Goldmining is causing the lag, and must stop

Learn about the latest updates here.
Rosehill
Coder
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade
It’s my birthday

Re: Goldmining is causing the lag, and must stop

Post by Rosehill »

kunigund wrote: December 13th, 2023, 7:29:21 am Since 3 months (date of this thread) we know that gold mining (= massively open creature links, usually adults) causes lag and errors, probably since many years (which, in turn, also caused the number active users to drop significantly) and it is now forbidden. In these three months, however, there were still some severe server problems (cloudflare errors, mysql errors), luckily they never lasted as long as prior to the updates/new rule. Still, it's annoying, even though I don't know if the recent ones were related to gold mining or something else.

I just checked, clicking an adult creature still gives me gold. I simply do not understand why it is still possible and not deactivated to remove it from the potential list of culprits.

Why is gold for clicking adults not set to zero and end of story?
Because disabling gold from adults is not just that simple from the programming point of view, and coding efforts have been directed to more pressing matters. Removing gold from adults is on the list of things to do nevertheless. And because disabling gold from adults doesn't in itself stop goldmining without people knowing of it.

The latest lag of the past couple days has no evidence of being related to goldmining.
kunigund
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Fire
CreaturesTrade

Post by kunigund »

Thank you for explaining, Rosehill!
And because disabling gold from adults doesn't in itself stop goldmining without people knowing of it.
Well, I would hope that they stop (or visit the forums) once they realize that they do not get any gold from it.
LunatheDragoness
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Light
CreaturesTrade

Post by LunatheDragoness »

Seabra wrote: December 13th, 2023, 5:02:49 am Are we allowed to click on creatures in our own keep for gold? Like 10/20 at a time?
Okay now I'm wondering the same thing. I never thought of this
CinnaminDraconna
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by CinnaminDraconna »

I've been clicking in my own keep for a while.. and a few others that I know don't mind; and there's a list of players with image-free links in their profiles.

I limit myself to 1k at a time.. since that's how many per page in Rosehill's image free nursery. Usually less than 1k because it takes so long to scroll down 1k creatures on a keep page, lol.
I am in the process of moving house, so I will not be around much for the foreseeable future.
Katnilb
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Light
CreaturesTrade

Post by Katnilb »

Rosehill wrote: December 13th, 2023, 7:44:50 am
kunigund wrote: December 13th, 2023, 7:29:21 am Since 3 months (date of this thread) we know that gold mining (= massively open creature links, usually adults) causes lag and errors, probably since many years (which, in turn, also caused the number active users to drop significantly) and it is now forbidden. In these three months, however, there were still some severe server problems (cloudflare errors, mysql errors), luckily they never lasted as long as prior to the updates/new rule. Still, it's annoying, even though I don't know if the recent ones were related to gold mining or something else.

I just checked, clicking an adult creature still gives me gold. I simply do not understand why it is still possible and not deactivated to remove it from the potential list of culprits.

Because disabling gold from adults is not just that simple from the programming point of view, and coding efforts have been directed to more pressing matters. Removing gold from adults is on the list of things to do nevertheless. And because disabling gold from adults doesn't in itself stop goldmining without people knowing of it.

The latest lag of the past couple days has no evidence of being related to goldmining.
How bad is MagiStream's code base?

Based on the API, surely one could add a check along the lines of if("stage" == 2) then {no gold}?

I also think that if mining was never intended to be part of MagiStream, then prices should always have been much lower. Without mining it's an awful lot of work clicking growing creatures or making posts to get enough gold to pay for shop creatures.

If the cheapest shop creature is 1000g that would have been 1000 clicks in 2013, or still hundreds of clicks now, or 5 large posts without mining. Possible, but only really viable for the creatures currently at the cheapest prices.

As for the climate impacts of MagiStream, banning/removing mining is a good move and will reduce the game's CO2e emissions but it was already possible to make then very small with efficient hardware client-side or using renewable energy.

My most polluting mining period was likely when I first joined the site in 2013, and even then it was maybe 32g of CO2e per hour mining for gold. In 2022 it would have been ~5g per hour, except lower as I had renewable energy, not a grid standard mix.

The average person releases more CO2 by breathing, so I don't think MagiStream's climate impact is anything to worry about.
Rosehill
Coder
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade
It’s my birthday

Post by Rosehill »

Katnilb wrote: December 14th, 2023, 8:51:28 am
Rosehill wrote: December 13th, 2023, 7:44:50 am

How bad is MagiStream's code base?

Based on the API, surely one could add a check along the lines of if("stage" == 2) then {no gold}?
Made soon 15 years ago, so... :t-shrug:

The codebase in itself is not that bad actually. The info the api shows is constructed and much simplified from the underlying data, and e.g. the "stage" of the creature is not something that's stored as is, and the thing that gives people gold would need to take stuff into account on a larger scale.
Mochipet
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by Mochipet »

CinnaminDraconna wrote: December 13th, 2023, 3:12:19 pm I've been clicking in my own keep for a while.. and a few others that I know don't mind; and there's a list of players with image-free links in their profiles.

I limit myself to 1k at a time.. since that's how many per page in Rosehill's image free nursery. Usually less than 1k because it takes so long to scroll down 1k creatures on a keep page, lol.
I stick to just the image free and hatchie threads as well. Even then I only snap link one 200 block at a single time. Open the links, let them load, then close out of all them before moving on to the next block. Usually can get maybe 2k ish doing that on a normal day. Event time though there will be upwards of 4 pages or so. Only downside is that the hatchie threads and hatchery have a lot of overlap of people posting their creatures in multiple spots so the yield isn't quite matching to the links opened. (Not a complaint, just observation)

Overall, the best gold making methods at this point comes down to selling creatures.

To that, I've found that upon release of the limited event creatures (like the Christmas beavers), one creature can go for 200 to 300k off the bat. Stream born event creatures go for 1k to 2k ish.

Now I'm also seeing a big thing for frozen hatchies below 1%- those can go for 500 to 1k ish. So ultimately I've found that gathering up my usual quota (2 adult pairs and 1 frozen for each hatchie sprite) and then grabbing as many spares as possible (I hide a few hatchies for future gifting events) and selling those spares has been the best way to make gold for me.

All of that said, it's completely tied to the events so I can only really make gold during holidays/events but can't make much the rest of the time. Now there are many events throughout the year so it's not really an issue at the end of the day. Just sharing my own observations and strategies in case anyone finds it helpful/interesting.

I'm curious to see moving forward if the market will turn more towards trading instead of selling. Now that gold is more difficult, I think it'd be natural for the market to move towards creature to creature trades. Personally, I think that'd be a great thing to see as there'd be more flexibility in its own way.
sunsprite
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by sunsprite »

Other people have mentioned you don't get the crafting items from the black market bags if we already have the max amount of them so i was planning on clicking on a bunch of crystalwings to stock up on materials but i kind of don't want to do that if mass clicking them is just going to end up getting me flagged for goldmining or if i would be safe say opening like 20-30 at a time regardless of if they are adult creatures or not
im kind of wondering this too
i came back from a hiatus and discovered crafting/getting parentless pygmy dragons recently and i was mining in someones keep that allowed me to (it was only like at most 50 pages at once and it wasnt for gold or anything, just the crafting items) but i stopped because these are adult creatures and i dont wanna get banned off the site or anything lol

just wanted to know if this case scenario was allowed or not? or at least a bit more elaboration that its allowed cause i was skimming the thread a bit and i want to be cautious whether or not what im doing is bad

maybe i could open less links at once like <30?
xxxxxxpreviously delspresso
[supply my orange rabbitsune addiction]
Munin
CreaturesTrade

Post by Munin »

sunsprite wrote: January 12th, 2024, 12:32:00 am
Other people have mentioned you don't get the crafting items from the black market bags if we already have the max amount of them so i was planning on clicking on a bunch of crystalwings to stock up on materials but i kind of don't want to do that if mass clicking them is just going to end up getting me flagged for goldmining or if i would be safe say opening like 20-30 at a time regardless of if they are adult creatures or not
im kind of wondering this too
i came back from a hiatus and discovered crafting/getting parentless pygmy dragons recently and i was mining in someones keep that allowed me to (it was only like at most 50 pages at once and it wasnt for gold or anything, just the crafting items) but i stopped because these are adult creatures and i dont wanna get banned off the site or anything lol

just wanted to know if this case scenario was allowed or not? or at least a bit more elaboration that its allowed cause i was skimming the thread a bit and i want to be cautious whether or not what im doing is bad

maybe i could open less links at once like <30?
You get them from eggs and hatchlings too I think. You can also refresh their bestiary page to get the crafting materials, that way you do not click tons of adults and can still fairly easily max out the items.
froglady
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Post by froglady »

Overall, the best gold making methods at this point comes down to selling creatures.

To that, I've found that upon release of the limited event creatures (like the Christmas beavers), one creature can go for 200 to 300k off the bat. Stream born event creatures go for 1k to 2k ish.

Now I'm also seeing a big thing for frozen hatchies below 1%- those can go for 500 to 1k ish. So ultimately I've found that gathering up my usual quota (2 adult pairs and 1 frozen for each hatchie sprite) and then grabbing as many spares as possible (I hide a few hatchies for future gifting events) and selling those spares has been the best way to make gold for me.
Selling creatures won't continue to be as profitable as it has been once players see their gold stores decreasing and once more new players come in. You can't sell me a Christmas beaver for 200k because I've never had even 50k, I've been clicking the threads almost daily since August, and I've done one 10k quest and bought 2 eggs from Remy. The newbies (who generally are the most desperate for creatures) won't be able to pony up the gold folks have been used to getting for anything, including creatures.
My join date says 2012, when I made an account I promptly forgot about until August 2023, so I'm really *gasp* a newbie. :)
I have no phobias or disliked critters. Feel free to click anything in my keep, except the "Quests" tab. I think you'll find plenty there without those 2 or 3.

Return to “Site News”