Koi Fishes, Where Thou Art Thou?!

Discuss MagiStream and site-related topics.
Airasyraye
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Re: Koi Fishes, Where Thou Art Thou?!

Post by Airasyraye »

falsanthin wrote: April 27th, 2024, 6:04:53 pm
Airasyraye wrote: April 27th, 2024, 5:04:24 pm One thing I think would help: those creatures that show up in tributaries should not show up in the main stream at all.
I'd love this personally. At the moment there are 67 main stream only creatures if you don't count limited events and seasonal creatures like the snow hares. So the main stream could be its own region and still have more creature variety than the most varied tributary (The mountain pass having the most at 50 different creatures, everlight crevasse being the lowest at 19 creature species) -if my counts are right anyway-

Even if this is not possible i would at least like to see some of the main stream creatures being spread out to different tributaries so at least that way there is still more of a chance of coming across them. I understand if thats not possible due to creature location/lore reasons though (Eg. lakiran platypus and lakiran seahorses being from the lake)

Also not demanding anything here either just incase what i've said has come across that way. Its more of a it would be cool if type suggestion XD I know the site has other higher priority things like gold issues to deal with first
Oh, for sure, the site has bigger fish to fry. I know Rosehill does most of the programming by herself, if not all of it. There's certainly better uses of her time. So, it's a wish, but definitely not something requiring attention right now. Unlike DC, which punishes you for wanting to "cave clean" to search for the creatures you want, MS is unlimited, and those frozen creatures can be recycled by Belmos, I believe (even if you release them, I think?), and so it's more of a minor inconvenience and annoyance at the moment. I just think it would make sense as you said it: The Stream being it's own environment. I suppose having all non-Quest, -Donation, -Shop creatures popping out of the main stream does make sense in the fact that you want new members to just be able to go, "Ooh, pretty egg" and click and learn about the tributaries in time, but eventually the sheer volume of creatures is surely going to require some more distribution or re-calibration, so it doesn't hurt to bring up the fact people would like to see it, imo.
TheTreeTurtle wrote: April 27th, 2024, 5:19:43 pm
I like that. Or even a new tributary like "Ancestral Stream Preserve" that is a tributary only for the first 100 released Stream creatures (from Koi Fish to Lakiran Platypus) set up on the map above where the Stream is near the little hut.

That actually sounds so nostalgic now that I've written it out :well:
I like your idea also. We get so few Quests anymore, having one to unlock a new area would be nice. Although, since the Platypups regularly march in formation down the Stream, I don't think they're hard enough to get to warrant being in the Ancestral home, myself.
<3 Feel free to look at my Holiday Extras and Others tabs to pick out gifts if you want them! <3 :t-swoon: Want lowest-gen pygmy gemdragons and pgymy crystalwings, psittrax dragons, alt colors :t-swoon:
TheWolfieNebula
Member of Artificer's Association An icon depicting the element Light
CreaturesTrade

Post by TheWolfieNebula »

Airasyraye wrote: April 27th, 2024, 10:46:01 pm Oh, for sure, the site has bigger fish to fry. I know Rosehill does most of the programming by herself, if not all of it. There's certainly better uses of her time. So, it's a wish, but definitely not something requiring attention right now.
Totally! Though hopefully if this is something a good amount of people are thinking, maybe it’ll be looked it when other problems have been addressed and sorted :D
Airasyraye wrote: April 27th, 2024, 10:46:01 pm Unlike DC, which punishes you for wanting to "cave clean" to search for the creatures you want, MS is unlimited, and those frozen creatures can be recycled by Belmos, I believe (even if you release them, I think?), and so it's more of a minor inconvenience and annoyance at the moment.
Out of curiousity, what is “stream cleaning” exactly? Is it just grabbing five eggs, freezing them and seeing what new spawns?
Sometimes a sparkle-fennec fox, sometimes a werewolf, always a nerd. My timezone is BST

Fav Creatures!:
I love any wolf/dog/canid creatures the absolute mostest!!
Magiversary Wishlist!

Others:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Image Image
Airasyraye
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Post by Airasyraye »

TheWolfieNebula wrote: April 28th, 2024, 4:32:52 am
Airasyraye wrote: April 27th, 2024, 10:46:01 pm Unlike DC, which punishes you for wanting to "cave clean" to search for the creatures you want, MS is unlimited, and those frozen creatures can be recycled by Belmos, I believe (even if you release them, I think?), and so it's more of a minor inconvenience and annoyance at the moment.
Out of curiousity, what is “stream cleaning” exactly? Is it just grabbing five eggs, freezing them and seeing what new spawns?
That's it exactly. Not everyone freezes, of course, but yes, it involves yoinking out what's in the stream and seeing what's next. Doing a lot of it is usually termed "stream cleaning" since on its own the Stream only changes every fifteen minutes. I actually misspoke slightly for DragCave; there's no freezing of eggs in DC, so you do have to wait your five hours without any option once you grab an egg. The limit for the highest-tier in DragCave is 8 eggs, if you didn't know, so grabbing 8 in quick succession trying to hunt for a specific breeding is still "cave"-cleaning, but it's harshly capped. Same with hatchling freezing. You can do it, and you can technically have unlimited frozen hatchlings, but you're only allowed to freeze up to 14 times in a row before you have to wait around for a few weeks to get the opportunity back. It's kind of ridiculous, imo. When you add in the balance of rarities, smaller amount of areas to grab (6), and amount of breeds that are crammed into those 6 areas (335 at least), and it gets infuriating trying to find certain things. TJ, the creator, did add the Holiday Cave that comes around for Vday, Halloween, and Christmas, so that's a help, but it's still getting to be quite a crush. That's happening here, imo, and is really inevitable.
<3 Feel free to look at my Holiday Extras and Others tabs to pick out gifts if you want them! <3 :t-swoon: Want lowest-gen pygmy gemdragons and pgymy crystalwings, psittrax dragons, alt colors :t-swoon:
TheWolfieNebula
CreaturesTrade

Ah good to know! I felt really embarrassed when I freeze eggs after finding one I’m really wanting in the stream, but I feel better knowing it’s an actually thing others do XD

I’m (attempting) to make a stream dex anyway, so any frozen eggs that I don’t have can also be dumped in there :bounce:
Sometimes a sparkle-fennec fox, sometimes a werewolf, always a nerd. My timezone is BST

Fav Creatures!:
Magiversary Wishlist!

Others:

Image Image
audrei9
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by audrei9 »

Airasyraye wrote: April 28th, 2024, 5:24:40 am
TheWolfieNebula wrote: April 28th, 2024, 4:32:52 am
That's it exactly. Not everyone freezes, of course, but yes, it involves yoinking out what's in the stream and seeing what's next. Doing a lot of it is usually termed "stream cleaning" since on its own the Stream only changes every fifteen minutes. I actually misspoke slightly for DragCave; there's no freezing of eggs in DC, so you do have to wait your five hours without any option once you grab an egg. The limit for the highest-tier in DragCave is 8 eggs, if you didn't know, so grabbing 8 in quick succession trying to hunt for a specific breeding is still "cave"-cleaning, but it's harshly capped. Same with hatchling freezing. You can do it, and you can technically have unlimited frozen hatchlings, but you're only allowed to freeze up to 14 times in a row before you have to wait around for a few weeks to get the opportunity back. It's kind of ridiculous, imo. When you add in the balance of rarities, smaller amount of areas to grab (6), and amount of breeds that are crammed into those 6 areas (335 at least), and it gets infuriating trying to find certain things. TJ, the creator, did add the Holiday Cave that comes around for Vday, Halloween, and Christmas, so that's a help, but it's still getting to be quite a crush. That's happening here, imo, and is really inevitable.
Wait, stream cleaning is allowed??
I've been doing it a lot in that case! In regards to last year's Christmas when gifting was last open, I used to pick a bunch of old users who hadn't been active in years and didn't have many creatures at all, and stream clean by gifting them 'regular' eggs, so everyone else (including me) could get the event eggs underneath.
I've also tried to increase the population of scarf wyrms, yulespiro and glyceris hellia by sending them as gifts, since I knew I couldn't hatch them all myself

Do you think I should suggest we do it with this year's gifting as well? I remember last year I was a bit annoyed because some people were just giving me random eggs without any regard to how rare or limited they were. AKA they were treating me like how I would treat an old, inactive user. I'll make a new post of course.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

LTB any and all holyhounds and deadwood deer! No inbreds please!
2024 Magiversary wishlist
falsanthin
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by falsanthin »

audrei9 wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 6:54:06 pm Wait, stream cleaning is allowed??
I've been doing it a lot in that case! In regards to last year's Christmas when gifting was last open, I used to pick a bunch of old users who hadn't been active in years and didn't have many creatures at all, and stream clean by gifting them 'regular' eggs, so everyone else (including me) could get the event eggs underneath.
I've also tried to increase the population of scarf wyrms, yulespiro and glyceris hellia by sending them as gifts, since I knew I couldn't hatch them all myself

Do you think I should suggest we do it with this year's gifting as well? I remember last year I was a bit annoyed because some people were just giving me random eggs without any regard to how rare or limited they were. AKA they were treating me like how I would treat an old, inactive user. I'll make a new post of course.
Yeah alot of people do it especially during events. I normally just grab and freeze a bunch of regular eggs if the stream is full of non events then throw them in my random egg tab and pick up the event ones to either keep or gift. I usually check peoples wishlists first before gifting event eggs though because i know alot of people would rather grab their own and get other things as gifts. You'll still occasionally get people disregard what you've said you don't want and just throw whatever at you though (eg. i don't like lineaged creatures but have received them a few times) but generally people stick to what people have asked for
CinnaminDraconna
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by CinnaminDraconna »

I streamclean often.. especially during gifting events. But I NEVER gift random eggs. Eggs are frozen, placed in my 'Belmos' tab, and when I get around 1k eggs in that tab, I send the whole batch to Belmos.

Unless someone specifically asks for event eggs, I only send hatchlings anyway.. and only ones on wishlists. I don't like receiving random eggs/hatchlings, so I don't send random eggs/hatchlings. Pay attention to wishlists, it's not polite to throw random things. :P
I am in the process of moving house, so I will not be around much for the foreseeable future.
TheWolfieNebula
CreaturesTrade

This is reminding me I need to sort out a wish list ahead of the Magiversary XD

Also thanks for the heads up I can send things to Belmos! I’ll keep that in mind for the future :wave:

Fav Creatures!:
Magiversary Wishlist!

Others:

Image Image
MistyoC
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Light
CreaturesTrade

Post by MistyoC »

TheWolfieNebula wrote: April 27th, 2024, 3:03:18 pm One of the funniest things from coming back after not being in the game for 10+ years is that Koi Fish feel really rare now :aah:

Like I passed over them so much back in the day, and now I’m having a hard time to get four for the Mordecai quest!! Also my luck with genders has been terrible - one male out of all my eggs and purchases and I was silly and used him to make a Capricorn :t-sweat:

Anyone else having a hard time getting older creatures now there’s so many other stream creatures? What’s your struggle to get? :t-X3:
Since the eggs don't need to be streamborn, I could lend you some adults you could breed for the eggs if you are interested.
Feel free to click my entire keep. Anything I don't want to grow is protected.

Dream of Whirled Peas
TheWolfieNebula
CreaturesTrade

MistyoC wrote: May 6th, 2024, 6:25:41 pm
TheWolfieNebula wrote: April 27th, 2024, 3:03:18 pm One of the funniest things from coming back after not being in the game for 10+ years is that Koi Fish feel really rare now :aah:

Like I passed over them so much back in the day, and now I’m having a hard time to get four for the Mordecai quest!! Also my luck with genders has been terrible - one male out of all my eggs and purchases and I was silly and used him to make a Capricorn :t-sweat:

Anyone else having a hard time getting older creatures now there’s so many other stream creatures? What’s your struggle to get? :t-X3:
Since the eggs don't need to be streamborn, I could lend you some adults you could breed for the eggs if you are interested.
That’s very kind of you, but through buying some males from Belos and getting luckier with finding them randomly, I’ve got a good amount now to bred myself XD But the thought is very much appreciated! <3

Fav Creatures!:
Magiversary Wishlist!

Others:

Image Image

Return to “Community Discussion”