The Elements

Discuss MagiStream and site-related topics.
Rosehill
Coder
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade
It’s my birthday

The Elements

Post by Rosehill »

This is a thread for discussing the new released feature: The Elements!

Every creature species has an affinity to one or two elements. These elements can be seen in the bestiary listing, in the bestiary page for a specific creature, and on a creature's own page.

The elements:
  • Fire - The magical ability to make or control heat or flames
  • Water - The magical ability to travel through or control water or ice
  • Life - The magical ability to heal, and cause growth, and be attuned to the nature
  • Earth - The magical ability to control stone or metal
  • Air - The magical ability to control winds, and travel through air like a fluid
  • Light - The magical ability to control light and be attuned to illumination, purity, and knowledge – This does not indicate goodness, however
  • Void - The magical ability to control voids and be attuned to darkness, temporal or time travel, corruption, and deceit – This does not indicate evil, however
  • Neutral - No specific ability – The creature can have no magic at all or a magic ability that is not elemental based. Being animated by an element does not make it affiliated to that element.

In addition to the creatures, every magi can attune to an element by completing the quest "New Era: At the Source" and after that the quest "Attune to an Element". Both can be found in the World Map's Keep. It's possible to change which element you're attuned to, or remove the attunement altogether every 30 days. You cannot attune to Neutral. Your element can be seen under your username on topic posts as well as on your profile.

Being attuned to an element currently has the following benefits:
  • Creatures whose element matches your element grow faster when you click on them
  • Creatures whose element matches your element give you more gold when you click on them
  • You can use the Fine Tuning Glass on up to 15% stage creatures whose element matches yours

The elements will play a part in future shenanigans as well, and we already have more stuff planned for them, so there is more to come (not in the very near future, but nonetheless!)!

If you have questions about why a certain creature is affiliated with a certain element, or you notice a creature that may be wrongly affiliated, let us know in this thread and we'll take a look!
Auriene
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Re: The Elements

Post by Auriene »

This sounds fun! :) I took a quick look at the Bestiary and the elemental affinities seem to be distributed in a pretty balanced way. Can't wait to see how the benefits work ^_^

Good things come to those who click!

ImageImageImageImageImage

LTS: Cookies, Prismatic CW, Halloween ^_^
CinnaminDraconna
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by CinnaminDraconna »

Why is the Frost Unicorn affliated with the Fire element? Water makes sense, but shouldn't the other element be Air? or Life?
I am in the process of moving house, so I will not be around much for the foreseeable future.
BBkat
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by BBkat »

CinnaminDraconna wrote:Why is the Frost Unicorn affliated with the Fire element? Water makes sense, but shouldn't the other element be Air? or Life?
It says fire element can control heat. And the unicorn's description says they can freeze things solid. Which is in a way controlling the heat around them, by removing it. Cold is just like, the absence of heat.
And Water already covers their ice abilities. and ig they need two to make it even with the Earth Unicorn.
pies
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Air
CreaturesTrade

Post by pies »

Very cool! Looking forward to using this new feature. Also, love the new animated badge!
Looks like I'll have to start collecting Air creatures now... interesting.

I'm surprised the Foenaran Nimbii are Neutral... the fact that they control the weather and seem to have air-based magic would make me think otherwise. And a few others that Neutral that I would've thought would have elemental powers. I suppose it's a new feature so not every creature will be assigned yet.
-✨✨✨✨⭐️🦌⭐️✨✨✨✨-

Pie/Leo ✨ she/her ✨ socially anxious mess

🎵 Jorja Smith - Little Things x Gypsy Woman

To everyone that has gifted me: thank you so much, every gift is treasured! <3

ImageImage

✨ Final Outpost ✨

-✨✨✨✨⭐️🦌⭐️✨✨✨✨-
Rosehill
Coder
CreaturesTrade
It’s my birthday

Post by Rosehill »

pies wrote:Very cool! Looking forward to using this new feature. Also, love the new animated badge!
Looks like I'll have to start collecting Air creatures now... interesting.

I'm surprised the Foenaran Nimbii are Neutral... the fact that they control the weather and seem to have air-based magic would make me think otherwise. And a few others that Neutral that I would've thought would have elemental powers. I suppose it's a new feature so not every creature will be assigned yet.
The element feature has been on the works for quite some time, so all the creatures do have an element assigned. However, there may be some overlooks and plain old mistakes, since Mysfytt and Real had to shift through almost 1500 descriptions to see which element or elements each creature would get, how the elements would fit them, and reason why. That is part of the reason we're asking for people to post here if they feel a creature has a mismatched element assigned to it. I may have made a typo when putting them in the system, or we might've overlooked a part of the decription, or there may have been some other hick along the way. :italian:

The Nimbiis have been categorized as Neutral as they're seen to fall more under a category of "made by magic" than being creatures that tap into an elemental magic force.
CinnaminDraconna wrote:Why is the Frost Unicorn affliated with the Fire element? Water makes sense, but shouldn't the other element be Air? or Life?
The Frost Unicorn shouldn't have Fire as its second element, so we'll be fixing that. :)
BBkat
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by BBkat »

Rosehill wrote:
The Frost Unicorn shouldn't have Fire as its second element, so we'll be fixing that. :)
never mind my idea then LMAO
CinnaminDraconna
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by CinnaminDraconna »

I'm seeing several different creatures that I either don't understand why a particular element, or that I totally disagree with their element.. so far, I've found these..

1. Sand/Gold/Ash/Onyx Gryphons - they are listed as neutral, but any any RP setting they would be assoiated with air

2. Fire Gryphon - listed as fire only, but should also be air (as above)

3. Ice Gryphon - listed as fire, but like the Frost Unicorn, definitly wrong.. Water and Air would be more appropriate

4. Pegasus/Dark Pegasus - listed as neutral, I would think they should be listed as air

5. Void Dragon - listed as light/fire, wouldn't void/fire make more sense

6. Dark/Light Narwhal - listed as neutral, why? They live in water

7. Temple Cat - listed as void/light.. aren't those two exact opposites? I'd think neutral for anything similar to a cat that doesn't fly

8. Puvia - listed as neutral.. wouldn't air make more sense?

9. Roc - listed as neutral - it flies for pete's sake, should be air

10. Hippogryph, Lunar Hippogryph, Solar Hippogryph - all listed as neutral
should all be air

While I absolutely LOVE the elemental concept, I've done way too much roleplaying to think many of these choices are even close to acceptable. Not to mention that you left out so many of the so-called secondary elements; heat, cold, death, energy, time, chaos.
I am in the process of moving house, so I will not be around much for the foreseeable future.
BeeNme
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Post by BeeNme »

CinnaminDraconna wrote:I'm seeing several different creatures that I either don't understand why a particular element, or that I totally disagree with their element.. so far, I've found these..

1. Sand/Gold/Ash/Onyx Gryphons - they are listed as neutral, but any any RP setting they would be assoiated with air

2. Fire Gryphon - listed as fire only, but should also be air (as above)

3. Ice Gryphon - listed as fire, but like the Frost Unicorn, definitly wrong.. Water and Air would be more appropriate

4. Pegasus/Dark Pegasus - listed as neutral, I would think they should be listed as air

5. Void Dragon - listed as light/fire, wouldn't void/fire make more sense

6. Dark/Light Narwhal - listed as neutral, why? They live in water

7. Temple Cat - listed as void/light.. aren't those two exact opposites? I'd think neutral for anything similar to a cat that doesn't fly

8. Puvia - listed as neutral.. wouldn't air make more sense?

9. Roc - listed as neutral - it flies for pete's sake, should be air

10. Hippogryph, Lunar Hippogryph, Solar Hippogryph - all listed as neutral
should all be air

While I absolutely LOVE the elemental concept, I've done way too much roleplaying to think many of these choices are even close to acceptable. Not to mention that you left out so many of the so-called secondary elements; heat, cold, death, energy, time, chaos.
But the element refers to the creatures magic. Just because a creature flies doesn't mean its element is air, unless it uses magic that relates to air.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Wishlist:
Spoiler
Tanzanite Gemstone Kirin, White Cukurba, Catalana Dismot, White or Piebald Cervinus Deer, Angora Jackalope, Ouranian Koi, Arkenian Sakeira, winged cats
Dream creatures: Silver Alicanto, Calico Tienko
Real
CreaturesTrade

Post by Real »

CinnaminDraconna wrote: 9. Roc - listed as neutral - it flies for pete's sake, should be air
Just because it flies it doesn't mean it has air magic. It's a large bird. It needs to control it somehow to have the air element.
"Air - The magical ability to control winds, and travel through air like a fluid"
by Saebra

Return to “Community Discussion”