Does breeding with an albino direwolf increase the chances for an albino pup?

Put your entry for any competition here.
Norfindala
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Does breeding with an albino direwolf increase the chances for an albino pup?

Post by Norfindala »

In this research I wanted to find out if the color of the parents matters with direwolves.
Or simply put, does having an albino parent increase the chances for an albino pup.

So, for this I am looking at all the direwolves I’ve bred. As I don’t keep track of the pairs, I will only looking at if from the mothers side to find all eggs as I have more females in my pack than males.

The ladies are:
2 albino
10 brown
Who have together birthed 320 eggs

In my research I have gone through the heritage papers of each of the eggs to determine the coloring of the parents.

There are four color combinations in breeding my pack.
Albino x Albino
Albino x Brown
Brown x Albino
Brown x Brown
I don’t know if in the data there is a difference between the mother or father being an albino, so both options are listed so I cannot be blamed to cherry pick data.

The results per color:
Albino x Albino
38 eggs of which 28 brown and 9 albino.
Resulting in a 23.68% chance of albino egg

Albino x Brown
14 eggs of which 10 brown and 4 albino.
Resulting in a 28.57% chance of an albino egg

Brown x Albino
22 eggs of which 14 brown and 8 albino.
Resulting in a 36.36% chance of an albino egg

Brown x Brown
228 eggs of which 204 brown and 24 albino.
Resulting in a 10.52% chance of an albino egg

A keen researcher might notice the numbers are a tat off. That is because there were 13 eggs I could not locate and therefor whose heritage cannot be determined. And 2 of the eggs where of a meeting between a direwolf and a manticore. These eggs have been removed in the actual calculations.

Final results:
When both parents are albino, there is a 23.68% chance in getting an albino egg.
When just the mother is an albino, there is a 28.57% chance in getting an albino egg.
When just the father is an albino, there is a 36.36% chance in getting an albino egg.
When no parent is an albino, there is a 10.52% chance in getting an albino egg.

Of course this is a relative small sample size, but so far the conclusion is that having an albino in the breeding pair increases the chance of getting an albino egg.

Return to “Competition Entries”