The Hobbit movie chat thread

Come here, take a break, chat with friends about anything and everything.

Did you read the book or see the lord of the rings moive?

Yes, I read The hobbit
25%
Yes, I read the Lord of the Rings
27%
Yes, I saw the lord of the rings movie
33%
Yes, I saw the animated The Hobbit movie
15%
No. What's a hobbit?
No votes

Total votes: 104

TNHawke
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Re: The Hobbit movie chat thread

Post by TNHawke »

wolfcry wrote:
TOrideleKeto wrote:On a more serious note, I think they will use special effects for Smaug, like they did for the Barlog.
Hopefully. I would start to question Peter Jackson's sanity if they just used a person dressed up in a dragon suit like a team mascot. XD
I think I would too. However, I think what Byakugan01 means is who is being cast for the voice. I would recommend Sean Connery... but he's already Draco in Dragonheart and that would be odd. Hugh Jackman could probably pull Smaug off. OOO OOO! James Earl Jones!
Actually... Draco was a mix of physical model and CG and he came out AMAZING, so I wouldn't be unhappy with that in Hobbit. I just hope that Smaug isn't made to be some stupid looking fat dragon with tiny wings, or wings that don't work right.... or super jet powered flight like Sephira was in Eragon... She flapped her wings like 10 times in the ENTIRE stupid movie! Even when gaining speed and altitude.
Hawke's IRL fiance, Lunaroki, suffered a massive stroke and died on Tuesday, March 31st, 2015.

Hawke needs to concentrate on other things, and is leaving MS permanently.

Thank you all for many fun years.
ImageImageImageImage
BBkat
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by BBkat »

TNHawke wrote:
wolfcry wrote:
TOrideleKeto wrote:On a more serious note, I think they will use special effects for Smaug, like they did for the Barlog.
Hopefully. I would start to question Peter Jackson's sanity if they just used a person dressed up in a dragon suit like a team mascot. XD
I think I would too. However, I think what Byakugan01 means is who is being cast for the voice. I would recommend Sean Connery... but he's already Draco in Dragonheart and that would be odd. Hugh Jackman could probably pull Smaug off. OOO OOO! James Earl Jones!
Actually... Draco was a mix of physical model and CG and he came out AMAZING, so I wouldn't be unhappy with that in Hobbit. I just hope that Smaug isn't made to be some stupid looking fat dragon with tiny wings, or wings that don't work right.... or super jet powered flight like Sephira was in Eragon... She flapped her wings like 10 times in the ENTIRE stupid movie! Even when gaining speed and altitude.
I do not know about his appearance but, I do know the name of the voice actor for Smaug.
Benedict Cumberbatch-he plays Sherlock Holmes in the BBC series Sherlock,(Some of you may have seen it, I haven't) he also provided the narration for the special 'Into the Universe with Steven Hawking' which is the only place I've heard his voice.
He's also going to do the voice of the Necromancer in the second Hobbit movie.
SwanRaven
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by SwanRaven »

Yes, I read The hobbit, Yes, I read the Lord of the Rings, Yes, I saw the lord of the rings movie, Yes, I saw the animated The Hobbit movie I LOVE LOTR ITS AMAZING I CANT WAIT TO SEE IT ... my classmate felt embarased to tell me that she was excited to but then again I am proud of voicing my opinions on things that are this amazing ... I love how she told me "Yes I can see it before the world ends!" shes so funny but the world is not going to end it will live on because of LOTR!
TOrideleKeto
CreaturesTrade

Post by TOrideleKeto »

Yeah. I probably can't do a good Smaug. I can't wait to see how they work Legolas into the story also. Although...in The Hobbit book, the wood elves were really mean. They locked the group up in a prision, and then fought with them for treasure! How rude! What if they make Legolas evil?! :aah: Maybe..I can wait to find out how they work him into the story.
It's an honor to die brave and bold...
--Alexa Wilkonson, singing 1974
Byakugan01
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Byakugan01 »

TNHawke wrote:
wolfcry wrote:
The Eragon movie adaptation was just plain bad, period. And yes, I did mean who was being cast as the voice. Considering that I have yet to see any depiction of Smaug as a stupid fat dragon, I doubt that's the kind of Smaug we will get. I seem to recall reading a while back that one of the FIRST things they did was to start designing Smaug. Most of the depictions of Smaug I have seen drawn are of the menacing dragon his hoard sort, with a lizard or crocodile like head, plenty of teeth, and massive wings. Considering his boast about his teeth being like spears, his scales armor, and his wings a hurricane, I think we can expect something rather impressive, should that line be kept.
Image If you like Insects, arachnids or other invertebrates or just want to learn about them, join us!

Image <-Kearia guards my keep.
BBkat
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by BBkat »

TOrideleKeto wrote:Yeah. I probably can't do a good Smaug. I can't wait to see how they work Legolas into the story also. Although...in The Hobbit book, the wood elves were really mean. They locked the group up in a prision, and then fought with them for treasure! How rude! What if they make Legolas evil?! :aah: Maybe..I can wait to find out how they work him into the story.
It wasn't that they were evil it's just elves and dwarves have never really gotten along and the elves thought the dwarves had been trying to attack them and wouldn't explain themselves as to why there in the forest. It was more distrust than anything.
If you read Lord of the Rings it actually gets mentioned at the council, one of the original dwarves accompanied Gimli to the council and made a mention to Legolas that 'he hadn't been very kind the last time they'd met' (something along those lines in reference to the encounter in Mirkwood forest and who the elves had treated them).
Spoiler
I wonder if they'll actually get the body count of the dwarves-from the Battle of 5 armies- right though, in the animated they said there was only 6 of the original 13 left when in fact only three members of the died; Fili, Kili and Thorin.
wolfcry
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by wolfcry »

BBkat wrote:
TOrideleKeto wrote:Yeah. I probably can't do a good Smaug. I can't wait to see how they work Legolas into the story also. Although...in The Hobbit book, the wood elves were really mean. They locked the group up in a prision, and then fought with them for treasure! How rude! What if they make Legolas evil?! :aah: Maybe..I can wait to find out how they work him into the story.
It wasn't that they were evil it's just elves and dwarves have never really gotten along and the elves thought the dwarves had been trying to attack them and wouldn't explain themselves as to why there in the forest. It was more distrust than anything.
If you read Lord of the Rings it actually gets mentioned at the council, one of the original dwarves accompanied Gimli to the council and made a mention to Legolas that 'he hadn't been very kind the last time they'd met' (something along those lines in reference to the encounter in Mirkwood forest and who the elves had treated them).
Yes, they were just suspicious of strangers. Tolkien says so himself:

"These are not wicked folk. If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers... They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise."

I don't think Legolas would appreciate the "less wise" part of that description. :P

I wonder if Legolas will actually say anything to the Dwarves. It's possible, I guess, since his father is the king, so as prince he'd probably be there when the king talks to them. It's interesting to think about, especially since Gloin is Gimli's father.

I believe it was Gloin who went with Gimli to the Council in Rivendell, BBkat.
White are the far-off plains, and white
The fading forests grow;
The wind dies out along the height,
And denser still the snow,
A gathering weight on roof and tree,
Falls down scare audibly.

~ Archibald Lampman, Snow

I will be on hiatus until Easter
BBkat
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by BBkat »

wolfcry wrote:
BBkat wrote:
Yes, they were just suspicious of strangers. Tolkien says so himself:

"These are not wicked folk. If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers... They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise."

I don't think Legolas would appreciate the "less wise" part of that description. :P

I wonder if Legolas will actually say anything to the Dwarves. It's possible, I guess, since his father is the king, so as prince he'd probably be there when the king talks to them. It's interesting to think about, especially since Gloin is Gimli's father.

I believe it was Gloin who went with Gimli to the Council in Rivendell, BBkat.
That sounds about right.
And I found the line I was thinking of, it was during the council of Elrond, from Gloin to Legolas-

'You were less tender to me,' said Gloin with a flash of his eyes as
old memories were stirred of his imprisonment in the deep places of the
Elven-king's halls.

They obviously did meet him, or at least saw him, while in Mirkwood, even if it wasn't mentioned in the book.
TNHawke
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by TNHawke »

BBkat wrote:I do not know about his appearance but, I do know the name of the voice actor for Smaug.
Benedict Cumberbatch-he plays Sherlock Holmes in the BBC series Sherlock,(Some of you may have seen it, I haven't) he also provided the narration for the special 'Into the Universe with Steven Hawking' which is the only place I've heard his voice.
It would be awkward though, if the same voice was Smaug and a Necromancer. Unless he's normally a voice actor and can change his voice to suit the two characters.

The actor I MOST would have wanted to be Smaug, sadly passed away a few years ago. Tony Jay. He was the voice of Megabyte in the CG cartoon ReBoot, as well as several bad guys in Disney Movies, including Frollo from Hunchback, and the asylum dude in Beauty and the Beast. If anyone ever listened to it (I loved it) he was one of the main villains in the radio program Adventures in Odyssey, and lots and lots and lots of other roles.
Hawke's IRL fiance, Lunaroki, suffered a massive stroke and died on Tuesday, March 31st, 2015.

Hawke needs to concentrate on other things, and is leaving MS permanently.

Thank you all for many fun years.
ImageImageImageImage
BBkat
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by BBkat »

TNHawke wrote:
BBkat wrote:I do not know about his appearance but, I do know the name of the voice actor for Smaug.
It would be awkward though, if the same voice was Smaug and a Necromancer. Unless he's normally a voice actor and can change his voice to suit the two characters.

The actor I MOST would have wanted to be Smaug, sadly passed away a few years ago. Tony Jay. He was the voice of Megabyte in the CG cartoon ReBoot, as well as several bad guys in Disney Movies, including Frollo from Hunchback, and the asylum dude in Beauty and the Beast. If anyone ever listened to it (I loved it) he was one of the main villains in the radio program Adventures in Odyssey, and lots and lots and lots of other roles.
He probably is, especially since Smaug needs a very deep voice.
I mean, look at Andey Serkis. He plays Gollum, but if you heard his voice normally (such as when he played Capricorn in Inkheart) you wouldn't know it was the same guy. Or Hugh Laurie when doing Dr. House and Dr. Cockroach(from Monsters vs. Aliens) same guy, sounds way different.
If they're a good enough actor I'm sure they can change their voice to fit the character.

Return to “Popsicle stand”