Goldmining is causing the lag, and must stop

Learn about the latest updates here.
kunigund
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Fire
CreaturesTrade

Re: Goldmining is causing the lag, and must stop

Post by kunigund »

I would actually hope that people who mine all night and don't gain any gold (if gold for adults were disabled) would come to the Forums to ask/research the matter.
Kayliee
CreaturesTrade

Post by Kayliee »

kunigund wrote: October 26th, 2023, 4:34:48 am I would actually hope that people who mine all night and don't gain any gold (if gold for adults were disabled) would come to the Forums to ask/research the matter.
I thought the same, but then again, someone/s was mining for years lagging out the site and didn't stop, so it might be a issue.
But then again, absolutely 0 gold vs some gold might make a difference.
Gifts: I love anything parentless/stream born etc, particularly event creatures :)
faedemon
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Light
CreaturesTrade

Post by faedemon »

hitting some on and off bad patches of lag, starting around ~9:30am EST. not sure about earlier, i only logged on around then
Image hey. looking for gender swaps.
Ryves
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Post by Ryves »

Trading may strain the site, but I think goldmining must be the thing that breaks it, if only because no one could possibly have been doing trades last night during the worst of it. It took five minutes to freeze an egg. Now, with 30-40 people online, it's sometimes slow, but things usually load in less than five seconds, which is a little annoying but I can live with it.
Image Find something you love as much as a pumpkin wyrm loves pumpkin seeds. Image

Pounces
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade

Post by Pounces »

Today is so much better!! (*knocks on wood*) I am currently doing IFN in small batches, so that it's easy to quickly stop if the lag starts up, but so far everything is running like normal. :woo:

Even gifting was painful yesterday, since catching anything from the stream was nearly impossible! I'll easily be able to get caught up in the gifting thread today! :bounce: (My first gifting event and I'm having sooooo much fun!!!)
<3 Thank you so much for all the amazing gifts! <3
I love each and everyone of them so much!
┍━━━━━»•» ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ 🌺 ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ «•«━┑
<3 We love clicks too! Please help us grow <3
ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ
Image ImageImage

ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ
ImageImageImageImage
┕━»•» ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ 🌺 ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ «•«━━━━━┙
BeeNme
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Post by BeeNme »

Just like yesterday, the lag has started around 3 pm Eastern time. It's not awful yet, but is getting worse.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Wishlist:
Spoiler
Tanzanite Gemstone Kirin, White Cukurba, Catalana Dismot, White or Piebald Cervinus Deer, Angora Jackalope, Ouranian Koi, Arkenian Sakeira, winged cats
Dream creatures: Silver Alicanto, Calico Tienko
Tulcadhiel
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by Tulcadhiel »

BeeNme wrote: October 26th, 2023, 3:34:34 pm Just like yesterday, the lag has started around 3 pm Eastern time. It's not awful yet, but is getting worse.
Yep 100% agree; the lag has gotten bad now. Not sure exactly when it started but it's taking almost a minute to load everything again :/

On the off chance and I have no understanding of how to code or how easy this is, but is it possible that when someone logs onto Magistream, they are immediately taken to the beginning of this post that says Goldmining needs to stop?

To avoid mass chaos I'm not sure if you could do a function where it checks to see whether the user has READ the post in the first place, and if they haven't, they then get sent straight to that and are forced to read it before going further into the website. I have no idea whether that would help but that way if someone hasn't read the post saying goldmining needs to stop, this may stop some of them.

I dunno, just a thought. I suppose the lag may be due to trades being quirky but the timing for this lag seems to be oddly consistent.

EDIT @ 9:48pm: It now seems to have sped up again if that helps.

EDIT 2 @ 11:35pm: Just logged in again to do one final 'click my eggs' post for the night and the lag is back with avengence.

✴︎ * Image Happy Holidays & Joyous Solstice! Image * ✳︎
Thank you for all the lovely gifts!!! I will cherish them!!!

✳︎ * ✦ Obsidian Arts - CLOSED ✴︎ ✦ *
Pounces
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade

Post by Pounces »

I don't really have any clue on how websites function, but could it be gifting itself that is slowing the system down? I know that yesterday, Rosehill said that it didn't really appear to be heavy goldmining, so I was just wondering. Glad I got the nursery clicks done before it got bad, but yeah - after around 3:30pm CST / 4:30 EST it got really super slow for about 2 hours. Seems much better now though, at least on my end.
<3 Thank you so much for all the amazing gifts! <3
I love each and everyone of them so much!
┍━━━━━»•» ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ 🌺 ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ «•«━┑
<3 We love clicks too! Please help us grow <3
ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ
Image ImageImage

ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ
ImageImageImageImage
┕━»•» ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ 🌺 ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ «•«━━━━━┙
Rosehill
Coder
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by Rosehill »

The gifting doesn't really use that much resources to cause lag, but of course a big increase in overall traffic might slow the page down. It shouldn't make the site completely inaccessible and as laggy as it has been, though. :sweat:

I have now done some changes behind the scenes, and at least for now the site seems to be running really smoothly. Since we're hitting the hours that there's less traffic on the site anyways, I'll keep monitoring the situation later on when the regular spike in lag has usually started to see if the changes are helping.
sammythethief
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by sammythethief »

Rosehill wrote: October 27th, 2023, 3:33:20 am The gifting doesn't really use that much resources to cause lag, but of course a big increase in overall traffic might slow the page down. It shouldn't make the site completely inaccessible and as laggy as it has been, though. :sweat:

I have now done some changes behind the scenes, and at least for now the site seems to be running really smoothly. Since we're hitting the hours that there's less traffic on the site anyways, I'll keep monitoring the situation later on when the regular spike in lag has usually started to see if the changes are helping.
So far so good here! A few moments of lag, but nowhere near what it was yesterday. It's only 11:02 AM EST here, though, so hopefully this continues throughout the day.

Thank you for your work on this! I know logging into that mess can't be fun :t-hugs:
Be kind.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Formerly MadameRed - same grumpy soul, new and improved theft!
15th Magiversary Free Raffle!

Return to “Site News”