Teenager Stereotypes

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

SilverWolf
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Teenager Stereotypes

Post by SilverWolf »

This topic is to discuss if you feel teenagers are stereotyped or not, and why or why not. I didn't find another topic that is specifically about teen stereotypes, but if there is one out there, please lock this.

Code: Select all

[b]What is your opinion on teens?[/b] 
[b]Why do you feel that way?[/b] 
[b]If you are a parent with a teenager, does your teen exhibit common stereotypes?[/b] 
[b]When you were a teenager, or if you still are, did/do you exhibit any teenage stereotypes?[/b] 
And anything else related to teen stereotypes that you feel is appropriate to discuss here. If you're a parent with a teenager, you can share how they act(Be it stereotypical or not).

These are some common stereotypes associated with teens that I hear a lot that you may discuss or debate about:

● Can't be trusted.
● Don't like their parents, they don't listen to them, and hate to be seen with them
● Only care about their social life(Boyfriends/Girlfriends/Friends)
● Want the most expensive things
● Ungrateful
● Troublemakers
● Sex-crazed
● Never accept blame/Always blaming parents for everything wrong in their life
● Don't care about school
● Immature
+ Any other stereotypes concerning teenagers that you may have heard.

Please, no flaming or hating on somebody because of their opinion. Discussing anothers opinion is one thing, scolding their opinion is another.

My personal opinion
Spoiler
Being a teenager, I feel that teenagers are stereotyped quite often, and that it's even socially acceptable to stereotype teens. I sometimes feel like I'm not an individual due to how some people treat me, purely because of my age. They assume I'm something I'm not just because I'm young.

Yes, for most teenagers, several of those stereotypes are true. But what about the ones who aren't like any of the teenager stereotypes we all hear? Is it right to group all teenagers together and label them as one thing, or should we treat them as individuals? I've dealt with stereotypes against teenagers for a while, and even some of my own peers have stereotyped me. I'm always able to brush it off, though. But I haven't been able to get one incident out of my head.

A couple of months ago, my mom and I were in the grocery store. A song was playing that my mom liked, and she was doing a little jig while going into one of the isles. When she started doing her jig, we were turning into the isle. There were a couple ladies there, looking at products, and one of the ladies was on the phone. When my mom starting doing her little dance while walking, I, out of habit, told her "Mom! Stop it!". After I said that the lady on the phone said, in a mocking tone with a smirk on her face "Noooo mom! You're embarrassing me, stooop!" and laughed after saying that. I immediately told her "Uh, no, she has a bad back and has thrown her back out before by dancing in here.", with my mom saying something along the same lines with me. She said nothing, and we kept going.

A lot of times, my mom does stuff that isn't good for her, like dancing in the middle of a store while walking. Most of the time it doesn't hurt her, but the the few times it does, she has to lay in bed for a day to recover. Just because she danced. So sometimes, I have to tell her not to do something, or to let me do it. But of course, since I'm a teenager, that lady assumed that I was scolding my mom because I was embarrassed, and even laughed at me about it. It really irritates me when people assume something because of their age/race/gender/how they look/etc. I'm the complete opposite of a stereotypical teenager; yet I am still sometimes treated as one.
LTS | LTB
SB Tenabra Fox Army: 663 | Total albinos in army(-9 eggs): 114
"Maybe, somewhere out there, even a devil may cry when he loses a loved one. Don't you think?" - Lady
|
ImageImageImage
MissMurderPaws
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Re: Teenager Stereotypes

Post by MissMurderPaws »

What is your opinion on teens? I am a teenager, and while yes, their are teenagers who fit the stereotypes, if not all then maybe one or two, I feel we're treated wrongly, all of us, because of some.
Why do you feel that way? I get told I can't do this, don't understand that, are not responsible enough, can't be trusted, ect because of my age, and I feel it's very unfair.
If you are a parent with a teenager, does your teen exhibit common stereotypes? I am not a parent, and pretty glad for right now, I don't want kids til my thirties O.o
When you were a teenager, or if you still are, did/do you exhibit any teenage stereotypes? Heck no, I love hanging out with my mom, in public too, and it's always a blast when she comes on field trips with me. While yes, i care deeply for my long time boyfriend, I am an active knowledge seeker/reader/writer/artist. When i go shopping for anything really, I try to get the cheap/on sale stuff, I always take responsibility for my actions, I love learning, and going to school, and I CAN be immature, but the silly kind that laughs at fart jokes.
I try to return clicks! Thank you so much for any clicks!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Live for Dethklok. Die for Dethklok.
Mother of Monsters DiscordMy F2U Base Library
SilverWolf
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Post by SilverWolf »

Arospersonalguard wrote:What is your opinion on teens? I am a teenager, and while yes, their are teenagers who fit the stereotypes, if not all then maybe one or two, I feel we're treated wrongly, all of us, because of some.
Why do you feel that way? I get told I can't do this, don't understand that, are not responsible enough, can't be trusted, ect because of my age, and I feel it's very unfair.
If you are a parent with a teenager, does your teen exhibit common stereotypes? I am not a parent, and pretty glad for right now, I don't want kids til my thirties O.o
When you were a teenager, or if you still are, did/do you exhibit any teenage stereotypes? Heck no, I love hanging out with my mom, in public too, and it's always a blast when she comes on field trips with me. While yes, i care deeply for my long time boyfriend, I am an active knowledge seeker/reader/writer/artist. When i go shopping for anything really, I try to get the cheap/on sale stuff, I always take responsibility for my actions, I love learning, and going to school, and I CAN be immature, but the silly kind that laughs at fart jokes.
I think that's the good immature. If you don't laugh at fart jokes, then you can't laugh. Heck, my mom is turning 55 soon, and she still laughs at farts and fart jokes :lol:
LTS | LTB
SB Tenabra Fox Army: 663 | Total albinos in army(-9 eggs): 114
"Maybe, somewhere out there, even a devil may cry when he loses a loved one. Don't you think?" - Lady
|
ImageImageImage
WillowPuma
CreaturesTrade
Location: Narnia... No, no wait... Neverland... Atlantis? Middle Earth. Hogwarts. I should make a list.

Post by WillowPuma »

What is your opinion on teens? Well, I am one. So i'm really not that fond of them.
Why do you feel that way? I never like people my age, or lower.
If you are a parent with a teenager, does your teen exhibit common stereotypes? I should hope not.
When you were a teenager, or if you still are, did/do you exhibit any teenage stereotypes? Some of them.

Can't be trusted. This really depends on the teenager, in my opinion.
Don't like their parents, they don't listen to them, and hate to be seen with them. This goes for most of us- including me. But I may be wrong.
Only care about their social life(Boyfriends/Girlfriends/Friends). Well, we care a lot more than we should. Relatively, I hardly care at all, and yet I care a lot.
Want the most expensive things. Possibly? This doesn't go for me, but it may be true. I got no idea.
Ungrateful. Yes... Because we haven't been in that place where we actually have responsibilty and have to pay for food and rent.
Troublemakers. Hmm. Again, depends.
Sex-crazed With all those raging hormones... What can you expect?
Never accept blame/Always blaming parents for everything wrong in their life. yeah. I think this goes for me. Although at the time, I didn't see it. After I simmered down, I realised that I should have taken some of the blame. I'm being very vague, i'm sorry.
Don't care about school. This goes for me. But mostly, because I waste a lot of time at school. I don't mean I just want to have fun, but I don't see how knowing a few rukles in geometry will help me when i'm older.
Immature. Yes. We haven't finished being kids. It's a finishing process... Sort of.

I can't explain myself, and without these points I would start babbling about something completely irrelevant.

Also, as you can see, i'm not the smartest of people, so, um, yeah. I'm aware of that. XD
Looking for a 1x1 partner. Have a great day! You are awesome.
Grizz
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by Grizz »

What is your opinion on teens? Teens are people too.
Why do you feel that way? People are individuals. An age range doesn't change that.
If you are a parent with a teenager, does your teen exhibit common stereotypes? My daughter is a long way off from being a teen.
When you were a teenager, or if you still are, did/do you exhibit any teenage stereotypes? Let's see... shall we?
Can't be trusted. No.
Don't like their parents, they don't listen to them, and hate to be seen with them. I liked my parents. I didn't mind being seen with them.
Only care about their social life(Boyfriends/Girlfriends/Friends). It wasn't the only thing I cared about but I felt it was important
Want the most expensive things. Occasionally but not often.
Ungrateful. No.
Troublemakers. I was grounded a grand total of 1 time in my teenage years.
Sex-crazed No.
Never accept blame/Always blaming parents for everything wrong in their life. I accepted blane if I had something I needed to accept it over.
Don't care about school I was the exact opposite of this.
Immature. Nope.
Just under 4,000 creatures to click here! Now you need not click my keep.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Spoiler
Shizune0715
CreaturesTrade

Post by Shizune0715 »

What is your opinion on teens? Teens are at the stage where they're usually in one (or a mix) of various situations: (1) being dropped like a hot potato by their parents, (2) being given freedom gradually, (3) being given freedom but constantly supervised, or (4) being told what to do for everything. So its kinda natural for them to have a lot of (over)reactions and all that. I wouldn't hold it against them.
Its just the same as racial discrimination, sexual discrimination, gender discrimination and all that. You can never really generalize a population.
Why do you feel that way? Well I'm probably one of the weirder combinations of teenager... pretty good grades, doesn't like to study, has a big group of friends, antisocial, doesn't like to party, willing to spend for self and friends, insanely frugal (to the point I just let my parents pay) when alone or with family, no interests in a sexual/romantic relationship (no boyfriend since birth), apparently too mature for my age, but having insanely immature moments and likes such as obsessions with gaming (Tetris or Harvest Moon anyone?) and adorable item collections (my plushies got plushie-napped by my parents when I moved back in D: said they were bad for my allergies). Plus I've met many others like me so when people start telling me off about me being a typical teenager who blah blah blah I get really irked. To the point I get rude and snarky because I know they don't listen to my reasoning anyway (and this is not the typical teenage mindset, its an actual fact). When I explain it to others who are willing to listen, they say I speak too mature for my age (a friend of mine even called it cold, critical, and calculating or someting along those lines xD)
If you are a parent with a teenager, does your teen exhibit common stereotypes? Erm... don't think its possible to have a teen kid when you are a teen :P
When you were a teenager, or if you still are, did/do you exhibit any teenage stereotypes?
I guess some but not all...
● Can't be trusted. - I haven't done anything illegal even with all the possibilities. I haven't done anything stupid even when I do things 'irrationally' or 'without thinking'. And I don't do typical 'troublemaker' behavior. My parents even commented that I can be trusted with things better than my older siblings (and that's an 11 and 7 year age gap).
● Don't like their parents, they don't listen to them, and hate to be seen with them - I actually have a pretty good relationship with my parents. I've done what they've dictated told me to do for the whole 18 years of my life. Its not that I hate being seen with them, its that people get annoyingly plastic and conscious whenever they're around! (Thus making all my arguments invalid because they have 'experience' with my background)
● Only care about their social life(Boyfriends/Girlfriends/Friends) - oh god if this was true, I'd never enter college and instead go around the mall every day. Unfortunately, I'm not that stupid and did actually enroll in school even if it was against my desires, without people I know, surrounded by people who I'm having a bit of a hard time dealing with, but I'm surviving off of my loner side.
● Want the most expensive things - I'm one of the cheapest people I know. I bring my own food, use the family's driver, and don't shop every chance I get. I've hoarded hundreds of dollars worth of cash and don't even know what to spend it on. I'm still even considering if I should buy a fangirl item worth 7 dollars. Plus I have worn pretty much the same clothing since grade school (so long as it still fits and majority actually does) with only gifts and necessary changes being added/removed. I don't even buy things that I do want because I know I don't really need it.
● Ungrateful - oh god don't get me started on this. Let's just say me + college not of my choice + course enforced on me + wanting to go on a break + not getting said break + being denied original college and course of choice = a horrible combination. And that's not yet even adding the other factors such as schoolwork, family life, chores, etc.
● Troublemakers - 18 and never been arrested. Never smoked, drank, did drugs, had sex, nothing. I stay at home almost every day. I'm pretty sure excluding school and family things, I only go out with friends twice (and that is not even a whole day) a month.
● Sex-crazed - no boyfriend/girlfriend/mutual attraction/suitor/whatever since birth. Never had a crush, never been kissed, never been confessed to (legitly anyway... complicated story). Closest thing to a love life I have is otome games and fangirl moments because of oppa (yea I'm a K-pop fan but only a few groups) :/
● Never accept blame/Always blaming parents for everything wrong in their life - I like to think I never did this... I went straight to blaming god after blaming the people who put me in this situation >.> Its only recently (last year) that I started blaming my parents and it was a logical deduction)
● Don't care about school - If I didn't care about school, why do I have grades of a line of 1 and 2 (the highest grade achievable in my country for college is 1.00 with 3.00 as passing and 5.00 as failing) in a school where even just passing is borderline impossible? I only ever failed one subject and that was just because I really didn't get it. (Seriously, half my year failed that subject - who learns law in a semester? Even pol sci students take four years to get it. And the teachers teaching us were lawyers so the questions on the mid-term and final exams - the only basis for our grades = were insanely hard.)
● Immature - if I am I can seriously state that I never really had a legit childhood. The opportunity to experience the real joy of childhood only came to me starting 2nd year high school.
Back after 4 years, relearning the site lol
rosemilly
CreaturesTrade

Post by rosemilly »

What is your opinion on teens?
I'm a teen and I think people don't give us much credit. :t-shrug:

Why do you feel that way?
People always say teens are bad, they do drugs and many other things even though some of us don't. Well I could say the same thing about them. But that doesn't make it true now does it? :sulk:

If you are a parent with a teenager, does your teen exhibit common stereotypes?
I'm not going to have a kid anytime soon!

When you were a teenager, or if you still are, did/do you exhibit any teenage stereotypes?
I experience some stereo types. People call me a nerd just because I have glasses and I am smart. I'm terrible at spelling and I think I might be dyslexic. I personally think I'm a geek.There's a difference. People also thought smart people couldn't play video games, I told them wrong! People used to think I was a loner. I'm just shy and used to get bullied a lot. :srsly:
You can click them in the spoiler. They don't bite!
I currently have 8/25 gifts

Spoiler
ConjoinedWeasels
CreaturesTrade

Post by ConjoinedWeasels »

I think there are stereotypes for all teens, but teenage girls are picked on the most. The media tells girls they are worthless if they don't dress right, have styled hair, lots of makeup, etc., but then calls them 'shallow' when they have all those things.

Don't you just love how the face of 'Generation ME' is a teenage girl?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
MissMurderPaws
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by MissMurderPaws »

I also love how it's says millennials, which I'm going to assume means kids born on/around the 2000 mark. But.... most of us would be underage if that were the case. So OBVIOUSLY we'd still live with our parents.
I try to return clicks! Thank you so much for any clicks!
Live for Dethklok. Die for Dethklok.
Mother of Monsters DiscordMy F2U Base Library
IllusionQueen
CreaturesTrade

Post by IllusionQueen »

...I usually only trust adults. Most teenagers aren't trustworthy in my opinion... except for me :D
"Let me, become your eyes."

Return to “Hall of Speakers”