Wind and... Fruit? (A Magistream story)

This section is for any writing set in a world not of your own making, whether it is the Magistream world or any other.

Moderator: Tea House Moderators

MeepZerg
CreaturesTrade

Wind and... Fruit? (A Magistream story)

Post by MeepZerg »

This is the beginning of what I hope to turn into many stories of my keep. As such, it will progress along with my creatures, and be more about describing the setting then anything else. :wee:

My name is Kathryn. I am a magi who specializes primarily in wind magic, and secondarily in earth. I got off to a fairly rocky start at the Keep, because I couldn't choose an egg. Green Torveus Dragons just didn't seem quite right, Kitsunes and Direwolves were too common for me, and although I am keeping a Malachite Synaran Aericorn to study its magic, they don't do much.
So it was that I spent much time staring into the Stream. One day, a month or two into my career as a magi, I was sitting by the stream, practicing a bit of clever magic I had come up with. I had made a wind spell that caused a particular gas combination to look like you were breathing out green fire, and I wanted to make it come as naturally as blowing to me. As I was practicing, a white egg caught my eye. The blue wings sprouting from it reminded me of my "wind fire", as I called it. I had never seen this kind of egg in the stream until now, so I figured they were at least a little rare. I lifted it from the stream and headed to the library to identify my find. A Wind Hydra! This fierce creature would be a fine companion, so I set about preparing a small nest for the hatchling in my room, and a comfortable spot in my pack for the egg. I also thought about what to name the hatchling. Breeze? Gust? Tornado? Whirlwind? The more I thought about it, the more excited I became!
MeepZerg
CreaturesTrade

Re: Wind and... Fruit? (A Magistream story)

Post by MeepZerg »

Egg close to hatching at this point, setting description shall ensue.

The hatchling's nest would be perfect. My friends and I got together and magicked up a little cave in a corner of my room, enchanted to be larger inside than outside, with a lake enchanted to never spill or empty. Additional features included a never-emptying buffet table with different kinds of meat so each head could eat what it wanted, a fake city to destroy that would regenerate itself overnight, and an indestructible, oversized dog bed that would grow along with the hydra. Meanwhile, I was constantly keeping the egg with me and trying to read every book in the library that even mentioned hydras. My room was wind-proofed, as well as hatchling-proof. With some attention on my part, no damage would be caused. I got my schoolwork that would be due during the hatchling's first month ahead of time, so I could raise my companion properly. I had also noticed that the egg rocked slightly when I spoke, as if the hatchling could hear me, so I was reading books of lore to my egg. No harm could come of it, and perhaps it would make my hydra smarter and more knowledgeable.
Last edited by MeepZerg on February 5th, 2016, 8:52:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MeepZerg
CreaturesTrade

Re: Wind and... Fruit? (A Magistream story)

Post by MeepZerg »

My hydra hatched, thank you everyone!

One magical day, the egg burst open. It woke me up, as it was fairly early and I like to sleep late. Ravenously hungry, the newborn hydra bit my foot. Thankfully, not very hard, but enough to get me to bring it to its new home and buffet table. Each head chose a meat it wanted to eat, and chowed down, occasionally swapping meat buckets. My new friend was male, and I named him Windburn. When all five heads were satiated, Windburn began exploring his surroundings. Upon finding that his bed was not edible, he jumped into the pool for a swim. I joined him, and we played for an hour or so before sleepiness overcame Windburn. I prepared for our first training session while he slept, since Windburn was already showing signs of great intelligence and magical capabilities. Several treats would be required, and I had seen three heads at once fighting for the chicken during his first meal. I replaced that bucket with a fruit basket we had enchanted just in case, and prepared to teach Windburn a few basic commands.
When Windburn woke up, I taught him to come, sit, and stay before the hour, an average hydra's maximum attention span, was up. By then, it was lunchtime, but Windburn couldn't heel yet, so I magicked up some food for myself. By which I mean I made a strong gust blow some fruit up from the gardens. Hey, it took six of us to make the buffet table, and we did that one bucket at a time! Windburn started playing with magic, so I showed him how to make wind fire. His came out blue! It was just like his wings! Wait... wings? I wonder if he can fly...

Return to “The Den”