Notes on Potooto Cross Breeding Attempts: Unsuccessful

Put your entry for any competition here.
MothballMilkshake
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Notes on Potooto Cross Breeding Attempts: Unsuccessful

Post by MothballMilkshake »

My name is Artemius Fulkir, and I am documenting my research below in the hopes that should I succeed, the world will know of my brilliance.

My aim is to breed a creature with the friendly temperament of the potooto, though without the fear, clumsiness and forgetfulness. The purpose: Creating a small, trusting, reliable creature with which to send parcels, packages, etc long distances.

Breeding attempt 1: Gryphons (Onyx, Sand, Ash, Gold)

Attempting to introduce the potooto to a gryphon did not go well. I had hoped that this cross would transfer some of the gryphons independence and bravery, with the offspring resulting maintaining the potooto’s placid nature.

Unfortunately, the gryphon appears to be too aggressive and territorial to allow any mating to even occur. After the feathers cleared, the potooto chosen for this experiment sat cowering in the corner of the enclosure, its fearful nature seeming to be the only reason the gryphon did not view it as enough of a threat to eliminate entirely.

This potooto will be retired. This experiment has been a failure.

Breeding attempt 2: Pegasus (Dark, Regular)

Whilst capable of flying long distances, their distrust of magi they do not know do not make these creatures suitable for my purpose. A cross breed would in theory allow a creature both to travel far and wide, and be trusting enough of people to deliver their goods to the intended recipient.

Though the introduction of the two was not so dangerous as previous, despite all encouragement and spells to assist, there was no interest or attempt in breeding. The two creatures maintained their distance, and no further interaction was possible. This experiment was a failure.

Breeding attempt 3: Winged Cat (Black, White)

I continue with other winged mammals in the hopes that I will find one compatible. These cats are intelligent, which would potentially pass down to any offspring, balancing out the incredible stupidity of these potootos. I chose a female cat in heat and a male potooto for this experiment, having witnessed the determination these felines have during breeding season.

Though the female yowled and rubbed against the potooto in encouragement, the creature appeared oblivious as to what was happening. The foolish thing rolled onto its back and attempted to play with the cat. She retired in frustration. This experiment was a failure. I will attempt again, however, with a male cat and female potooto.

Further notes on attempt 3

Though I left the creatures briefly during the day and did not witness the full interaction, I believe I have had success. The potooto appears to be pregnant, laying around in lethargy. I will report back once the eggs have arrived.

Egg notes

These eggs are not what I would have expected from a pairing between a winged cat and a potooto. Terribly mottled with purple and red, a single wing showing out the side – but this is a cross that has never been attempted before. I cannot say what the combination egg should look like, after all. The female potooto has nested on one of the climbing shelves I installed for the winged cat to sun himself. The cat takes no interest in the eggs, though that is not unusual.

Egg notes, cont.

That blasted cat! It appeared one of the eggs was attempting to hatch, when he came along and knocked it right off the shelf, cracking it on the floor. All that time, wasted – but – wait. There is movement. I will report.

Hatchling notes

This hatchling is not what I expected. It has large, owl like eyes, nothing like the father. It retains all the possible colours of a potooto, red, purple and brown, and it does have large white (White-ish) wings. So far it is not demonstrating the intelligence I would have hoped for – perhaps the stupidity of the potooto is too strong to overcome, even for the genetics of the intelligent winged cat. It has not yet mastered the art of walking, and it will be a long time before it takes to the air. I will continue to monitor.

Hatchling notes, cont.

Blast and damn it all! As I was setting up to observe whether these growing hatchlings could potentially be nocturnal, I noticed with dismay a stray Wolphyn squeezing in through a hole in the ceiling. A gap, really, barely there. The cat ignored the creature but the mother potooto greeted it with delight. Two incredibly stupid creatures, breeding without my approval or knowledge. No wonder these offspring are so awful.

I will investigate all other potooto enclosures for similar signs of external entry.

Experiment notes, failure, conclusion

The wolphyn were relentless. Almost every one of the 10 female potooto I had brought with me for these experiments were pregnant with these abominations. As the creatures grew, I decided to study them nonetheless to determine if anything useful could be made of them. I witnessed the creatures grow to adulthood and introduced them to one another. Although they were willing to reproduce, they lost all interest in the eggs shortly after, refusing to incubate or care for them. These creatures will be able to exist only with the most stringent of human intervention, and there is no reason to continue their species.

I have been advised that my experiments have lost all city funding. I will need to abandon this place. I will remove the creatures I have brought with me, however these useless cross breeds I leave to nature. They will not survive without any parenting instincts, and will be a single generation of failure. At least they will not go on to remind me of my embarrassment.

In conclusion, potooto are not suitable for cross breeding purposes. It is impossible to breed such a creature that would counteract the incredible stupidity these creatures are born with. Though friendly and loyal, they will never be used in service as I had hoped.

Artemius Fulkir
ImageImage My babies thank you
ImageImageImage
Member of the Watershop. Shop price+300, I can get you your creatures! Creatures for sale in my extra and SALE tabs, PM me

Return to “Competition Entries”