Religion- Read first post please

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

missshadedlove
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Re: Religion- Read first post please

Post by missshadedlove »

I am christian. I was raised that way. When I was younger, I was forced to go to church but as I got older it relaxed..kinda. Let's just say family things happend. But anyway..as a christian I personally don't think you need to go to a church on sunday. The Bible itself says "For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them" Matthew 18:20. So It could be me and my mom worshiping and God is there. I do normal stuff. I go to the movies, etc... I have not been baptized yet but that will come in time. I don't read my bible on a daily basis...to me that doesn't make you christian either. Daily bible reading isn't bad I just don't think you need to read it everyday to be a christian.
And another thing too..I am more into goth,punk,metal music/dress. I love alot of that music, 99.9% is secular. That doesn't make me less christian. If this doesn't make sense but I just explain weird! :lol:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Marsupial
CreaturesTrade
Location: Comfortably nestled in a jewel-infested lair, a warm fire burning inside.

Post by Marsupial »

This doesn't seem an old thread, so I'm going to post. ^.^

Anyway, I'm a Christian, though not a brain-washed freak. I actually have opinions contrasting to those God supposedly has. I mean, the Bible could be somewhat outdated, right? What if His opinions changed? For example, He is actually okay with homosexuals now, then the Bible would be inaccurate, right? One of the things I really like about religion are the questions. It is doubt that keeps our faith alive, isn't it?

I also tend to curse, though I never use His name, or anything related. I actually use some of the stronger curses, though almost always when I'm angry. I'm not ashamed to curse, everybody does at one point in time, right? I'm now trying to use different languages for cursing, though the only one I know is "verdammt".

Whoops, getting off-topic there.
Goodbye, and good luck!
Taking long hiatus; may pop in if I can.
Do you know me?
HobbitFeet
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by HobbitFeet »

Marsupial wrote:I'm a Christian, though not a brain-washed freak.
That's not a nice thing to say...
Marsupial wrote:For example, He is actually okay with homosexuals now, then the Bible would be inaccurate, right?
When was that decided, and by who? How does anyone know anything's changed, simply because a majority of people feel one way or another on any given topic?
My Pokefarm!
Join me on Xanje!
Wishlist

☆·•●☽~Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?~☾●•·☆
crazyflight
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Air
CreaturesTrade

Post by crazyflight »

HobbitFeet wrote:
Marsupial wrote:For example, He is actually okay with homosexuals now, then the Bible would be inaccurate, right?
When was that decided, and by who? How does anyone know anything's changed, simply because a majority of people feel one way or another on any given topic?
In Marsupial's defense, many people throw those kinds of insults at Christian people. I don't think she's saying that "Some Christians are brainwashed freaks, but I'm not;" rather, she's saying "I'd like to clear up that although I am Christian, contrary to common belief, I am not a brainwashed freak." Of course, I could be wrong, but this is what I got from the message.

I think the sentence would make grammatical sense if the word "if" was put after the comma and before the "He," making the sentence more of a speculation than a stated fact (or opinion, or what you will). I don't think any hostility is necessary (because that's what I'm getting, although I'm probably wrong), because you might be misinterpreting her point. Maybe the Christian God is okay with homosexuals. Maybe he still believes that man shall not lie with man. We can never truly know.
always looking to buy streamborn opal and diamond gemstone kirin!
also happy to buy water shop creatures for shop price + 100g for whomever wants!
<3 <3 <3
HobbitFeet
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by HobbitFeet »

I said nothing hostile. Also, I'm interpreting the first sentence the exact way you've chosen not to. The fact that she followed up her admission with examples to prove he or she is unlike "the others" makes it seem like they're attempting to separate themself from other Christians, rather than a preconceived idea.
Marsupial's welcome to clarify either point, if they so wish, but I'm taking everything the way it's currently written.
My Pokefarm!
Join me on Xanje!
Wishlist

crazyflight
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Air
CreaturesTrade

Post by crazyflight »

:t-shrug: I usually don't go by literal interpretations of things, so I might be wrong. I don't think we should debate what someone may be thinking when they haven't defended what they wrote yet, so I'm not going to directly respond to your previous statements.

I thought that this was hostile:
HobbitFeet wrote:
I don't really want to explain why... It just felt as though you were attacking them. It's not my point or my debate, but I just thought that that phrasing was unnecessary and you could have used a better way to illustrate what you wanted to say without striking it down like that. This isn't a debate, it's a discussion. Especially on the touchy subject of religion, it's best to... You know. >.< I'm bad at communicating.

I don't want to argue with you about this petty issue. I really don't. I'm not responding after this.
always looking to buy streamborn opal and diamond gemstone kirin!
also happy to buy water shop creatures for shop price + 100g for whomever wants!
<3 <3 <3
TxCat
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by TxCat »

Please stay with the thread's topic of discussion. The moderators, not players, will decide whether or not a person's statement breaks the rules. Use the report button, DO NOT discuss it here.

-- TxCat, moderator HoS
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. Harlan Ellison

DC: ImageImageImageImageImageImage Nyoka: ImageImageImage Flowergame: ImageImage
Taxi
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade

Post by Taxi »

HobbitFeet wrote:I said nothing hostile. Also, I'm interpreting the first sentence the exact way you've chosen not to. The fact that she followed up her admission with examples to prove he or she is unlike "the others" makes it seem like they're attempting to separate themself from other Christians, rather than a preconceived idea.
Marsupial's welcome to clarify either point, if they so wish, but I'm taking everything the way it's currently written.
Actually, you're not "taking everything the way it's currently written." Instead of taking her response for what it is- an attempt to distinguish herself from more radical Christians, you assume she's labeling all other Christians as "brain-washed freaks." Of course, you're entitled to your opinion, but when you decide to take things personally and respond with your special brand of "nothing hostile," expect responses with an attitude. If it were up to me, I'd say I'm pretty hostile right now, but with your interpretation, I'm simply "taking everything the way it's currently written."
Of course, this is in no way accusing you of breaking any rules, just another point of view on how you responded to Marsupial.
Marsupial
CreaturesTrade
Location: Comfortably nestled in a jewel-infested lair, a warm fire burning inside.

Post by Marsupial »

Crazyflight wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:
In Marsupial's defense, many people throw those kinds of insults at Christian people. I don't think she's saying that "Some Christians are brainwashed freaks, but I'm not;" rather, she's saying "I'd like to clear up that although I am Christian, contrary to common belief, I am not a brainwashed freak." Of course, I could be wrong, but this is what I got from the message.
Yes, I was trying to say that. :sweat: I should have made my meaning quite clearer.
Crazyflight wrote:I think the sentence would make grammatical sense if the word "if" was put after the comma and before the "He," making the sentence more of a speculation than a stated fact (or opinion, or what you will). I don't think any hostility is necessary (because that's what I'm getting, although I'm probably wrong), because you might be misinterpreting her point. Maybe the Christian God is okay with homosexuals. Maybe he still believes that man shall not lie with man. We can never truly know.
I thought there was something wrong with that sentence. :derp:

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, I had to leave in a few minutes at that time.

Ta-ta! :wave:
Taking long hiatus; may pop in if I can.
Do you know me?
HobbitFeet
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by HobbitFeet »

I'm glad you cleared it up, Marsupial, but my original question still stands (ask it to yourself in a bored voice if that'll clear up any misinterpretation of my intent or tone). A lot of Christians I've heard speak about god in general don't have him changing his mind about anything between the time the Bible was written and now. The way it was worded had me thinking you viewed god as a being who had in fact changed his view, hence why I asked "who said that?" What would make you think he can, or would? Or maybe the better question would be, how much of the Bible do you feel is accurate? Is it more a guideline of how to act, or do you think any of the stories in it are true?

If anyone has anything to say not related to the discussion, you're welcome to drop me a line in my inbox.
My Pokefarm!
Join me on Xanje!
Wishlist

Return to “Hall of Speakers”