Food Allergies

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

darkandstormyheart
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Re: Food Allergies

Post by darkandstormyheart »

1. Do you have any food allergies? If so, what are they?
I am allergic to corn, which is super annoying because I love corn. D:

2. If you have food allergies, what measures do you take to avoid coming in contact with the food/s?
It's not too serious (eating too much corn just gives me intestinal issues), so I forget most of the time that I'm allergic. When I do remember, though, it's usually when someone (my mom) reminds me at a restaurant or when my siblings pick out a cereal that is mostly corn while I'm taking classes. I try to order stuff that doesn't have a lot of corn in it, and I just don't eat corn on the cob.

3. Food allergies are reported to be on the rise. While there is no clear answer yet as to why, I would like to know your opinion and why you believe the number of people with food allergies is increasing.
This is actually the first I've heard about this, but I agree with Intempestivity.

4. Schools are consistently brought up when the topic of allergies among children is discussed and how schools should take a better stand protecting children with allergies. What do you think about this? Do you believe schools should take measures towards making their premises safer for children with allergies? Why/why not?
I think that schools should not protect their premises because kids need to learn to deal with their allergies themselves. You can't expect the world to pad it's corners just because ackee fruit(look it up!) gives you hives. I take classes at a place called The Prometheus Academy, where homeschoolers can take classes that are hard to find when you're a homeschooler. And they don't pad corners, so to speak. At TPA, if you have a food allergy, you're expected to deal with it. If you don't and have a reaction, the teachers will help you if it's really severe, but if it's not it's your problem. I think that public schools' reaction to kids with food allergies should not be to pad their corners, but to be more like TPA.
Solembumer
CreaturesTrade

Post by Solembumer »

Salmon: Uncontrolled vomiting/severe dehydration for three-four days after consumption.
Rosemary: Bizarre, randomly located pain and strep throat-like symptoms for 24 hours after consumption. Sometimes nasal blockage.
Pollen: Uncontrolled nasal irritation/drainage/blockage. Usually unavoidable. Drainage during spring, and blockage during fall.

2. If you have food allergies, what measures do you take to avoid coming in contact with the food/s? (Ex. Do you carry an epipen, do you check labels on everything you buy, do you avoiding eating out at restaurants and/or at friends/family homes, etc.)
Salmon: I generally ask restaurants, seafood only/others if someone near me orders salmon, if they can ensure mine does not come into contact with it.
Rosemary: My reaction is so mild I consume it anyways and just carry my pollen meds to ensure I can breathe. I deal with the pain.
Pollen: I have nasal spray and a tablet I take at night. It works wonders.

3. Food allergies are reported to be on the rise. While there is no clear answer yet as to why, I would like to know your opinion and why you believe the number of people with food allergies is increasing.
We have no natural threats anymore due to immunization... so the immune system randomly attacks things even slightly different assuming they are unsafe. This is actually proven fact, last I checked.

4. Schools are consistently brought up when the topic of allergies among children is discussed and how schools should take a better stand protecting children with allergies. What do you think about this? Do you believe schools should take measures towards making their premises safer for children with allergies? Why/why not?
I think that the most severe allergens should be banned. Joey can't have his PB&J sandwich, Mr. Barns, because it's a death sentence to three students in the class if he touches them. Send it again and your son just won't be eating for that day. No, Ms. Jamison, Emily cannot bring those peanut butter crackers. Why? Because the little girl she's friends with will die if she eats one.
It's common sense.... no peanuts in school. It's the most common allergy (besides pollen) in the world.
I no longer use this name (and have not in years) but if I changed it I'd never find this account again....

ImageImageImageImageImage
RavensEdge
CreaturesTrade

Post by RavensEdge »

Mangoes. I get really itchy but no signs of hives...Yet. Certain Spices as well. Like an Italian blend or something.

2. If you have food allergies, what measures do you take to avoid coming in contact with the food/s? (Ex. Do you carry an epipen, do you check labels on everything you buy, do you avoiding eating out at restaurants and/or at friends/family homes, etc.)
I check food labels or food cartons, At restaurant's if theres any Italian spice or mangoes I just avoid and Void out those foods.

Well. My theory is either people don't know about said allergy until its to late or they really just don't care. The more you eat the more the allergy will get worse.

Honestly. Kids should know about their allergies. The school can try to avoid it but other then that I'm not sure.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Hall of Speakers”