Do videogames influence violence? Or Cause it?

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

Stallion
CreaturesTrade

Re: Do videogames influence violence? Or Cause it?

Post by Stallion »

I do think videogames influence violence, but not necessarily causes it.

I think what causes it would be some psychological conditions (like, strict parents, being bullied and such.), or just a bad parenting where the parents didn't tell their child that it's not okay to do that. There used to be this boy next door who owns a playstation, and well... he's pretty aggresive when it comes to games, and there's also one of my cousin who's pretty much the same. Their parents didn't actually tell them that it's bad to, say, punch someone >.>

There's also me, who used to be somewhat agressive to my family because of, well..
bullied. >.>
Altough i wasn't that aggresive now, i still like to puch something because why not.>>

also,
aButteredBanana wrote:... I do think that there is caution to be had when younger audiences (lower than the consumer rating [E, E10+, M 18+, etx]) as they can imitate actions of characters which can bring harm to others around them....
Wasn't that already the whole purpose of ESRB system?
i don't think it would work, though. It may work in English-speaking countries, but not others. As a kid, i don't even know what ESRB even mean. >.>
myultimateanswer
CreaturesTrade

Post by myultimateanswer »

I don't know why everyone moans about the violence in videogames when they completely overlook the huge amount of it in movies and in TV. Yes I know that the child controlling and instigating it in the game is different but far more films, esecialy horror films or even just normal films are more bloody and graphic that some of the worst video games.
\(-_-)/
Please feel free to PM me about anime, manga and fanfiction. I wanna chat! :3
Dream pet!: Fire kitsune (If you have one PM me and i'll try to get enough!!!!)

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Revan014
CreaturesTrade

Post by Revan014 »

They can do but some people are more impressionable than others.

I play many videogames, Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls and Fable are a few with the most violence in them, yet the most violent thing I do (when not angered/ attacked first, etc) is get a stunt lightsaber I got from a website and have a mock battle with. I remember something I was told, this man had played GTA recently, after going on a robbery (or something) he was detained by police, he apparently did it because " I was rewarded for it in a game.", definitely some games affect people, but it depends on their sense of right and wrong, discipline/ upbringing and a few other factors.
Please click here.
UNDER RECONSTRUCTION
once I stop procrastinating
ImNotOkay
CreaturesTrade

Post by ImNotOkay »

Do video games influence violence in society today?

Honestly it depends on the person,the person is the one who decides if they are going to be influenced by the violence in the videogame or not.For me i have played some "very violent" video games before and even got addicted watching some on youtube as well.Although many people see and use videogames as influence looking up to the characters as an ido, which is normal since we do this in regular society today. Well back in the days were video games still was violent many kids would act them out to have fun, Considering i have not heard many cases about teens ,childern, be violent because of video games in a non "playing" behavor. I would say that most people in society know better and was taught better to know that violence is not the key to every thing and to not be influence by it.
ImageImageImageImage
Shadedrifter
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by Shadedrifter »

Well, I've grown up with somewhat violent games because of my brother and father who loved to play them. I played Lord of The Rings, Splinter Cell, Time Splitters even Grand Theft Auto San Andreas even when I was really young, I was never affected in a bad way though. I didn't only play those kind of games however, I loved to play stuff like Pokémon, Spyro, Ratchet and Clank, Zoo Tycoon 2, Rollercoaster Tycoon and so fourth. I'm an extremely calm and patient person who hates even the slightest bit of violence in real life, and I've only snapped and hit someone once seriously in my whole life. Even if I was bullied, someone hit me or people wouldn't get out of my face, I never hit. Perhaps it's because of how my parents raised me.

Now don't tell me my parents raised me bad because I was allowed to play those types of games, because I'm clearly a very sane person who has no violent tendencies. It's all fictional and I know it's fictional, I always have. Even stuff like Grand Theft Auto or PAYDAY where shootings and such find place, just because I play a bank robber in a video game doesn't make me want to go out and rob a real bank. Same with how Surgeon Simulator doesn't make me want to become a surgeon. Video games have always been a big part of my life, and I have a vivid imagination thanks to that. So no I don't think violent games affect anyone unless they have some sort of tendencies or psychological problem already, I think it depends on the parents, partly also the age and of course yourself.
DeusSuetonius
CreaturesTrade

Post by DeusSuetonius »

as with all things, only violent video games cause violence. gentle/happy video games cannot cause violence
ImageImageImageImage
ImNotOkay
CreaturesTrade

Post by ImNotOkay »

DeusSuetonius wrote:as with all things, only violent video games cause violence. gentle/happy video games cannot cause violence
This is false, of course it CAN influence violence but it depends on the player.Like you said
gentle/happy video games cannot cause violence
that is false because my friend went on rage because of how annoying it was and actually punched the wall... and did that to every game like that....

but back to the "only violent games causes violence" their have been some reports of teenagers and adults causing violence because of the influence.I have to say in conclusion it depends on the person, all of our mind works different like how each and every one of us looks different.
ImageImageImageImage
daedra
CreaturesTrade

Post by daedra »

Shadedrifter wrote:Condensed
I'm seconding everything you said here. My parents allowed my brother and I to play violent games and we turned out alright. I guess my mother didn't think about censoring what we were exposed to. We were always able to separate real life from fiction, even around kindergarten age. I don't think we were very easily scared. Some of the games we played far younger than I'd allow my own children: Parasite Eve, Diablo 1, Metal Gear Solid.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Hall of Speakers”