November Mid-Month Doni: Calcite Crystalhog (1459)

Discuss MagiStream and site-related topics.
sammythethief
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

November Mid-Month Doni: Calcite Crystalhog (1459)

Post by sammythethief »

It's the 15th, so that means a new mid-month doni was released! I waited to see if someone else would create the thread, but I didn't want to wait too long, so we can properly admire them! As always, they're found in the Donation Shop for 2 Shards.

Sprites by Munin.
Description by Kestrad.

Creature 1459
Calcite Crystalhog Image 2 (two shards)

Image-----Image-----Image
No dimorphism.

Descriptions:
Spoiler
Egg
This egg is covered in lovely crystals that remind you of Callisto Islands beaches. Being near it makes you feel mentally quicker.

Hatchling
Crystalhog hatchlings are active immediately after they hatch, wasting no time in exploring their vicinity, looking for tasty insects to eat. They are not particularly fast at this age, but given the species' lack of desire to stay still ever, it's not uncommon for a crystalhog hatchling to wander one way while their parent wanders in a different direction. It is fortunate that they are born with their spiky, tough crystals, since crystalhog parents are not always prompt at finding their offspring, so the hatchling must be able to defend itself properly in the meantime. Magi caring for a crystalhog hatchling generally find it easier to simply place a tracking spell on their companion rather than try to take it along when they must go to class or spend long periods studying, as hatchlings like to explore and are fairly capable of fending for themselves until found and reclaimed by their magi. As they get older, they will usually find their own way home using their pathfinding abilities, meaning very little care is required at all for older crystalhog hatchlings.

Adult
Crystalhogs are considered adults when they stop growing larger, which is usually about half a year after they hatch. Adults are even more active than hatchlings, always exploring, and so it is both common for crystalhogs to be stumbled upon at strange places in the Keep, hunting a tasty insect, and for a magi's crystalhog companion to not be at the Keep at all. Adult calcite crystalhogs have a more potent focusing aura, and so it is not uncommon for a magi to attempt to keep one nearby during study or research. However, this is usually best accomplished by hiding a snack in the vicinity in a tricky spot, so that the crystalhog keeps attempting and failing to reach it. Calcite crystalhogs shed their gems continuously, one at a time, so in a pinch, if a calcite crystalhog can't be kept around effectively, one of their crystals will help with focus, though not as effectively.

General
Unlike their cousins, the gemhogs, crystalhogs are constantly in motion from the moment they hatch, so much so that there are legends that crystalhogs must stay in motion or their heart will stop. Such legends are easily disproven, though, as crystalhogs also startle easily, and are capable of being perfectly still when rolled up in a protective ball of crystal spikes. Crystalhogs are not particularly affectionate companions, being prickly in both demeanor and looks. They are always slightly grumpy to be called upon, usually requiring tasty bribes if a magi wishes to befriend one, but when startled, the eyes peeking out from the spiky bundle look downright reproachful. Like their gemhog cousins though, crystalhogs are excellent pathfinders - and in the case of calcite crystalhogs, this literal skill also confers metaphorical prowess to those around them. Therefore calcite crystalhogs are often used both to find the shortest route home from a place, and also to help aspiring scholars focus their mental efforts. Oddly, despite this power, they themselves are not the brightest of companions, and it is not an uncommon sight to see a calcite crystalhog attempting to solve some puzzle or other by repeatedly trying the same thing over and over again despite a lack of success.

I LOVE the little side eye on these sprites; I get this exact look from my GSD when he's judging me :lol: And their little almost space-cadet descriptions of wandering off are precious. I can't wait to see what the adults look like!
Last edited by sammythethief on November 15th, 2023, 10:00:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Be kind.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Please do not click any hatchlings in my Main tab. Thank you.
Aflame
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Light
CreaturesTrade

Re: November Mid-Month Doni: Calcite Crystalhog (1459)

Post by Aflame »

bombastic side eye!! and so shiny hehe
Image thank you for the amazing gifts <3Image
wishlist join the ms discord! my shop

Syndicate
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Light
CreaturesTrade

Post by Syndicate »

These are gorgeous. I can’t wait to see the adults!
Merkwerkee
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade

Post by Merkwerkee »

Crystalhogs? For my birthday? Don't mind if I do ^_^

The Shattered Compass
I do free CSS
Sig Set By Incandescence
sammythethief
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by sammythethief »

These are so gorgeous. They definitely have a judgy stare, and I love their claws - like little painted nails!

Tbh they sound like a great ADHD companion :lol: I could use one of these little boogers at work.
Be kind.
Please do not click any hatchlings in my Main tab. Thank you.
feralkiwi
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by feralkiwi »

thanks i love them <3 <3
(pronouns: they/them)

happy 15th magiversary!

<3 clicks appreciated-just to hatchling pls <3
doing bloodline swaps- 1st gen emerald wyverns | lts keep clean
Rainwater
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by Rainwater »

These are pretty cute. Still trying to decide if I want to get a hatchling for my collection.
Image <3 Image <3 Image <3 Image Eggs for clicking! :look:ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Community Discussion”