The Book Wyrms - a Magistream Book Club - OPEN

The place to converse with other members of a guild or club.
sorakaji
CreaturesTrade

Re: The Book Wyrms - a Magistream Book Club - OPEN

Post by sorakaji »

Yeah, I think most people didn't like the epilogue of the Harry Potter series.

I just started Game of Thrones, finally! Have y'all read that?
TxCat
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by TxCat »

I've read three books in the Song of Ice and Fire series that game of Thrones is part of and I don't know if I want read more. It starts out promising but by midway through the second book it devolves to "lather, rinse, repeat" on the story line. Character development for the most part becomes nonexistent and the politics and graphic descriptions of sex and battles overwhelm what little plot might be left. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the first three books in the series.

Right now, I am reading nonfiction: a book about how modern Natives in North America perceive the Christian religion; a book by TE Lawrence about his time with the Arabs during WWI; and a writer's guide about murder and police procedures.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. Harlan Ellison

DC: ImageImageImageImageImageImage Nyoka: ImageImageImage Flowergame: ImageImage
coatimundi
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by coatimundi »

I love books, let me in!
Username:coatimundi
Favourite books/authors/genres: Rock Riordan, Erin Hunter, Adam Blade, fiction, Chronicles of Avantia, and fantasy
Recommend ONE book! Tell us why it’s great! you guys should definetly read Survivors:The Empty City By Erin Hunter because it has a great plot, characters, and diversity. It looks like Erin Hunter has come out with a great new series starting with The Empty City
ImageImageImageImage Please give da clicks! Image
fennelstar
CreaturesTrade

Post by fennelstar »

I love books, let me in!
Username: fennelstar
Favourite books/authors/genres: Umm.... Brian Jaques, Watership Down, the Ink series (as I call it), Warriors, Lord of the Rings, Hunger Games (Catching Fire mostly), and most fantasy. I'[ve also been liking historical fiction lately.
Recommend ONE book! Tell us why it's great! Seraphina, by Rachel Hartman. A very unique, interesting dragon story. The main character has a passion for music, and her teacher is a dragon in his human form. There is some mystery involved and a touch of romance, and the story is set in a medivial time period. Seraphina (the girl) is a very intelligent, sharp and interesting character. Read it!
I am sadly behind on art, so if I owe you something (whether free or paid), please PM me! Also if you want to do and art trade, buy my art, or anything, PM me :D My dA is here: http://fennelstar.deviantart.com/gallery/

Image[/url]ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Selinea
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Selinea »

Welcome new members!
fennelstar wrote:I love books, let me in!
Username: fennelstar
Favourite books/authors/genres: Umm.... Brian Jaques, Watership Down, the Ink series (as I call it), Warriors, Lord of the Rings, Hunger Games (Catching Fire mostly), and most fantasy. I'[ve also been liking historical fiction lately.
Recommend ONE book! Tell us why it's great! Seraphina, by Rachel Hartman. A very unique, interesting dragon story. The main character has a passion for music, and her teacher is a dragon in his human form. There is some mystery involved and a touch of romance, and the story is set in a medivial time period. Seraphina (the girl) is a very intelligent, sharp and interesting character. Read it!
I love the Redwall Series! My favorite one is The Outcast of Redwall. What about you? And I feel like I've seen you in some other guild but I can't remember...

I've been reading The Brothers Karamazov for school, and it's not super exciting so far (doesn't start with as much of a bang as Crime and Punishment), but I'm getting drawn in and the "From the Author" part of it was brilliant.

I think I'm going to make a library run this weekend. The public library is now so far away. :t--.-:
fennelstar
CreaturesTrade

Post by fennelstar »

I love The Outcast of Redwall! Also Eulalia, Tagarrung, Mattimeo (Slagar!) and so, so many others... the only one that didn't catch my interest was the Bellmaker, for reasons unknown to me.
I am sadly behind on art, so if I owe you something (whether free or paid), please PM me! Also if you want to do and art trade, buy my art, or anything, PM me :D My dA is here: http://fennelstar.deviantart.com/gallery/

Image[/url]ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Selinea
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Selinea »

fennelstar wrote:I love The Outcast of Redwall! Also Eulalia, Tagarrung, Mattimeo (Slagar!) and so, so many others... the only one that didn't catch my interest was the Bellmaker, for reasons unknown to me.
Maybe because Mariel of Redwall had ended rather well already, so The Bellmaker felt like an unnecessary tag-on? At least, that's how I always felt about it. I wasn't a big fan of Loamhedge, so I haven't even read the books that come after that. (I know, I'm a terrible fan.)

Does anyone know any good non-fiction ghost story books? Or just something that's creepy and "based on a true story"? I don't want full blown Stephen King horror, but something that worms its way into your brain with a "What If..."
sorakaji
CreaturesTrade

Post by sorakaji »

TxCat wrote:I've read three books in the Song of Ice and Fire series that game of Thrones is part of and I don't know if I want read more. It starts out promising but by midway through the second book it devolves to "lather, rinse, repeat" on the story line. Character development for the most part becomes nonexistent and the politics and graphic descriptions of sex and battles overwhelm what little plot might be left. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the first three books in the series.
Yeah, I have heard that the 3rd book in the series isn't as good, but that the 4th one gets good again. I guess I'll have to find out if I'll read more, once I finish the first one.

I'm also reading The Affinity Bridge, which is a steampunk mystery story. That got me thinking, do any of you guys read Steampunk books?
Selinea
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Selinea »

sorakaji wrote:
TxCat wrote:I've read three books in the Song of Ice and Fire series that game of Thrones is part of and I don't know if I want read more. It starts out promising but by midway through the second book it devolves to "lather, rinse, repeat" on the story line. Character development for the most part becomes nonexistent and the politics and graphic descriptions of sex and battles overwhelm what little plot might be left. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the first three books in the series.
Yeah, I have heard that the 3rd book in the series isn't as good, but that the 4th one gets good again. I guess I'll have to find out if I'll read more, once I finish the first one.

I'm also reading The Affinity Bridge, which is a steampunk mystery story. That got me thinking, do any of you guys read Steampunk books?
I think I've posted this before, but I started Game of Thrones and then quit like, not even a third of the way through. It's just too messy. I like complicated story lines, but I also like being grounded with a couple main characters I really like, instead of being cast adrift in a sea of names, none of whom particularly stood out or had me cheering for them.

Yes! I love steam punk, so I think I'll go check that out on my next library run. I started by reading The Time Machine by H.G Wells a long while ago (which is a bit steam punk to us now, but I guess it was more science fiction when it was written). More recently I read Leviathan and Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld (still need to read the last book, Goliath. I just started it and then had to return it because I was leaving for college) and for class spring quarter, I read Perdido Street Station by China Miéville.
sorakaji
CreaturesTrade

Post by sorakaji »

Selinea wrote:
sorakaji wrote:

I think I've posted this before, but I started Game of Thrones and then quit like, not even a third of the way through. It's just too messy. I like complicated story lines, but I also like being grounded with a couple main characters I really like, instead of being cast adrift in a sea of names, none of whom particularly stood out or had me cheering for them.

Yes! I love steam punk, so I think I'll go check that out on my next library run. I started by reading The Time Machine by H.G Wells a long while ago (which is a bit steam punk to us now, but I guess it was more science fiction when it was written). More recently I read Leviathan and Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld (still need to read the last book, Goliath. I just started it and then had to return it because I was leaving for college) and for class spring quarter, I read Perdido Street Station by China Miéville.
I think that's the most common problem I've heard from people about game of thrones. It's pretty crazy how many characters get equal spotlight, with no one being more central to the plot than anyone else. My mom thinks the book I have spent the last several years writing has too many characters, and I told her she had no idea how few characters I have compared to many other books.

I haven't read Goliath yet either, but I read Leviathan and Behemoth awhile a couple years ago, and I loved them. I just haven't had anyone to borrow the 3rd one from, or anywhere to find it cheap.

Return to “Guilds Quarter”