Iridescent Horsefly (#1488)

Discuss MagiStream and site-related topics.
TheTreeTurtle
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade

Iridescent Horsefly (#1488)

Post by TheTreeTurtle »

Flooding the Stream through March 15th! Creature is permanent and breedable!

Sprites by DarrkestDrow; Descriptions by Real

Egg
The shell of this egg is oily.

Hatchling
Spoiler
Iridescent horsefly eggs are laid deep inside sweet fruits. They hatch when fruits ripe and the larvae will spend their entire time eating the fruits from inside out. Most of the time there are no more than two horsefly larvae inside a single fruit and they eat in tandem, slowly forming the mental links that will soon make them part of a hivemind. They connect to other horsefly larvae found in the nearby fruits and eat in such a way so they could all emerge at once. As the oily substance that covers their bodies is not yet harmful, the horsefly larvae do not risk having the fruit rot before they manage to eat it entirely.
Adult
Spoiler
An iridescent horsefly can be considered an adult by the time it has finished eating the fruit into which its egg has been laid. It takes a few tries to master flying but the mental link that ties the group is so strong that they support each other as soon as they emerge from the fruit. They often bump into fruits and leaves causing them to decay before they manage to coordinate themselves as an entity. Although of simple thinking and desires, the iridescent horseflies that form a group share the same thoughts and needs and therefore eat, sleep and do other activities at the same time. They have no ill intent and eat only as much as they need; resting on other food and causing it to decay is a simple accident.
General Description
Spoiler
Along with sunny days and warm weather, summer brings iridescent horseflies. They are small, active creatures with reflective, metallic bodies that live in organized groups of about twenty individuals. They feed on the sweetest of fruits and are a common sight in apple or pear orchards as well as in large pantries that store berries. Not as harmful as the ordinary flies, as they do not carry diseases, the iridescent horseflies are still considered a pest and treated as such. Oftentimes rotting fruits are left outside in hopes of preventing them from entering pantries but it does not stop them from visiting households. Although they do not consume fruit in large quantities, the horseflies can lead to severe food shortages in a matter of days as the oily substance that is left on everything they touch leads to decay. Keeping them under control is a hard task. Even if not possessing any useful magical abilities, the members of an iridescent horsefly group are mentally linked. The hivemind ability is so strong that it allows them to move as a single being, often swarming those who wish them harm before escaping in an oily rush.
Last edited by TheTreeTurtle on March 13th, 2024, 12:50:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kunigund
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Fire
CreaturesTrade

Re: Iridescent Horsefly (#1488)

Post by kunigund »

Hatchling (no dimorphism)
Spoiler
Iridescent horsefly eggs are laid deep inside sweet fruits. They hatch when fruits ripe and the larvae will spend their entire time eating the fruits from inside out. Most of the time there are no more than two horsefly larvae inside a single fruit and they eat in tandem, slowly forming the mental links that will soon make them part of a hivemind. They connect to other horsefly larvae found in the nearby fruits and eat in such a way so they could all emerge at once. As the oily substance that covers their bodies is not yet harmful, the horsefly larvae do not risk having the fruit rot before they manage to eat it entirely.
Interesting and even somehow cute so far! ^.^
Last edited by kunigund on March 13th, 2024, 4:50:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
OverlordVOX
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Light
CreaturesTrade

Post by OverlordVOX »

Looks like a little Monster
:)
Silenxia
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Silenxia »

This is going to be an interesting little bugger.
The Wishlist in my profile is outdated (I can't quite figure out how to edit it now, so many of the creatures there have already been obtained).

Gift ideas: Really am looking for a Varja Crystalwing for future breeding of pygmies and Gemdragons.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
kunigund
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Fire
CreaturesTrade

Post by kunigund »

Adult (no dimorphism as far as I can tell)
Spoiler
An iridescent horsefly can be considered an adult by the time it has finished eating the fruit into which its egg has been laid. It takes a few tries to master flying but the mental link that ties the group is so strong that they support each other as soon as they emerge from the fruit. They often bump into fruits and leaves causing them to decay before they manage to coordinate themselves as an entity. Although of simple thinking and desires, the iridescent horseflies that form a group share the same thoughts and needs and therefore eat, sleep and do other activities at the same time. They have no ill intent and eat only as much as they need; resting on other food and causing it to decay is a simple accident.
Actually, I like it very much; such pretty coloring, a cute snout and a slightly pissed expression. (And it's not gross like the Cestoda. D: )
Last edited by kunigund on March 13th, 2024, 11:45:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
OverlordVOX
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Light
CreaturesTrade

Post by OverlordVOX »

Haha, looks like a bit like this little Guy here:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EhwsRDqXkAEGot5.jpg:large
Rhia
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by Rhia »

I like the humor on this site. I was afraid the creature might look like a real "horsefly". But I was hoping for a "horse" fly - and that's exactly what it is. :lol:
wishlist
my lineages

(Just post in the thread or pm me if you are interested in offsprings - for free.)

Keep cleaning-Sale

My all-time Giveaway

trystan830
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by trystan830 »

hang on, what does the egg look like again? the 'egg' in the first post is the hatchie. XD
Free Critters! message me with which ones you want
~*~*~
She changes everything She touches, and everything She touches, changes ~ Starhawk
Image Image
reading: Wind by Erin Hunter (#23) | watching: Severance
she/her | discord: trystan830
IFN | dragoncave | trisphee | ravelry | goodreads
NelwNoll
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Post by NelwNoll »

It gonna be my new favorite hatchling. So cute :lol:
Image ImageImageImageImageImage
PrincessOfVampires
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Post by PrincessOfVampires »

trystan830 wrote: March 13th, 2024, 10:12:11 am hang on, what does the egg look like again? the 'egg' in the first post is the hatchie. XD

↓Visit my shop↓
Princess treasures

Gifts: 25/25 Thank you. <3

Wishlist:
male Donec
Jasper/Malachite Miu

Return to “Community Discussion”