Tumblr Or DeviantART? [Mature And Serious]

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

MajestyYoungblood
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Tumblr Or DeviantART? [Mature And Serious]

Post by MajestyYoungblood »

So I have a DA, right? All of my experiences have been pretty pleasant so far, not a lot of hate. I've seen a few hateful comments, but thankfully nobody has targeted me. Since it was going so well, I decided to get a Tumblr, 'cause the art I've found on Google is pretty darn awesome. I created my account (with the app because the website SUUUCKS) with an open mind. For a while, it was fine.

However, I saw this certain post about a certain character (everyone was freaking out because he was confirmed gay). It said something like "why do people ship him with girls? the boy's gay. GAY. GAAAAAY." So I decided to respond something like "*is nervous* 'Cause we can. *something something*" Suddenly, EVERYONE was on my case. I seriously thought I said something wrong. The responses were like "you're a homophobe" or "you're taking away from the LGBT community." Um, HOW? It wasn't yours to begin with. So I went to DA, as it is my internet homepage, and made a journal asking for advice. Someone came along and said something like "You should just delete your account; the people there are toxic." So I did; don't really regret it. DA is my home, where I have made friends and have a tiny following. I quite enjoy it.

I've experienced both, and my final verdict is DA>Tumblr. The art might be amazing but it's not worth the toxicity. *sigh* What do you think?

* :roll:s away*
Saavi Youngblood
currently less active playing Honkai Impact 3rd and Genshin Impact! Image
AnaYamazaki
CreaturesTrade

Re: Tumblr Or DeviantART? [Mature And Serious]

Post by AnaYamazaki »

Tumblr seems to be the home and breeding ground of extremists whether it be for the femensit movement, LGBTQ+, Mens rights, etc, its all one side or the other, never a reasonable middle. Of course not everyone is like that, but a majority of that site is that. It really drowns out the truly reasonable people is a white noise of extremism. Its hard because it even translates to the art community and it makes it difficult to get proper criticism. I don't think deleting the account was the right way to go because there are many people on tumblr who are amazing and kind, its just about knowing who to interact with. I would have simply ignored those users and gone about posting or reblogging what I enjoy. If something really got under your skin or there were responses that were violent or severely insulting then reporting and blocking is the best way to go.

The only thing I see about DA is that its populated by mostly really good artists with nothing better to do because they don't really need the money from the art they make or tween and very young adults looking to try and make a name for themselves in a sea of others just like them with the few actually good ones here and there. DA personally unless its about critique, advice, ideas, or collabs, is not really a place to talk about serious issues, or big topics. Even risque art pertaining to big or controversial topic are strictly moderated or removes. The mods and admins of the site have a very strict idea of what they like and will allow and its all either soft super pretty or diluted and over used. None of the really big and real art is ever present in DA. DA is the nintendo of art websites. Its generally cutesy and rated g. Tumblr is on its own level but definitely not for someone who is not used to really dealing with or delving completely into the issues they mostly like to talk about.

Extremism is prevalent there though, Its unavoidable. For every one reasonable tumblr user you meet, there are 50 crazies all spouting as much crud as possible and screaming at the top of their lungs that something is either sexist, racist, homphobic, transphobic, etc. And while some things can be on the insulting side of the spectrum a lot, and I mean A LOT of the users overreact to a majority of what they rage on. Its a difficult site to work with in terms of its userbase but if you have a thick hide and some humor a lot of it is really entertaining because of how much nonsense gets thrown around.
Please help me get my cat some vet care after a local shelter mistreated him Image <--Click here for more info...
ImageImageImage Image
MajestyYoungblood
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

AnaYamazaki wrote:Tumblr seems to be the home and breeding ground of extremists whether it be for the femensit movement, LGBTQ+, Mens rights, etc, its all one side or the other, never a reasonable middle. Of course not everyone is like that, but a majority of that site is that. It really drowns out the truly reasonable people is a white noise of extremism. Its hard because it even translates to the art community and it makes it difficult to get proper criticism. I don't think deleting the account was the right way to go because there are many people on tumblr who are amazing and kind, its just about knowing who to interact with. I would have simply ignored those users and gone about posting or reblogging what I enjoy. If something really got under your skin or there were responses that were violent or severely insulting then reporting and blocking is the best way to go.

The only thing I see about DA is that its populated by mostly really good artists with nothing better to do because they don't really need the money from the art they make or tween and very young adults looking to try and make a name for themselves in a sea of others just like them with the few actually good ones here and there. DA personally unless its about critique, advice, ideas, or collabs, is not really a place to talk about serious issues, or big topics. Even risque art pertaining to big or controversial topic are strictly moderated or removes. The mods and admins of the site have a very strict idea of what they like and will allow and its all either soft super pretty or diluted and over used. None of the really big and real art is ever present in DA. DA is the nintendo of art websites. Its generally cutesy and rated g. Tumblr is on its own level but definitely not for someone who is not used to really dealing with or delving completely into the issues they mostly like to talk about.

Extremism is prevalent there though, Its unavoidable. For every one reasonable tumblr user you meet, there are 50 crazies all spouting as much crud as possible and screaming at the top of their lungs that something is either sexist, racist, homphobic, transphobic, etc. And while some things can be on the insulting side of the spectrum a lot, and I mean A LOT of the users overreact to a majority of what they rage on. Its a difficult site to work with in terms of its userbase but if you have a thick hide and some humor a lot of it is really entertaining because of how much nonsense gets thrown around.
I probably shouldn't have responded, that I agree on. But I had an opinion and a thought and I wanted share it. Also, I don't think it's about knowing WHO to interact with, as everyone has a breaking point, even if it's not reasonable. I only created the account because of art, and I wanted to post the stuff I created; but I didn't want to be silent (I hate being a silent writer). People freak out over the smallest things, and they freak out over absolutely nothing. I've seen posts about people breaking down and telling the community something that didn't need to be said. I knew that the site was toxic. But I saw passed it, until this happened. I seriously didn't think it was going to be so bad, but how wrong I was surprised me. Even a few (very few) people I had talked briefly to turned on me. Honestly it shocked me.

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN LOOKING??? I've only talked to a few people who have had their stuff flagged, and that wasn't by the mods; it was just by regular people. I actually haven't had my stuff flagged at all; have been that lucky? Everyone always talks about how their stuff gets flagged and mods PM them about their removal, but I haven't been affected by it. Serious conversation? Maybe because people don't want to have serious conversations. IF FACT, I'll test it; I'll make a serious journal to see if anyone catches wind of it.

So basically what you're saying is that people need tough skin to be on the internet? I SERIOUSLY shouldn't be on the internet then, yet here I am. I get the hunch that I've been way to lucky on the internet. :smirk:

:woo:
Saavi Youngblood
ShaiNeko
Site Moderator
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by ShaiNeko »

If you'd like to have this discussion, that's fine. However, please change the colors you have used to post with or I'll have to remove them. Currently they make it painful to try and read.
ImageImage :t--.-:
AnaYamazaki
CreaturesTrade

Post by AnaYamazaki »

MajestyYoungblood wrote:I probably shouldn't have responded, that I agree on. But I had an opinion and a thought and I wanted share it. Also, I don't think it's about knowing WHO to interact with, as everyone has a breaking point, even if it's not reasonable. I only created the account because of art, and I wanted to post the stuff I created; but I didn't want to be silent (I hate being a silent writer). People freak out over the smallest things, and they freak out over absolutely nothing. I've seen posts about people breaking down and telling the community something that didn't need to be said. I knew that the site was toxic. But I saw passed it, until this happened. I seriously didn't think it was going to be so bad, but how wrong I was surprised me. Even a few (very few) people I had talked briefly to turned on me. Honestly it shocked me.

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN LOOKING??? I've only talked to a few people who have had their stuff flagged, and that wasn't by the mods; it was just by regular people. I actually haven't had my stuff flagged at all; have been that lucky? Everyone always talks about how their stuff gets flagged and mods PM them about their removal, but I haven't been affected by it. Serious conversation? Maybe because people don't want to have serious conversations. IF FACT, I'll test it; I'll make a serious journal to see if anyone catches wind of it.

So basically what you're saying is that people need tough skin to be on the internet? I SERIOUSLY shouldn't be on the internet then, yet here I am. I get the hunch that I've been way to lucky on the internet. :smirk:

Being on the internet is hit or miss. Either you're overly offended or you're not. Its how I see it goes. Either you have a reasonable stand on things, or you are way too far to one side that it hurts. The internet is the place where people fear no one for what they think or say. Tumblr is no exception though as I said tumblr is a breeding ground for extremists to a large degree. Most people get lucky and manage to remain in certain niches where extremely negative and fussy people don't reach but once you actually move out of that and start conversing with strangers and moving into unfamiliar groups, you start to see where the crazies are.

A lot of the art I see of DevArt is very.... bland. Its the same thing over and over. Its all either practice or people who do sell there all doing similar things because that's what the site is into and sells. Its mostly a kind of place where people just collect old or recent art to ensure its in some way proven that its theirs. I've seen some articles of artists who do risque political art and the such have had their art taken down by mods or flagged by users I've also seen journals here and there of some artists not exactly happy with the way the mods run the place.

I digress. Tumblr is not a good place for art unless you already have friends who frequent the place for such who will reblog your art for their own followers to see. Either that or you have an establish a group of followers in some way before posting art because its not like DA where your art gets shown on a general front page. People have to look for you or you have to know what tags to use and hope there are people searching in those tags. Its easier to work through with the route of friends with a decent established following to share your stuff and get you followers. In terms of responding and dealing with everyone else, I generally ignore them. I follow some blogs that share about some controversial issues and have managed to not get attacked so I don't know what I am doing but I guess I am doing it right. I try to articulate and explain my point.

Considerably though I agree with you. How people decide to ship characters is up to them. How many times have hetero characters been shipped in homosexual pairings with other hetero characters. All of a sudden because one homosexual character is shipped in a hetero manner, its wrong and oh no burn all the people who do so. Its a matter of choice and one for of pairing cannot be okay while another is not. Either all pairings are respected and shipped equally or you stick to cannon and no homosexual, pansexual, etc, etc, pairing like most people go crazy about. This form of biased is annoying and quite frankly makes me wanna punch people in the throat... >.>
Please help me get my cat some vet care after a local shelter mistreated him Image <--Click here for more info...
ImageImageImage Image
MajestyYoungblood
CreaturesTrade

AnaYamazaki wrote:Being on the internet is hit or miss. Either you're overly offended or you're not. Its how I see it goes. Either you have a reasonable stand on things, or you are way too far to one side that it hurts. The internet is the place where people fear no one for what they think or say. Tumblr is no exception though as I said tumblr is a breeding ground for extremists to a large degree. Most people get lucky and manage to remain in certain niches where extremely negative and fussy people don't reach but once you actually move out of that and start conversing with strangers and moving into unfamiliar groups, you start to see where the crazies are.

A lot of the art I see of DevArt is very.... bland. Its the same thing over and over. Its all either practice or people who do sell there all doing similar things because that's what the site is into and sells. Its mostly a kind of place where people just collect old or recent art to ensure its in some way proven that its theirs. I've seen some articles of artists who do risque political art and the such have had their art taken down by mods or flagged by users I've also seen journals here and there of some artists not exactly happy with the way the mods run the place.

I digress. Tumblr is not a good place for art unless you already have friends who frequent the place for such who will reblog your art for their own followers to see. Either that or you have an establish a group of followers in some way before posting art because its not like DA where your art gets shown on a general front page. People have to look for you or you have to know what tags to use and hope there are people searching in those tags. Its easier to work through with the route of friends with a decent established following to share your stuff and get you followers. In terms of responding and dealing with everyone else, I generally ignore them. I follow some blogs that share about some controversial issues and have managed to not get attacked so I don't know what I am doing but I guess I am doing it right. I try to articulate and explain my point.

Considerably though I agree with you. How people decide to ship characters is up to them. How many times have hetero characters been shipped in homosexual pairings with other hetero characters. All of a sudden because one homosexual character is shipped in a hetero manner, its wrong and oh no burn all the people who do so. Its a matter of choice and one for of pairing cannot be okay while another is not. Either all pairings are respected and shipped equally or you stick to cannon and no homosexual, pansexual, etc, etc, pairing like most people go crazy about. This form of biased is annoying and quite frankly makes me wanna punch people in the throat... >.>
What I want to know is why Tumblr has become that way. That would be an interesting conversation. I hate ignoring people, if it somehow included me, but if it was a general conversation I'll just mosey along. Unless I have something I really want to share, of course. I might get back on just to see some of the artists that I saw, but it'll be hard for me to not respond to posts. BAH I always have something to say, and I like sharing my opinion. *sigh*

Well, yeah. Of course it like that; that's a majority of what DA is XD People don't change their selling points cause that's what sells. DA wasn't necessarily a place for art to be shared, but sold. The rest of us just joined in. It also depends on your art circle-what you ten to look up. I have a very eclectic art taste so I see a varied set of art. I actually haven't had any problem with mods or flaggers. It appears I have gotten EXTREMELY lucky.

I actually found some great artists on there, who were worth following. Also, art isn't randomly chosen to be front page; it's recommended by users. How you use DA or Tumblr also effects what you see and who you meet. Like if you as the app, the website on your phone, or a PC.

I wish people would just ignore the stuff they don't like. If I don't like something, I move on. I'm not a something-something about it. PUNCH THEM IN DA GABBA.

Saavi Youngblood
AnaYamazaki
CreaturesTrade

Post by AnaYamazaki »

Most definitely a very interesting conversation. I don't know what lead Tumblr to be the extremist place it is but most of its users are that way. Its odd.

Well I've been there for 8 years and not much has changed. I like random things so I always browse different sections and jump from artist to artist. DA doesnt seem so much for selling but more for portfolio and occasional selling. Its an interesting place no less. I used to follow a lot of different artists but once I moved and lost a lot of communication with the people I once talked to on there it became boring. Its also kind of bleh for me because I am not much of a forum user unless I have to. Really the only reason I am posting here is because its an intersting topic with no one else participating. I feel more inclined to talk because its a fresh conversation.

Otherwise I feel severely anxious and mostly left out to talk in existing topics, especially ones with hundreds of responses and/or more than 2 pages of responses. It feels like I'm being drowned out by an already established group. Like when you make friends with an existing group of friends whom already have their little circle and inside jokes and you feel a little left out because you have 0 idea of what is happening 90% of the time and the other 10% is hella hazy? Yeah thats me in forums, so its stress ful to get out there. Thankfully my art seems to be decent enough to get noticed by random users and faved once or twice here and there. I don't post art nearly as often to warrant enough attention for my art to be truly critiqued so meh.

I actually havent posted much art on Tumblr despite seeing so much good art. I'm considering it though seeing as I have reblogged enough humor stuff and posted some original content here and there and have started a decent follower count. I need to actually get on in though and make some art because I get so demotivated for it so often XD

Most people have this extreme need to make their opinions known and even more so to make their opinion the ruling one. To them its blasphemy if someone thinks differently and that is so annoying because instead of having a civilized debate and exchange of ideas, its one person yelling at the other nearly biting their head off. Tumblr is a strange place but I have actually had a lot of positive experiences despite wading into the controversy pool so yeah.
ImageImageImage Image
AssassinsCreed
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by AssassinsCreed »

Deviantart is a pleasent place:) until you meet people who thing they can run the site better and make their own laws about how everything should work XD There was this huge outrage between players when DA posted a journal about what stealing art is,the cophyright laws and so on...(with was 100% correct) and that they could NOT make a artist who posted someone elses art on their TUMBLR-page to take them down. As soon its outside DA, the DA-admins cannot legally do anything.
Unfortunately even on DA their power is limited. Unless the orginal artist reports the abuse / stolen image they -legally- cannot take it down. Sure they SHOULD, but if its legal or not is completely other thing..
Of course,most people got pissed and was under the impression that DA dosent give a shit about artists and stolen art. le sigh...

And TUMBLR... I have blood on my hands yes.
I created my TUMBLR-page to read blogs from some Howrse-people. One week and it ended in a freaking blood-war,name calling, stabbing in the back, accusations, unknown people stalking mm. Holy shit.
There was this one certain member on howrse that dumped over-sales-gp horses in sales (she was a team member; in all teams they have a rule between the members NEVER sell a horse above current GP sales horses UNLESS its gelded). What happend? she sold bunch of 100+GP above sales foals. She got kicked out of the team-tried to get back - and her teammates was furious about that.
Since howrse have this "no naming and shaming" rule some people posted on TUMBLR in their blogs to not trust her due to trust issues. The player who dumped foals of course denied EVERYTHING and pretended she did nothing wrong (besides destroying all her teammates hard work and making their other high GP horses wortless...) and pretended to be biggest victim.
People cooled down a bit after 2-3 days,but she kept on bugging about it over and over in forums how people was bullying her and couldnt let it go so people got pissed and put her roughly in place. The forum got locked by mods shortly after (it was not a pleasant sight, saw it go down...damn it was ugly).

Pissed beyond belief some people started talking about her on TUMBLR... and this is where things got really bad really fast. Someone made a account and started to stalk every single one who had that user-related-post in their blogs, no matter if they just reblogged it or actually did more with it. So now there was a HUGE war going on with this 1 username who herself became the biggest bully and pretending being a savior.
Holy shit never enter the Howrse-TUMBLR-cave.
I know I will keep away from it..reading yes,reblogging only if there isnt too much shit in it.

what can I say.Social media can destroy you. REALLY destroy you... not to mention it also give you the power to destroy someone :derp: TUMBLR is the easiest way to use for whatever you want. Its full of shit-talk,especially within the gayrights-feminists-mm area (both sides) x.x
AnaYamazaki
CreaturesTrade

Post by AnaYamazaki »

Oh I saw that DA Journal about art theft. It was 100% legit I can't believe people freaked out. I mean if you personally have the legal means to make someone take something down go for it, otherwise you gotta know what you're doing to really get anything to happen in terms of art theft, as well as the person has be blatantly reusing you image or something along those lines to really get anything done.

TUMBLR is vicious man, I'm telling you its a breeding ground of extremism. I usually follow humor blogs and the such but I follow an occasional blog here and there that cover some important issues, and there is this one called geekandmisandry that I kind of like bu ho damn shes a beast and not the good kind. Someone made a mention at some point that they personally didn't understand why men belittled women so much especially stay at home kind of women and that when/if he got married he would show his wife all the love and respect because she would not only be helping him raise his family while hes working but would cook for him, help him with life troubles and be there for him as much as he'd be there for her, and give him a good lay here and there. Its the kind of typical look into a stay at home wife/working husband relationship. The way he wrote it seemed crude but he genuinely seemed respectful of the fact that if he were to get a wife like that that it would be amazing everything she would have to go through for him and how she deserved all the praise, respect, and love in the world. The geekandmisandry blog just tore that poor dude down, calling him a freak and an abuser for wanting to make a woman submissive like that or being attracted to that stereotype and how it was disgusting how he wanted a mommy figure to listen to his problem and how it was disgusting that he would even consider forcing a wife into such a gender role.

I just sat there like, "dafuq?" I personally enjoy the thought of being a stay at home mom and having a warm meal for my husband when he comes home, raising and schooling the kids at home, cleaning up and keeping my home tidy and neat, of helping my man out when hes down and knowing that ain't no one gonna give him as good of a lay as me so I was offended because she bashed the stay at home image and mate it seem like stay at home wives were demeaning themselves and men that enjoyed the idea of a stay at home wife like that were digusting misogynistic pigs and that being a stay at home wife is a nasty gender role only made to bring women down, and I was like "Hold the phone sister you need to calm your mammary glands and take a seat. Drink some water, eat a cookie, have a massage because jesus you have so much anger and hatred in you."

Its amazing how extremist people can be and how much they are willing to put others down to get their point across, especially on tumblr. A lot of the extremism is so misguided to, it hurts my brain at times.
ImageImageImage Image
Agentofthe1Truth
CreaturesTrade

Post by Agentofthe1Truth »

I definitely prefer DA. Have a Tumblr account, but don't go on it much at all these days. Had a couple of roleplay accounts too, but the group I was in was led by people who I swear had tracing paper for skin. I 'offended' one of the mods with a post(it was totally harmless, but for the sake of context it involved a real-world occurrence that they were -certain- was just a racist stereotype), and even though I was never banned from the group, that mod continued to be hostile toward me. It eventually reached a point that the other ones started trying to force me into breaking rules so they could give the one an excuse to ban me and shut up about it. Why they didn't just remove them as a mod I will never know.

But yeah, DA all the way. I'm not popular enough to have art stolen, but I still get a decent amount of faves and comments.
My Eggehs
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Hall of Speakers”