Monogamy, Polyamory and the like

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

Corvidae
CreaturesTrade

Re: Monogamy, Polyamory and the like

Post by Corvidae »

Spoiler
TxCat wrote:I found the term used for animals (and I include humans in that classification) who take a single mate at one time, but who may have several long term mates or relationships in their lifetimes. It's called serial monogamy. Also, please remember that polyamory, polyandry, and polygamy are not the same nor are they interchangeable.

Polyandry is the practice of having more than one husband.

Polygamy is the practice of having more than one wife.

Polyamory simply means 'many loves' and can define multiple relationships of differing degrees between consenting adults which can have physical, emotional, or psychological aspects or any combination thereof. Within polyamory, there are terms for the different types of relationship groupings. As soon as I can find my reference book, I'll post more about that.
Just out of curiosity, what made you feel the need to post this? o_0 Were any of us displaying terminological ignorance?

As a side note: Wow, 'terminological' doesn't trigger spell check.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
TxCat
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by TxCat »

Corvidae wrote:Just out of curiosity, what made you feel the need to post this? o_0 Were any of us displaying terminological ignorance?
The definitions were pasted out of notes from my references books. I do hope you'll forgive me, but I'm not entirely perfect and I sometimes don't catch repeat information/information which doesn't need to be in what I'm snipping. The discussion and definitions come from The Ethical Slut, How to Be a Happy Lesbian, and one other book I'm still trying to locate.

I especially like the idea of serial monogamy because it seems to fit so many couplings whereas strict monogamy does not. I know of many people who only want one relationship at a time, but they have had more than one relationship throughout their lives. That does not strictly fit the definition of monogamy, which implies that the partners are permanent for the lifetime of the participants and that there is only one another.

I would disagree that the human race in general is monogamous. I would argue instead that it's a social imposition which has been placed upon the rest of the world as the standard model. Many Middle Eastern and African countries do not practice monogamy. In fact, the laws make provisions stating that if something happens to a husband, his brother inherits the widow even if he's already married. There are some Polynesian and South American cultures in which that is also the case for the female and/or they may have several husbands.

If human beings were naturally monogamous I do not think that there would be so much cheating in relationships...and both men and women cheat and not all of them do so because they are tired of their spouses. Most of the ones I have known indicated that the person with whom they cheated was able to give them something the spouse could not, whether it was an emotional or psychological or sexual need. Much of the time it turned out that both the husband and wife were cheating.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. Harlan Ellison

DC: ImageImageImageImageImageImage Nyoka: ImageImageImage Flowergame: ImageImage
GamingGal
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by GamingGal »

The human race might not me monogamous by nature, but I think they tend to lean towards it at times.

If you don't agree with that, perhaps you'll agree that females tend to be monogamous? I think males are the ones more prone to polygamy or anything of the like. To feel....dominant and better than other males.
Wish Central is OPEN! "Tiny curtains open and we heard the tiny clap of little hands
A tiny man would tell a little joke and get a tiny laugh from all the folks.
Sitting drifting around in bubbles and thinking it was us that carried them
when we finally got it figured out that we had truly missed the boat"
Modest Mouse says...
BluMajica
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident
CreaturesTrade

Post by BluMajica »

GamingGal wrote:The human race might not me monogamous by nature, but I think they tend to lean towards it at times.

If you don't agree with that, perhaps you'll agree that females tend to be monogamous? I think males are the ones more prone to polygamy or anything of the like. To feel....dominant and better than other males.

I would perhaps suggest that it is more an instinct than a "better than other males" which i guess it what it is in layman terms.

I think that people in my grandparents era (late 80's onwards) tend to be the true monogamous relationship example - from my perspective they are the ones who take one partner for life and their marriage vows very seriously. People who are 50 and younger tend to be the serial monogamous relationship example - many partners at different times.

But apart from that, personally I think I'd love to have the type of relationship TxCat described back on the first page. my partner is more than open to the "love triangle" but also agrees that if it were to be for us, then rules would be defined to reduce any jealous tenancies that may arise from walking in on one couple in an intimate position. And that the female (most likely) would have to be good friend with us both or have feelings towards one partner and friends with the other situation, or be willing to be. its almost like an emotional relationship versus the sexual one - where for us at least the emotional one takes precedence.

i think that the way TxCat and her hubby have approached the situation in their lives is a wonderful thing...(sorry mind blank on the right words..) and that all parties are consenting to those rules makes it easier to live together. There is of course friction, but that happens in all relationships - its how you deal with it that counts. The communication TxCat mentioned as well is very important - in all relationships that are considered.

from a personal point of view, Im kinda jealous that you have such a wonderful loving relationship with them all :lol: , and kudos to you all for being able to live that way. Im sure its difficult at times.
Beetle by Cassowary

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ― Harlan Ellison

I was Mordeth - I am now not. I'm gone again - find me on VOU if it's urgent under Mordeth
flamekaat
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by flamekaat »

I myself am in an arrangement other then Monogamous. Which is something I did not previously believe I could tolerate. I started out with the opinion that if the person was with two people they could never give either of them what they deserve relationship wise, and I HATED that anyone would behave that way towards the one I love. Now I am accepting of it because I took a look at him. I took a look at myself, and i said..."Self you are being cruel. not only is it unfair to get into a relationship and think you are going to change the person. You should love them for who they are and not try to change their ways cause that's silly. Also you know for certain this person is important to him and it would crush him to lose her. Same for her. You don't hate without good reason yet your actions before(towards her especially) have been without any other reason then jealousy and hate and other ID originated foolishness. Let go!" My love is indeed incapable of monogamy. He could not do it if there was one man and one woman left on the planet. He'd want to be with both and if I was the woman I would be fine with letting him because it helps him and I want him happy not depressed and repressed. I do however want more attention. My fair share would be invaluable to my flagging self esteem. And at one point I felt like I was worthless because I couldn't hold him by myself. You have to remember if you are in a screwy relationship and something is not working it is not all due to a one sided fault. EVERYONE in the relationship loop is somewhat at fault to varying degrees. K done now /mouthiness :sleep:
Umbria:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Tinni
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade

Post by Tinni »

I am monogamous, been in the same relationship forever and then some.

I am with the person who was my first boyfriend and have spent more than 25 years in the same relationship.

As far as is that the only way? I think every relationship should suit the requirements of the individuals in it, what suits my husband and me, is not necessarily what is right for everyone else.

The difficulty comes up when the people in a relationship are themselves not very sure of their feelings.
ImageImage
Spoiler
To Hatch only, please

Code: Select all

[url=http://magistream.com/creature/7891261][img]http://magistream.com/img/7891261.gif[/img][/url][url=http://magistream.com/creature/7891482][img]http://magistream.com/img/7891482.gif[/img][/url]
My MD Threads
Spoiler
Image[/center]
BluMajica
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident
CreaturesTrade

Post by BluMajica »

tinnidawg wrote:I am monogamous, been in the same relationship forever and then some.

I am with the person who was my first boyfriend and have spent more than 25 years in the same relationship.

As far as is that the only way? I think every relationship should suit the requirements of the individuals in it, what suits my husband and me, is not necessarily what is right for everyone else.

The difficulty comes up when the people in a relationship are themselves not very sure of their feelings.
I think that in todays day n age - this is a very significant achievement. I think there are only a handful of people who could claim that and be under the age of 60. i think that a lot of people can learn from these relationships and use the knowledge they gain to better themselves and their relationship.

it is a lot about communication and being happy with WHO your with, as well as yourself. if you are not ok with who you are, then you do have problems in the relationship as you can not be in the relationship to make you.. if that makes sense.
Beetle by Cassowary

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ― Harlan Ellison

I was Mordeth - I am now not. I'm gone again - find me on VOU if it's urgent under Mordeth
GrowlingCupcake
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by GrowlingCupcake »

TxCat, I too am jealous xD That situation seems awesomely ideal. I'm hoping that eventually I get there <3

I first ventured into a polyamorous relationship 'cause I wanted it. Both partners were fine, of course, but I initiated the whole thing. When my male partner then wanted to do the same thing, I found I was rather opposed. This being a double standard, I shoved it into a tiny little ball, squashed it down and told him to go ahead. And that's about when I realised that all my issues with jealousy and the like, came back to one thing: I felt insecure about who I was. He loved the hell out of and I was fully aware of that. But, I was unhappy with whom I was and constantly comparing and thinking he'd do better with someone else. Now though... I'm not completely happy and I still have a lot of moments of insecurity and self-loathing and worry but I'm "better" enough to be secure in that my partners can love me and someone else without it meaning it's "bad" for me.

Has anyone else had this kind of feeling or come to a similar conclusion or the like? What issues has it raised for yourself, personally? And how'd you realise/come to the conclusion/whatever of picking (serial) monogamy or polyamory or whatever?

Sorry if Cupcakebrain is not so coherent. Cupcakebrain seems to be half missing today D:
Working on getting back into things after a forced hiatus.
LTS: Shards at 50k each.
TxCat
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by TxCat »

GrowlingCupcake wrote:Has anyone else had this kind of feeling or come to a similar conclusion or the like? What issues has it raised for yourself, personally? And how'd you realise/come to the conclusion/whatever of picking (serial) monogamy or polyamory or whatever?
I think those are natural emotions which will come to light in any relationship, but they're particularly crucial to be dealt with in a polyamorous situation. I am not, by nature, a jealous person. I just don't have it in me to be so. I take thorough pleasure in seeing what my lovers can offer one another and knowing that we each have something unique to contribute.

I do, however, sometimes wonder just what on earth they want with me. Had I been my husband, I would certainly have gotten rid of me long ago. When he married me, I was mostly healthy, able to bring in an income to the family, and able to take care of the household matters. Now, I require someone to take care of me most of the time (can't even bathe or dress myself without help because the limbs are failing as the paralysis advances). I spend most of my day in a wheelchair, either asleep or on this computer. The few things I can do around the house, I do still perform but it seems to me an uneven bargain for all involved.

Luckily my lovers see it otherwise and when I get into that mindset they help me through it instead of rolling eyes and saying, "Here we go again."

Some of it, I think, has to do with the fact that we all took a lot of time to become friends first before we ever crossed over the threshold into being lovers. Dee has known me, as I said, for almost thirty years off and on (and in spite of some rather amusing things like my kidnapping him at a band event and stuffing him in the cargo bays on our bus because I wanted to take him home --- he was the Air Force cadet assigned to guide us around the Air Force Academy and I damned near cost him his career!) My husband and I have been together for fifteen years and married for ten of those years. Dorie and I have known one another almost ten years now, a friendship which was build slowly on line and at sporadic meetings at a convention. The real test of that relationship came last spring, when I was in the hospital and her existing husband (they were in the process of separating) wouldn't allow her to come to me after the doctors said I was dying. Dee came instead, I obviously lived, and we rode out Labor Day weekend to get her things and take her home.

Obviously, it could have ended badly. Some adjustments needed made because suddenly the house had two more people than planned in it. I won't say there weren't some crash-bang arguments and the "D" word wasn't thrown around in moments of anger.

The difference, however, was that we did allow one another space to cool down and we could rationally discuss it later, including validating the person's feelings, if not the truth of those feelings, and acting to ensure that everyone felt more secure.

We're friends first, then family, and finally lovers which is why I think the arrangement works so well.

And you never know how things will shift. My husband initially said there would be no way he would ever take on a male partner. Now he's considering allowing himself to explore that option with Dee.

But very definitely communication is key, alongside honesty. There are certainly some things your partner(s) don't need to know, but there are many that they do. Otherwise it becomes the proverbial elephant in the room.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. Harlan Ellison

DC: ImageImageImageImageImageImage Nyoka: ImageImageImage Flowergame: ImageImage
XornzerSkooma
CreaturesTrade

Post by XornzerSkooma »

I'm polyamorous. I'm in a relationship with two people as of now; a boyfriend of mine that lives in the same state and I'm able to see about once per month, and me and him are in love with a guy from that's out of state. He's bisexual so he's capable of having relationships with women too, but I stick with guys only because I'm homosexual. When it comes to the relationships we have, it's mainly emotional love with a side of maybe a couple of close sex buds. There's a few out of state folks me and my mate(that lives closer to me) hope to meet some day. The thing about me is I tend to fall in love easily because if someone is really nice to me, I tend to grow deep emotional feelings for that person. With women I'm capable of having deep emotional feelings like with guys, but I cannot return the sexual feelings. At first I felt guilty about it and hated myself for being polyamorous, but I've come to accept it and feel much more comfortable with it. I'm pretty comfortable with it now and accept it. My peronal feelings is, even though it's considered taboo by many, it's love, which is a really wonderful thing, and as long as it's consenting, no problem with me.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

ImageImageImage

Return to “Hall of Speakers”