Gold Devaluation?

Discuss MagiStream and site-related topics.
kavala
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Re: Gold Devaluation?

Post by kavala »

ellysketchit wrote:...average user makes 10k per day?

There's where we're going off, and this is what we need to nail down with a poll, perhaps. What *does* the average user make? Because I highly doubt it's 10,000 gold.
And perhaps we should make a poll about clicking adult creatures for gold.
For me it also kind of idle work, getting gold just for gold sake. Getting gold should be awarded only for raising creatures. Now it is getting more and more authomatic, I'm afraid sooner or later people will use some bots to gather gold from mines. I my opinion getting gold should be linked with doing an actual work for the site - raising a creature. People usually get money for purposeful, useful work, why here should be different? Let's earn gold for something good for others. Or... let's make a big red button in the middle of the MS site and click it for gold. For me it is pretty much the same as gold mines. (This issue deserves a separate topic, I think)

I don't know if we should blame mines for gold devaluation but it is definitely not a good idea, unless there are mines with hatchlings and eggs.
GrowlingCupcake
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by GrowlingCupcake »

There's where we're going off, and this is what we need to nail down with a poll, perhaps. What *does* the average user make? Because I highly doubt it's 10,000 gold.
If you're referring to wolf's post, she's not using real statistics/numbers but just using ones to explain what she is trying to say. Numbers for MS will vary but the situation is still the same.
Working on getting back into things after a forced hiatus.
LTS: Shards at 50k each.
BluMajica
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident
CreaturesTrade

Post by BluMajica »

there was already.. ahh Found it!
8-community-discussion/76267-how-much-g ... -earn.html

Most average users from clicks/posts alone earn 1-5k per day according to that poll...which does not equate to the problem of mass golds from img free mining. as most users in that thread state they get most of their gold from selling things.

so...assuming this is true across 80% of the MS community, then a lot of people are saving lots.
Beetle by Cassowary

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ― Harlan Ellison

I was Mordeth - I am now not. I'm gone again - find me on VOU if it's urgent under Mordeth
shadowrose45
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by shadowrose45 »

Not sure if gold is in a devaluation stage or not. Magistream runs on donations. Tristan wouldn't bother with the hassle of this place without the people that donate. What would be the point for him? He had a great idea and the knowledge to make it work. Good for him.

The problem? Adults that can donate had a distinct advantage over other players. "We" can donate money and buy almost any creature that someone is willing to sell if we sell enough new donation pets.

The Fix? People that can mindlessly click can earn money now, too. With snaplinks and the other click things like the image-free links...everyone has a shot at making money here.

Personally--I have not the time or inclination to go to image-free places to earn gold. I had a stroke--clicking the darn mouse is hard enough for when I 'need' to. My daughter mines for her gold. She does ok with it.

One smallish problem? No one is clicking in the click threads like they used to. it takes me days and days to get ANYTHING hatched--which frustrates me no end. Again, it's a click and grow site--but if no one clicks---it's just annoying. And, hey--I don't click much. Back to that "no time" thing.

Smallish fix? We can twitter them four or five times a day for three days and get about anything to hatch.

The "new" critters in stream or shop give the average player a way to make gold. First days are always a way for them to make gold. I almost ALWAYS buy the new creatures from players at absurd prices--because I know it's the way THEY can make gold.

People get all they can for creatures while they have value. Elk were worth a fortune--then went down to almost nothing. I love my Elk--but they pay nothing so I no longer breed them. Tinsels and Coals still have value--limited breeding. Most other creatures--ALL of the breedable ones--go down in value quickly and the players know this--so they sell early and they sell high and make what they can because in a week that 200k hellhound will be worth 50k just like every other Quest Creature.

The OLDER the site gets--the more RARE the rare critters become. People quit coming with TONS of old creatures hiding in their keep I'd kill to get from them! Finding a temple cat or unicorn now is damn near impossible--none exist that anyone will sell.

Some things are more popular than others. People are selling those lovely cats this month for insane amounts--and getting it. After Halloween, they won't be worth nearly as much I imagine. Even I'm selling them for 20k a shard verses my usual 10k--(cuz I know those players are just going to resell them)

Personally, if the price paid for shard pets hadn't gone back up---I'd have stopped donating. I don't have time or ability to mindlessly click--my gold comes from donation sales. I'm not spending $20 of real money to make less than 100k in gold. Not happening. Why? That 100k in real gold will barely buy ANYTHING.

Mine away those that mine. Buy away those that buy. Live and let live.

My main issue with magistream is the absurdly long time it takes to hatch and grow things. I'd LOVE to breed my babies--but I just can't sit on them for hours to hatch. The Daycare sites are mostly useless. I've paid thousands to sitters...another rant...but...the point is...eggs are harder to grow--and I think THAT has impacted the gold values hugely.
16/25 Thanks

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Umalia
CreaturesTrade

Post by Umalia »

I doubt wolfeyedangel meant that everyone makes 10k gold a day. I think she was just using it as an example. But really, making 10k in a day is pretty easy with mining. And I know that it was mentioned before, but everyone can mine. Even those with outdated technology can do it, if not as efficiently. I think most people make such low averages either because of not mining (because it's boring, hard with old tech, ect.), they don't have/take the time to play much, or they're just lazy.

I make less than 5k a day (excluding days I sell creatures, which are rarely expensive ones). Yet I have just over 370k, which is a fair amount. However, if I mined, I'd probably would be pretty rich as I spend quite a few hours a day on here. But I don't mine because Firefox likes to crash. Now, if I was really determined to make gold for whatever reason, I could put up with it. Otherwise, I'm just too impatient and lazy to mine. In the end, I think that's what it comes down to for most people.
wolfeyedangel
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by wolfeyedangel »

@randomname: The 'whatevers' are 'whatever the currency happens to be' just like 'Thingy A' is 'the item people are paying for with whatever the currency they have.' Here it's gold. But for the principle, it doesn't matter it could be gold. It could be chickens. It could be horse shoes. It could be jade sqwiddies. What matters is the ratio. The point was, Currency becomes less available. Prices start stay high for a period of time, because markets do not have instantaneous corrections. This is not a 'rule' this is just a reality of what happens when people are trading with each other no matter what the currency. During that 'correction period' the thing people want to buy is extremely expensive, almost unattainably so. The price 'corrects' but the ratio between 'average buying power' and the price of the 'thing people want' remains the same. In my example: it still takes the users in that scenario 10 days to earn enough to buy it... which means nothing has changed effectively. But since there are more people earning that same amount in 10 days the price probably 'stabilizes' higher (because the quantity of what they want to buy hasn't increased) so it might take 13 days to earn it, which means the 'balancing effect' has been counter productive to the goal of making 'the thing people want' more affordable. It just LOOKS more affordable compared to the old price.

That's why I don't get why you're saying adults giving gold is a flaw in the system. The ratio between earning and cost is at best going to stay the same if the number of desired objects stays the same, and it's the ratio that matters not the absolute numbers.

~Wolf
PBEs in which I participate: High Reaches 4th Pass, Golden Valley Weyr
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Pink
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Pink »

My solution: If you don`t like the prices, don`t buy. If people stop buying insanely high-priced donation critters (or newly released critters), than the sellers will sell them for less. And if the majority of people want to stop these prices, why don`t we just sell them for low prices and not buy them insanely high? I know that people are greedy and I know that a lot of people will 'BAWW' but if we don`t want this economy to fall apart, well it`s just a small sacrifice and you`ll get used to it over time.
I know that when I joined, there wasn`t a problem. Donation pets we being sold at the most 10k a pop.
Why can`t we just go back to that?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Umalia
CreaturesTrade

Post by Umalia »

You can't "just go back" to something. The site has developed this way. You either have to influence it to change (there are guilds that try, though I have yet to see them succeed much) or let it completely break down so that the economy can reconstruct itself.

This really goes back to the "it's changed so now it's broken" mentality.
Pink
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Pink »

That`s not exactly what I meant. (I fail at making a point >>) We could improve the site by lowering the prices, which might not exactly be what they were about a year ago, but they could possibly be better then they are now.
I hope I explained myself okay. <<
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
wolfeyedangel
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by wolfeyedangel »

Neveah: Thing is you're going to have to persuade either a majority of the site to boycott anything above X price. Or you're going to have to find an individual or group of individuals who can and WILL flood the market which will bring the price down.

~Wolf
PBEs in which I participate: High Reaches 4th Pass, Golden Valley Weyr
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Community Discussion”