Are we going to talk about the fact that many whales don't exist

Discuss MagiStream and site-related topics.
audrei9
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Are we going to talk about the fact that many whales don't exist

Post by audrei9 »

Adult tiexos ixsu are among the largest creatures in the world
Most ixsu grow up to forty feet in length and 15-20 feet tall
A blue whale can grow up to 100 feet long. Sperm whales can grow up to 78.7 feet. Adult humpback whales range from about 46-56 feet as per wiikipedia. Sei whales can grow up to 64ft in length. Those are just the whales I can think of on a whim
I'm mildly amused by the notion that magistream is a universe where it's commonplace and expected for animals to be able to break physics and throw fire/ ice/ water/ whatever, but there's no animal that's ever bypassed the length of 40 feet.

IDK, maybe I should have put this in the 'you made a typo, magistream' page, but I wanted to see if whales are canon first. :italian:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
pegasi1978
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Re: Are we going to talk about the fact that many whales don't exist

Post by pegasi1978 »

There's the Aurora whales.
| Wishlist in profile | Avatar by Munin!
blockEdragon
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Fire
CreaturesTrade

Post by blockEdragon »

"Among"

That can be a pretty wide margin.
sammythethief
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by sammythethief »

The asesina orcae are technically whales, too, despite living in the sky.

I always say, create the content you want to see! You like writing and worldbuilding, right? I'd love to see more whales, aquatic or otherwise, so maybe it could be a fun exercise and challenge to come up with creature descriptions and designs!
Be kind.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Formerly MadameRed - same grumpy soul, new and improved theft!
15th Magiversary Free Raffle!
Kestrad
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Kestrad »

I mean, if you want to be pedantic about it, I guess you could say most whales don't exist :t-shrug: It's almost like there are multiple writers for the site (some of whom seem to have left for good), and well over 1000 creatures, so the lore isn't always going to be fully consistent. We had a thread about a month ago about what the most massive creatures in the Magistream world can be, with a lot of different possible answers because it turns out a bunch of descriptions talk about creatures growing to unfathomable sizes given enough time. So whales existing or not doesn't really seem like the main issue with that line. This is also ignoring the next line in the description, which implies there are ixsu that grow to be much, much larger than average.

Anyway, Magistream is kind of a lore sandbox, so if you take that line to mean most whales don't exist, there's nothing stopping you from taking that premise and running with it. You also don't necessarily have to treat every description as 100% infallible - real life encyclopedias constantly need updating as we learn more stuff about the world, after all. But things like this is why I personally try to avoid writing hard absolutes in my descriptions.
Kestrad has been eaten by life. She'll probably pop back in occasionally.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Keep story | Portal Guild | Graphics Shop
Please do not click my hatchlings. Thank you.
Avatar by Kingsfisher, sig art by herinbon
MothballMilkshake
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by MothballMilkshake »

I always considered Magistream creature entries similarly to Pokedex entries.

Entries from Kanto era Pokemon aren't as up to date as entries from, say Unova era Pokemon!

When the description of the Ixsu was written, potentially Magi hadn't discovered any other creatures larger - and now they have!
ImageImage My babies thank you
ImageImageImage
Member of the Watershop. Shop price+300, I can get you your creatures! Creatures for sale in my extra and SALE tabs, PM me
VilaWolf
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade
Location: Library of Daninsky's Castle. 50% of my posts are sarcastic.

Post by VilaWolf »

90% of all real world and mythological creatures don't exist here on the site.
The artists and writers can only do so much.

Dark Guild Will Trade For Water / Herb Guild Pets.
Egglocked? PM your codes, I'll Help. Free.
When Pigs Fly, Carry an Umbrella.
My Wish List
Last year all the Decessus were named after Haunted Chateaus. This year; Lost Media.
audrei9
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by audrei9 »

MothballMilkshake wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 6:59:06 pm I always considered Magistream creature entries similarly to Pokedex entries.

Entries from Kanto era Pokemon aren't as up to date as entries from, say Unova era Pokemon!

When the description of the Ixsu was written, potentially Magi hadn't discovered any other creatures larger - and now they have!
I agree with this headcanon the most. I believe that it doesn't make too much sense for real life creatures to not exist, since there's an abundance of magistream predators but not much prey. The presence of real life creatures balances that out a lot.

It's amusing to think that they'd discover giant flying birds and griffins and dragons before discovering whales, but maybe the geography's just different like that. ^_^
audrei9
CreaturesTrade

Post by audrei9 »

Kestrad wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 2:52:32 pm I mean, if you want to be pedantic about it, I guess you could say most whales don't exist :t-shrug: It's almost like there are multiple writers for the site (some of whom seem to have left for good), and well over 1000 creatures, so the lore isn't always going to be fully consistent. We had a thread about a month ago about what the most massive creatures in the Magistream world can be, with a lot of different possible answers because it turns out a bunch of descriptions talk about creatures growing to unfathomable sizes given enough time. So whales existing or not doesn't really seem like the main issue with that line. This is also ignoring the next line in the description, which implies there are ixsu that grow to be much, much larger than average.

Anyway, Magistream is kind of a lore sandbox, so if you take that line to mean most whales don't exist, there's nothing stopping you from taking that premise and running with it. You also don't necessarily have to treat every description as 100% infallible - real life encyclopedias constantly need updating as we learn more stuff about the world, after all. But things like this is why I personally try to avoid writing hard absolutes in my descriptions.
I am curious about that thread!
Kestrad
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Kestrad »

First of all, you don't need to double post like that (and in fact, I believe it is frowned upon.) You can quote multiple people in the same response as long as their posts were recent by scrolling down to the bottom of the reply page and clicking quote from the recent posts there.

Secondly, you can do whatever you want with your headcanon, but the bestiary is first and foremost a tool for the site for people to know what creatures can be collected, what description they have, and what order they were released in. Treating it as if it exists as-is in-universe, with all the entries in that exact order, and anything not listed in it is an undiscovered creature (magical or not) is a choice you can make, but seems oddly limiting. Also if we want to really get into the weeds, many entries do at least heavily imply the existence of non-magical creatures in the world, especially if you take into account both the description that says eating magical companions is frowned upon, and other descriptions implying that magi do eat meat.

But hey, if you want to believe most whales don't exist or are undiscovered in this universe regardless, that's certainly your prerogative, and again, nothing's stopping you from taking that idea and running with it yourself. There's also nothing stopping other people from having no issue with believing they exist and are discovered.

The thread is on the second page of community discussion and you can find it here: https://magistream.com/viewtopic.php?t=233515
Kestrad has been eaten by life. She'll probably pop back in occasionally.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Keep story | Portal Guild | Graphics Shop
Please do not click my hatchlings. Thank you.
Avatar by Kingsfisher, sig art by herinbon

Return to “Community Discussion”