Pets and Animals

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

TxCat
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Pigs and Wildlife (was Breed Bans)

Post by TxCat »

Myrin wrote:Either Discovery Channel or NatGeo did a show a while ago called Hogzilla, named for a picture of a huge wild hog someone had killed that was circulating around the internet at the time. But most of the show was about the growing problem of wild hogs in general, especially in the American South.
Our Florida black boars are descended directly from the hogs the Spanish brought over. They escaped and diversified; while not truly a boar (opposed to the near extinct European boars or even the Texan javelina hogs), they do show some of the wild traits as you said --- including nasty tusks and a short, bristly coat as well as a slightly different body structure.

One spring, I had one which took exception to the existence of my garden. He ate everything down to the roots, even the two foot tall rosemary bush (Heh...pre-seasoned on the hoof!) The neighbors, who are of Appalachian stock, took to hunting it. Technically you're supposed to have a license, I think, but it had started charging people and threatening pet enclosures (with the pets in them, obviously). When it was shot, we had an old fashioned pig roast.

Best meat ever.

Normally I try to leave the wildlife alone to live out its life in its own habitat --- obviously they were here first --- but sometimes it's just not possible.

So...we're not zoned for pigs because of the problem it poses to the insurance for liability and because, with the water table so close to the surface, their waste would likely damage the drinking water (not to mention the swamp ecology).
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. Harlan Ellison

DC: ImageImageImageImageImageImage Nyoka: ImageImageImage Flowergame: ImageImage
GrowlingCupcake
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Re: Pets and Animals

Post by GrowlingCupcake »

I rather want to have a pig as a pet but not a full-sized farm one; I've not looked into it but there are smaller ones, yes?

As for current (non-human) pets:
#1: Nutmeg, our 11 year old kitty
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/ ... G_0766.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/ ... stairs.jpg
We have better photos, I'm sure, but they'll be on my father's computer as he's usually the one who takes them. I prefer not to take photos of her since she is bugged by cameras. No idea why. Perhaps some noise?

We got her in September of 1999 when she was an itsy bitsy kitten. My father heard her crying during a rainstorm on his way up to our apartment, picked her up and she's been a member of the family ever since. Originally, the parents wanted to give her up but she was too damned cute.

She's an indoor/outdoor cat now; when we were in the apartment, she was solely indoor but now that we live in a house, she wanders outside whenever she wants. If the door is closed and she wants to come in, she "knocks" on the maid's window. We're all very much her bitches.

She's gotten more affectionate as she's grown older and now she almost always purrs when I pat her. She still hates being carried and doesn't like too much attention; has to be just enough and just the right way xD

#2 & #3: Rubik and Loki, doggies from the same litter and about a year old
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 2438_n.jpg
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 9553_n.jpg
Loki
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 4525_n.jpg
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 6033_n.jpg
Rubik

My father used to have dogs and loves them so we decided to get two. Nutmeg doesn't really care for them but she tolerates them and mostly prefers to stay upstairs anyway. They're both fascinated by her but back off when we tell them to or when she hisses at them.

Loki is always, always happy. She goes around doing everything with three exclamation marks. She is very affectionate, always wants to be patted and grins a whole lot. She loves sitting in the sun and stuffed toys. She has a really, really short attention span and is very distracted by everything. She is not the brightest dog in the world. She doesn't really care about most food.

Rubik loves people and food. He too is very affectionate but he is more willing to wait till we call him over. He's more confident; Loki is quite scared of new people and it takes her a long time to warm up. When she does, though, she will not leave them alone xD He's smart, learns fairly fast and steps on my feet a lot. He also has a perpetual worried look, even when happy.
Working on getting back into things after a forced hiatus.
LTS: Shards at 50k each.
Synchronized
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Synchronized »

GrowlingCupcake wrote:I rather want to have a pig as a pet but not a full-sized farm one; I've not looked into it but there are smaller ones, yes?
No-- there's no "miniature" pigs, or "teacup" pigs or anything like that-- at the very least the majority of pigs will get around ~30" at the shoulder or so, which doesn't sound big... but while not tall, they're thick and long as well. It would be akin to having a really, really fat dog in your house, I'm sure. As well, I think you'd have to have extra space in the yard since some pigs would rather be outside than in.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Image Art by Munin.
ImageImageImageImageImage
TxCat
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Pigs

Post by TxCat »

Synchronized wrote:No-- there's no "miniature" pigs, or "teacup" pigs or anything like that
Not exactly. The important thing to remember is that pot bellied pigs, which is what most people have as pets, are miniature compared to a full grown domestic pig, which can reach weights of 1000 pounds.

Pot Bellied Pig Size and Weight
All Potbellied Pigs are miniature when compared to their cousin, the farm hog. Hence the name miniature pot bellied pigs. When full grown, a farm hog can exceed 1,000 pounds. Thus it is obvious why Vietnamese pot belly pigs are considered miniature. Also, weight is not always the best way to describe them. Their bodies are very compact and solid. A 100 pound pig can be the size of a small dog that weighs 35-40 pounds.

A full grown Vietnamese potbellied pig can be anywhere from 100 to 250 pounds and not be overweight, and is still considered a miniature potbellied pig. The average size seems to be 120 to 150 pounds but just like humans, pigs do come in various sizes and weights. With proper feeding and exercise your pig will grow to its predetermined genetic size. You can affect your pet pig's weight through overfeeding, underfeeding, or a lack of exercise (just like us!). This is not a good idea and could cause serious health problems!

The average full grown pot bellied pig is anywhere from 16-26 inches tall at their shoulders. I am 5'4" and my biggest pig, Ziggy comes to just above my knees.
In other words, they get to be as large as a Saint Bernard or Mastiff. "Miniature" is relative. The site, by the way, is an excellent resource for those considering getting pigs as pets.

Here's the data from the agricultural division of OK State:

Vietnames Potbelly Pigs

And the North American Pot Bellied Pig Association:

http://www.petpigs.com/

I've even seen some instances where they are starting to be used as alternative guide animals for the blind and for those who are wheelchair confined. Since they are more intelligent than dogs and learn faster as well as living longer, they can stay in service for a longer period. Most service animals have to retire between the ages of 8-10.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. Harlan Ellison

DC: ImageImageImageImageImageImage Nyoka: ImageImageImage Flowergame: ImageImage
TxCat
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by TxCat »

Thread has been locked because I irrevocably scrambled it in an attempt to split and merge threads elsewhere. You can find the new topic and post in it HERE. Thank you for your cooperation and patience, I appreciate it!

Return to “Hall of Speakers”