Creature #1469 Yule Castor

Discuss MagiStream and site-related topics.
ghostjellie
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Creature #1469 Yule Castor

Post by ghostjellie »

This sweet-smelling egg almost looks like it was carved out of wood.

ImageImage
No dimorphism

Hatchling
Spoiler
Yule castor hatchlings learn to carve wood as they age. The first few dozen carvings are not exceptionally beautiful, many of them resembling odd shapes that would never be hung on a tree. More often than not, a carrot-like carving or an ear-shaped one had to be removed because it simply ruined the otherwise beautifully decorated tree. But as they age, the hatchlings become more skillful. They revisit their works and reshape what can be reshaped, making new decorations from the scraps. It might take a few months for the hatchlings to reach a desired level of wood carving mastery, but they never give up, and the improvement is visible with each passing day.
Adult
Spoiler
On the few occasions when the yule castors aren't wood carving, they offer rides to those interested. It might be inconvenient for the rider, as the castors might make a trip in the water, but it is an experience one should try at least once in their lifetime. Although they are big enough to reach a man's hip and could become a real threat, the castors are very affectionate towards humans. So affectionate that they might temporarily move into a person's house, suddenly becoming part of the family. When this happens, it is best to supply the castors with plenty of wood; otherwise, they will start chewing on the furniture. Once the castors have enough carved figurines, they wander into the woods, where they use them to decorate small pine trees. Sometimes they also decorate the pines that happen to be on the Keep's grounds, and random pine vosmari accidentally end up decorated as well. But no matter which tree they decorate, it will always look nice, as their carved trinkets are some of the most delicate wood ornaments one will ever see.
General
Spoiler
After the first snowfall has fallen, one can hear the sound of wood being chopped deep inside the forest. The creatures that chop the wood are benevolent and love to have spectators as they carve intricate decorations with their nimble fingers and skillful teeth. They live near rivers, where they laze around when not shaping something out of wood. Adept swimmers, the yule castors can travel for great lengths even upstream if they sniff out a sweetly scented wood. Although they can carve things out of any wood, they prefer the scented ones. There is no explanation for this other than the wood probably smells better and makes the carving more pleasant for the castors while they are at it. Each individual focuses on its task, caring little about what the other castors do around them, but they do work together in a sense. If one of them chops off a tree, then more castors will gather around, each taking a chunk of the trunk to carve so no wood would come to waste.
Element: Neutral
Last edited by ghostjellie on December 25th, 2023, 5:57:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
he/him < 3
my keep sale ☆

please ignore my about me, thats probably from 2012
sammythethief
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Re: Creature #1469 Yule Castor

Post by sammythethief »

YULE BEAVERS :D

I'm excited to see what these little ones look like!

(I immediately thought of the castorides from ARK when I read the name, and lo and behold...)
Be kind.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Formerly MadameRed - same grumpy soul, new and improved theft!
15th Magiversary Free Raffle!
TrunkMunky
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by TrunkMunky »

MadameRed wrote: December 25th, 2023, 12:42:54 am YULE BEAVERS :D

(I immediately thought of the castorides from ARK when I read the name, and lo and behold...)
Aaaaayyyyy a fellow ark player!!!
Merry Christmas :D
PhantomRider
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by PhantomRider »

TrunkMunky wrote: December 25th, 2023, 2:52:01 am
MadameRed wrote: December 25th, 2023, 12:42:54 am YULE BEAVERS :D

Aaaaayyyyy a fellow ark player!!!
Merry Christmas :D
Ayyye, ARK peeps!

I'm excited to see what these guys look like-

Merry Christmas!

Please be patient with me; IRL is a bit intense.

Hate left below, the dark stray dog of war
There's no dreams in the waves, only monsters... and the monsters are my only friends.

--- Wishlist is on my profile ---

vipor
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by vipor »

No dimorphism,

One baby beaver

Hatchling
Yule castor hatchlings learn to carve wood as they age. The first few dozen carvings are not exceptionally beautiful, many of them resembling odd shapes that would never be hung on a tree. More often than not, a carrot-like carving or an ear-shaped one had to be removed because it simply ruined the otherwise beautifully decorated tree. But as they age, the hatchlings become more skillful. They revisit their works and reshape what can be reshaped, making new decorations from the scraps. It might take a few months for the hatchlings to reach a desired level of wood carving mastery, but they never give up, and the improvement is visible with each passing day.

General
After the first snowfall has fallen, one can hear the sound of wood being chopped deep inside the forest. The creatures that chop the wood are benevolent and love to have spectators as they carve intricate decorations with their nimble fingers and skillful teeth. They live near rivers, where they laze around when not shaping something out of wood. Adept swimmers, the yule castors can travel for great lengths even upstream if they sniff out a sweetly scented wood. Although they can carve things out of any wood, they prefer the scented ones. There is no explanation for this other than the wood probably smells better and makes the carving more pleasant for the castors while they are at it. Each individual focuses on its task, caring little about what the other castors do around them, but they do work together in a sense. If one of them chops off a tree, then more castors will gather around, each taking a chunk of the trunk to carve so no wood would come to waste.
Low prices high quality.
Vipor's mini mall
Wishlist
Auriene
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by Auriene »

Yay, Holiday Beavers! :D

*happy Slavic noises*

Good things come to those who click!

LTS: Cookies, Prismatic CW, Halloween ^_^
urboros
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Air
CreaturesTrade

Post by urboros »

heck yes holiday engineers!
check out my sales tab, and just offer
Seejey
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Light
CreaturesTrade

Post by Seejey »

No dimorphism

Adult:
On the few occasions when the yule castors aren't wood carving, they offer rides to those interested. It might be inconvenient for the rider, as the castors might make a trip in the water, but it is an experience one should try at least once in their lifetime. Although they are big enough to reach a man's hip and could become a real threat, the castors are very affectionate towards humans. So affectionate that they might temporarily move into a person's house, suddenly becoming part of the family. When this happens, it is best to supply the castors with plenty of wood; otherwise, they will start chewing on the furniture. Once the castors have enough carved figurines, they wander into the woods, where they use them to decorate small pine trees. Sometimes they also decorate the pines that happen to be on the Keep's grounds, and random pine vosmari accidentally end up decorated as well. But no matter which tree they decorate, it will always look nice, as their carved trinkets are some of the most delicate wood ornaments one will ever see.
Last edited by Seejey on December 25th, 2023, 3:40:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR CLICKING AND FOR THE PRESENTS! I WISH EVERYTHING BACK! DOUBLE! ^_^

Wishlist: F Green, Bronze CWs; M Diamond Wyrm; any Cascara Amagnae, Water Shop and Dark Shop parentless creatures, pretty please! :t-puppyeyes:

Wanna get more clicks? Try this! Image Image Image Image
Image Image
KallenTu
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by KallenTu »

Oooh colourful beavers <3
Lestat
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by Lestat »

Oh my a Christmas beaver
Searching for non parents
Dark Umbral Fox
Penumbral Fox
Solveir
Fenrir Male
White Fenrir M and F
Vermillion Heligre f and m
Masked Heligre f and m
Atieno m and f