe was the one to call. His voice, too, was soft and wise – like a soothing melody. Any women that would date him would be the luckiest girl in the world. But I wasn’t and never will be that girl – I don’t see Gabe as a boyfriend, more like a brother instead. His full name, perfect fitting his character, is Gabriel Elias Siren.

“Good morning,” Gabriel started, turning to look at me for only a second. His gem-colored eyes sparkling and a warm smile spread across his face, his pearl white teeth shining. He turned back to the road but continued to speak, “You’ve been asleep for awhile. Were you having another nightmare?” I saw the movement as he gazed at me through the corner of his sapphire eyes.

I pulled myself up only to reach down at a bag at my feet. “Yeah, another one,” I said with a short sigh. After I grabbed what I needed to, I leaned back in my seat and laid the object in the center of my lap. It was my journal. I keep everything in it, all my dreams, and just things that happen to me. “It’s the forth one this week.” I continued, opening the journal and flipping past most of the pages until I stopped on a blank page. I’ve had this journal for about ten years, since my horrifying senior year memory. I never look back at those old, yellowed pages in fear that the memory would replay itself in my head like so many times before.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “The Parlor”