Pit Bulls

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

TNHawke
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Re: Pit Bulls: A dangerous breed?

Post by TNHawke »

I agree that the breed today makes a good family dog. It's specifically the notion that they were originally bred to be a nanny dog that I question. Because historically terriers are working/ fighting/ hunting dogs, and any form of bully breed was generally used for bull herding, baiting or fighting, hence the big blocky heads, strong jaws, sturdy stance, solid build, and the folds in their shortened face, which were designed to channel blood away from the eyes and nose.
Hawke's IRL fiance, Lunaroki, suffered a massive stroke and died on Tuesday, March 31st, 2015.

Hawke needs to concentrate on other things, and is leaving MS permanently.

Thank you all for many fun years.
ImageImageImageImage
MinervaClay
CreaturesTrade

Post by MinervaClay »

Moved the doberman thing to PM.

The origin of the nanny dog has been slightly mutated and, as people are lazy with their google-fu, have trouble bringing up origins. It's further compounded by the fact that "pitbulls" are not actually AKC recognized breeds in the scope that people apply the term (I believe APBTs have finally been recognized, maybe?). The closest there is are the Staffordshire terrier, which in 1971 past good old Mrs Lilian Rant (magazine editor for the Staffordshire Bull Terrier Club of America) acknowledged as having gathered an unsavory reputation for violence and being associatied with Ruffians, while in her time the Staffords were quickly accepted into the children and, as she put it, were refered to as a "nursemaid dog".

She uses a variation of the argument used by mister lee about seventy-seven years before about the Bull Terrier (ancestor of the pit), suggesting that the reputation of them was left in the distant past. As an editor for the magazine she worked at, she coined it as a public term that gained popularity about Stafford enthusiasts.

Magazine quotes,

"Breeder Kathy Thomas, president of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier Association said, 'We're aware of the fighting - there's a lot of it in the Hamilton area. We only sell to family homes.'"

"Thomas, mother of two young children, said her eight Staffordshires are 'wonderful with children. In England, our Staffies were called the nanny-dog because they were gentle with kids.'"

The foundation type for the APBT breed were never really "guard dogs" in the US. They were, as erwins said, all purpose farm and family dogs, who, granted, were first created as bloodsport dogs in England. And other strains were, frankly, still used for bloodsports.

The bloodsport dogs were mainly bred in the rural south by white people. They were bred very carefully NOT to exhibit human aggression, and were ruthlessely culled if they did so. They really didn't often make it out to the general population, as, instead of placing wash-out dogs as pets, they were simply killed. A few were also used to develop the Southern Catch Dogs, hog hunting dogs.

The multi-purpose farm and family dogs were, again, not encouraged to show human aggression OR extreme animal aggression, as they had to work around other animals. They were used for basic warning dogs on the farm, to help move cattle, to get rid of rats and mice and other pets, and as companions.

The modern day American Staffordshire Terrier really has far more in common with the latter type. The modern day American Pit Bull Terrier show such a diversity of type and temperment that it's really impossible to consider it a "breed" as such. They go from the duel-registered AmStaff type, to the overblown and sloppy and lazy "Bullies", to the more traditional Southern Catch Dog type which is lean and muscular and quick.

It's part of why people have such a hard time identifying what a pitbull is.

It's admittedly hard to find any citation before 1971. You know, before the internet, and most modern forms of communication that we're currently browsing for our data on. Someone didn't see fit to scan in extensive articles about how much people love their family pit bull.

I can show one cultural hint about it.

ImageImageImage
Image <--So this is my first fusemon. I'm not sure if I should cry.
Image <-- Help it hatch into something not-stupid-looking! =D
annalily
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by annalily »

I have a pit-bull in the non-official sense(in other words, she is a mutt of the sort that everyone would call a pit-bull, but is not one of the officially recognized breeds) and she is a total marshmallow. Pit-bulls are not dangerous dogs if raised correctly. The problem is if they do bite it's going to do a lot more damage than if a yorkie bites, thus more attention is drawn to their attacks and fear of them increases. Also, idiots would want a "tough" and "mean" dog hear about their reputation and then get a pit-bull because of it, raise them badly, and add to the bad rep cycle.
Mysfytt
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Post by Mysfytt »

1.) Do you own a pit bull or a pit bull-type of dog?
I used to own a brindle Staffordshire Bull terrior (Staffy) Staffies, though put in this class are not banned in Australia and many make wonderful loving pets, most being now bred for that purpose. They are in fact quite soft and sooky. The other banned breeds I don't know, not having had dealings with them other than what you see on the news.

2.) If yes, then did you train them from a puppy?
Absolutely - with ANY dog breed they need to know their limits of what they are ad are not allowed to do, this is a basic part of obedience training - should be applied to children too since it makes both a useful member of society. Not setting proper boundaries can lead to superiority and aggression. - and yes in both dogs and kids XD.

3.) How do you feel about certain breeds being banned?
Don't know really, some like the Japanese Tosa and similar banned breeds here in Oz are quite large dogs bred for their muscle tone. Not having them in the hands of idiots or people who would exploit them is a good thing...but could these type of dogs be loving loyal pets - you bet. They were selectively bred for their aggression, we can certainly selectively breed to keep the size but lower that tendency to attack.

4.) Do you think pit bulls are dangerous breeds?
I think a lot of dog breeds are dangerous, and yes pit bulls are one of them. Again breeding and treatment have a lot to do with this, because we have genetically selected the most viscous of the breed to proginate, many despite having loving homes can be a little too eager to use their force in protection. Case in point my friends bred Staffies, one male in particular had a tendency to attack any dog including his own parents, even after being neutered. He was moved on to live at the daughters place as an only dog.

5.) Why do you think someone might diagree with you?
Possibly they themselves have owned a banned pit bull breed - or possibly they think there is good in anything if properly trained.

6.) Have you ever been attacked by a dog or know someone who has?
Yes, by one of the other breeds I consider dangerous - a Blue Heeler cattle dog. Working dogs like heelers, kelpies, collies and other similar breeds are bred specifically to chase, herd and yes bite at the heels of cattle. This CANNOT be trained out of them. Many pit bull breed bred specifically for the ring may also carry these genetic traits which will be very hard to breed out. I would trust a Staffie over a Heeler any day.

7.) Anything else? Nope
I am so excited...- ImageWheeeeeeee!
Evil does not understand beauty for it can never possess it,
so hidden away, secretly, in the dark - It destroys it.

tornadofan2
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade

Post by tornadofan2 »

No, I don't own a pit bull or a pit bull-type of dog.
No, but any dog should be trained as soon as you get it.
On one side, I think it's rather stupid. Yes, certain breeds may be banned because they are 'aggressive' but it depends on their training. Any dog that is bred can be trained to be a good dog.
On the other side, if it's better for the breed, I will agree with it.
No. I don't consider any breed a dangerous breed. It doesn't matter which breed it is, I will never think of them as dangerous. I love dogs, I always have and I always will. No matter how 'aggressive' a breed might be, it really depends on the owner and training.
Sure, a lot of people might.
Yes, I've been attacked several times by dogs. One dog, a shepherd, bit me in the lip. I walked around with stitches for a week or so. My grandfather sold the dog, I have no idea what happened to her/him. Then there was this accident where someone put my hand underneath a fence and a dog bit. Yes, it was sure painful but I still didn't think it was the dog's fault. Then there are another few cases where I've been bitten, I never am scared of dogs though. I will always approach them and let them sniff me, even if they show aggressive traits.
7.) Anything else?
Not really.
6/25 creatures.
wishlist:
sanus, coal wyrm, all crystal wings, light zalon, dark zalon, akhlut, caerulean hammerhead, squall setova, ridged setova, tiexos ixsu
Saltpath
CreaturesTrade

Post by Saltpath »

I've never been bitten by a dog before (unless I'm playing with my little fluff-ball, (She's a bichon cross!) Alice!) so I see no reason to be frightened of any particular breed of dog, and ESPECIALLY not pit bulls. I mean, sure, they're used in dog fights and everything, but that's wrong, and they're raised horrendously anyway in those situations. If you just give a pit bull a little love, It will be sweet and loyay! :)
Taylor: You made a rebel of a careless man's careful daughter… You are the best thing that's ever been mine…

Me: Ô_Õ

Please click my babies!!:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
SleepyThunder
CreaturesTrade

Post by SleepyThunder »

No

I haven't had a Pit Bull puppy ever.

I honestly don't think it's fair. Sure, some breeds are going to be more muscular, stronger, more ABLE to attack, and maybe even bred TO attack... But that doesn't mean they will. It takes a certain level of stupidity to purposely make a dog mad enough to attack you. And even if it charges you... Well, that would be the owners fault for not taking care of/training the dog. I think that instead of breed banning, there should be a test somebody has to take so that they can show they are able to own this breed. Better than a whole breed getting banned.

I think that they could cause damage and do have a higher fighting drive due to their roots, but I also think that if they have the right owner/caretaker, they can make a wonderful breed. They are very loving, and I have been around many.

Because of the breed's history of attacking, and of their roots as a fighter dog.

Yes, I know somebody who has. But, I mean, they are animals... You can never totally get rid of that wild instinct.
7.) Anything else?
No, I believe that I have made my opinion clear: They have to be in the right hands, and they can make a great gentle, loving, loyal, friendly breed.
Remember you were given this life because you were strong enough to live it.
Please click on my pets!
SleepyThunder
CreaturesTrade

Post by SleepyThunder »

Chester wrote:I agree. There is no such thing as a dangerous breed.

Agreed.

Please do not double post. There is an edit-button at the top right where you can add something in your post in case if you forgot. Thanks,

BradTheMad
Remember you were given this life because you were strong enough to live it.
Please click on my pets!
ShadyPaws
CreaturesTrade

Post by ShadyPaws »

I think that the thing with pitbulls are that they rarely bite, but when they do, it is usually worse than a bite from another breed because of their strong jaws. For example, if you were bitten by a labrador, it would usually bite and let go but a pitbull is bred to hold on. Pitbulls are not aggressive breeds but a lot are mistreated and not trained properly from a young age and like any dog, can become aggressive if it does not recieve correct care, training and stimulation.
buzzardleap
CreaturesTrade

Post by buzzardleap »

I haven't got a Pitbull or any dog like that. I have never been bitten by a dog, just play-nipped by my fluffball! The pitbull breed is NOT dangerous, it is a characteristic trained into them as puppies if they are wanted to be used for gaurding or bad stuff like baiting. But the breed itself is not dangerous, i think they are really cute. They make great pets when they are trained properly and i would love to have one!
Please click my babies!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Hall of Speakers”