Pertwila's Entry ---- Farir and Myriad

Users were given the opportunity to design a creature and have it released.
Rinrin
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Pertwila's Entry ---- Farir and Myriad

Post by Rinrin »

I don't know where this came from. I was just sitting there, bored, and I thought "I want to draw a leaf-creature!" So I did. Here's the rough sketches for them and their descriptions. Not sure yet if this is what I think they should look like. Constructive criticism, please? C:

General:
The Farir are a race of forest inhabitants, not often seen by magi. These creatures are the forest's manifestation of health and life. They exist only so long as the forest that spawned them still lives. Farir are often leaf-like in appearance and they change according to their environment. The seasons also bring a change about them, for when the forest is in full bloom, as are the Farir. They exist as leaf-like creatures, changing colors with the forest. In the winter, their leafy appendages become stick-like and they resemble leaf skeletons. If their forest is unhealthy, the Farir begin to dissolve as they are spiritual creatures and may only exist so long as the forest is healthy. Coming across one of these creatures depends on the magi, because only those with good intentions for the forest may see them. The magi believe that glimpsing a sight of one of the Farir is a good omen.

Adult:
Farir adults are beautiful and lithe, though they are merely the size of normal leaves. They flit from tree to tree with a grace that cannot be mimicked by any creature with a true physical body. Every spring, when the forest begins to grow again, and the trees leave their hibernation, the adult Farir make their way to the heart of their forest. A large gathering of these beings occurs and they hold ceremony to the forest that spawned them. This is where new Farir are born each year. If anything interrupts this ceremony, no new Farir will be born. This is a sign that the forest is becoming ill, for it is the duty of the adult Farir to maintain forest health to the best of their ability. Adult Farir have their own magic, and this is the healing magic that keeps their home alive and well.

Egg:
This egg resembles the bud on a growing plant.

Hatchling:
The bud-like egg unfolds into what appears to be a leaf. The tiny creature is fragile only in appearance. It flits up and around its new home already at peace with it, though just released from its egg. Young Farir are mischievous spirits just learning to harness their subtle magicks. They enjoy spying upon traveling magi though they are sometimes visible for all of their magic skills are not fully developed, including their ability to cloak themselves. These younglings grow quickly and are always fully grown when summer begins.

I suppose this is what I believe the Farir look like. At least, this is what their leaf-like forms appear to be.
Hope they don't look too mediocre. C:
Constructive criticism, please?
Last edited by Rinrin on September 16th, 2009, 9:13:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rinrin
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Re: Pertwila's Entry ---- The Farir

Post by Rinrin »

I will be adding an image for this soon. Please read through and critique this as you see fit. I feel that it needs much work, but I hope that I am able to convey my creature to you well enough for you to get the gist at least.

Myriad

General:
Myriads are a strange sort of being, made of an ethereal material. Touching one of these creatures send chills up the impact area although the creature itself possesses no real temperature. The equivalent of the substance that the Myriads are made of is of a gossamer veil. Myriads can condense their form into any living being or object in the world, although their initial ethereal appearance and feeling will never disappear. They usually assume the likeness of an amoeba, but if another creature or object tickles their fancy then they choose that form. When looked at they seem to shimmer in and out of existence, not easily visible from any angle. In low light the Myriads are nigh on invisible. Myriads have the ability to touch a person or creature and make them forget anything and everything they were currently doing. No magic can oppose the will of such creatures. Creatures such as this are rare and must be caught or found at a young age, before the will of their adult personality sets in. If left to their own devices, Myriads may skulk about any area with living beings, causing havoc as they please. The Myriads are greatly sought after, for no other creature provides such complete protection to the magi who trained it. Any living creature or person who wishes harm upon the master of a Myriad will immediately forget such thoughts as soon as the Myriad touches them.

Adult:
An adult Myriad is a being to be reckoned with. It's ethereal body is hard to spot almost anywhere, and are best seen in direct rays of sunlight. They inspire fear in all creatures wherever they go, and any living being who is unfortunate enough to cross paths with a Myriad had better count their blessings if they leave with their present thoughts intact. Adult Myriads, like their young do not usually have a chosen form, choosing to instead shift through whatever form suits their tastes for the moment. A large number of adult Myriads are employed to magi and are diligent in their tasks. They provide near-perfect protection for their current charge. Myriads can sustain no injury by physical means, and their own magical defenses are strong.

Egg:
This egg shimmers in and out of your vision and as you pick it up, you feel it has no temperature, yet it sends chills up your arm.

Hatchling:
The strange shimmering egg begins to undulate and shimmer violently until finally it ceases its erratic movement. What can now be seen is an ethereal gel-like creature. It is small in it's stature, but you feel it holds great power. Curiously, the young Myriad explores the area around it. It crawls, slithers, oozes, flies, and hops about, changing form until it settles on one that seems to please it. As it explores, you notice that it slips in and out of your vision. The Myriads must be trained as guardians young, and you feel that this creature with definitely be a handful.
Last edited by Rinrin on September 16th, 2009, 10:24:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rinrin
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Rinrin »

RESERVED.
Merkwerkee
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade

Post by Merkwerkee »

they look fascinating! they have the same sort of disguise as katydids

The Shattered Compass
I do free CSS
Sig Set By Incandescence
Rinrin
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Rinrin »

Do they?
I'm never sure what a katydid looks like.
xD;;
I confuse them with other bugs too often.
Merkwerkee
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade

Post by Merkwerkee »

lol. katydids look like leaves to blend in

The Shattered Compass
I do free CSS
Sig Set By Incandescence
Rinrin
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Rinrin »

Oh, haha. I guess that makes sense.
They don't use the leaf as a guise though. They can cloak themselves in magic to hide. Farir look like leaves sometimes, simply because I think that a forest spirit can manifest as a leaf-like being. That one up there looks like a leaf, but others look like any sort of plant. Leaves, Pine needle sprigs, Blossoms, Vines. It all depends on the forest and the Farir. They can be whatever their little hearts desire. O:
Ice
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Ice »

Oh, I really like the concept behind these! Original, out of the ordinary, and a very good job. :D
- Mah Eggsies -
ImageImageImageImage
- Priority Hatchlings -
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
:t-ninja: I ninja click siggy eggs. *kung fu pose* :t-ninja:
Rinrin
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Rinrin »

Thank you, thank you!