Creatures 239-242

Discuss MagiStream and site-related topics.
Jrap17
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Creatures 239-242

Post by Jrap17 »

The Pumpkin wyrms were #238, so unless I missed something.
Tristan wrote:Honeycombs and chocolates should be frozen, nothing else should have automatically frozen. If something did, let me know, though it should all be taken care of.
Tristan wrote:Ooooh, the part of the description I was referring to isn't visible until they hatch. Who knew...
Well, here's a sneak peek from the chocolate xocomel's description: "The hatchlings are at first nothing more than chocolate, but everyone knows to leave the candy alone until midnight on Halloween, when they will come to life."
Xenomorph wrote:For those still asking who the artist is, Glasswalker made these. :3
White and Golden Aculeus
Spoiler
ImageImage
This tiny honeycomb may look edible, but there seems to be something inside of it...

ImageImage
A honeycomb that contains an unborn aculeus must be placed inside one of the many hives on the last day of October, to be cared for by other aculeusi. It is then that these insects come to life; before this night, they are nothing more than candy. Once in a hive, these hatchlings require no attention from their magi, as their hive will care for their every need. A magi may not see their aculeus companion again until it is an adult, by which time the insect will be very busy. Aculeusi are almost constantly at work, with the exception of the hatchlings. When they first hatch, these little insects are called larvae, and spend all their time sleeping and growing. They will not have wings for a few more weeks, and during this time are cared for by the adult aculeusi. Once these hatchlings are old enough, they begin caring for eggs, and start collecting pollen. Unlike normal wild aculeusi, these hatchlings will grow roughly to the size of a finger, and only a foolish creature would attempt to attack them. Even a young aculeus can sting.

ImageImage
Aculeusi are industrious little insects, as soon as they are born to the day that they die. Once one of these insects has grown into adulthood, its task is mainly to find pollen. When pollen has been located, the insect then communicates the information through an elaborate dance. While The Keep's aculeusi caretakers know these signs well, and know how to care for these companions, the rest of the castle is generally pretty clueless. Those interested can learn easily enough, as the aculeusi caretakers are more than happy to teach those who wish to know. It is also interesting that even once full grown, no female aculeus will bear young. The only female in the hive that reproduces is the queen. The queen is hidden away from sight, and is no human's companion. Even the aculeus caretakers may never see the queen. It is important to realize that while a aculeus may be a companion, its first priority is its hive. Though adult aculeus rarely spend time with their magi, they are well loved and respected throughout the castle. The magi take care of these interesting insects very carefully, and make sure that they survive the colder seasons well. A aculeus, if it does not encounter any dangers, will live up to five years, much longer than wild aculeusi. These companions are also three times the size of regular aculeusi, making them easy to spot. Male aculeusi are colored in brilliant orange and black stripes, warning all other creatures to stay away. The females are very pale, and make an enchanting sight.

Aculeusi are renowned for the sweet golden honey they produce. Unlike that of other aculeusi, this honey is imbued with healing properities, and those who consume it heal faster and rarely become ill. One of the castle's many aculeusi caretakers likes to tell a tale of an ancient queen who used to eat this honey with every meal, and even bath in it. The woman was terrified of growing old, and tried desperately to remain young. She used vast quantities of the honey in a veign attempt to become immortal. Although the beautiful woman commanded many warlocks to create a potion for her to escape death, she could not halt the march of time. No death defying potion has ever been brewed, but this honey does help heal broken bones, and cure many illnesses. Naturally, this makes it rather valuable and expensive. The Keep often sells it to far away customers, and uses the money to pay for what food is needed from nearby villages. Wax is also collected from the hives, as the aculeusi produce superior wax that weatherproofs wood and lasts for many years. The aculeusi seem not to mind any of this; indeed, they are very content with their lives in The Keep. There are quite a few magi who find these companions fascinating, and it is these scholars who care for them. Though a magi can have only one of these insects as their companion, aculeusi live in groups, and become despondent without the company of others. There can be anywhere from ten to fifty thousand aculeusi living in a single hive, centered around their queen. These aculeusi leave every day to collect the pollen from hundreds of flowers, then return to the hive. The most affection their human companions will ever experience is when their aculeus buzzes around their head for a while, before resuming its work.
Chocolate and Caramel Xocomel
Spoiler
ImageImage
This xocomel wiggles now and again, as if it is coming to life.

ImageImage
Xocomel hatchlings are strange creatures. You can buy a few from the store, but Remy insists he did not make them, nor does he know who does. Apparently they mysteriously appear sometime in the night. The hatchlings are at first nothing more than chocolate, but everyone knows to leave the candy alone until midnight on Halloween, when they will come to life. Soon the amphibians are alive, and it is not long before they are sprinting about. These xocomels are as swift as they are small, and can be found all over the castle, in odd nooks and crannies. Catching one can be quite difficult, and the hatchlings are usually too fast to grab. Young xocomels love to climb, and you can never tell where one will be. Like most of the other hatchlings, they play games with one another, the most common being tag. Even if you don't like to eat chocolate, xocomel hatchlings are quite fun to watch.

ImageImage
Xocomels grow up extraordinarily fast, probably because they are in constant danger of being eaten. When fully grown, these strange creatures are roughly the length of one's palm. They give birth to only one other xocomel, and before long, these wonderfully strange creatures are gone for the year. Most people around the castle enjoy sweets and candy, and so the arrival of the xocomels is a welcome one. They come in two varities, and are easy to tell apart from each other. The xocomels that are all chocolate have paler colors, and their spots are red. The other xocomels taste of caramel, have golden heads and tails, and the spots along their sides are the same color. Both types blend in quite easily with their surroundings, making them even harder to find. It is fortunate, or perhaps planned, that these creatures show no interest in leaving The Keep, because gryphons are very allergic to chocolate. As it is, the dogs show some interest in eating the xocomels. Whenever a chocolate or caramel xocomel is being chased by an animal, the xocomel somehow manages to become even faster, evading capture. Naturally, xocomels need to eat rather a lot to maintain the energy necessary for their running around all the time. These creatures desire nothing more than sneaking into the kitchens and feasting on whatever treats they can find; sugar, cinnamon, and particularly caramel. Despite their lives being so short, they are some of the most cheerful creatures at The Keep, and they always seem to be grinning.

There are many wild newts and salamanders around The Keep, living in damp, muddy spots near rivers. They are as normal as could be, busy hunting for bugs, covered in shiny scales. The newts that live in the castle, however, are quite different, and are not even called newts because of these differences. Xocomels appear only once a year, and remain for a short time before disappearing. The talk around the castle is that some magi must have conjured them up, hoping to spread the spirit of Halloween. Whoever this person is, no one knows, but the xocomels are welcome entertainment. Xocomels are certainly not creatures that appear in nature, as they are actually edible and will melt if they remain too long in the sun. If captured, they turn at once into lifeless chocolate, and remain motionless in one's hand. Some enjoy eating them, as they are not truly alive when they are first purchased. It is common practice for friends to exchange these creatures. People from as far away as Synara city arrive to sample them, though if the xocomels are removed from the castle they lose the magic that keeps them alive, and they turn back into beautiful chocolates. If one wishes to see a xocomel, they had better be quick enough to catch one, or buy one before Remy is sold out.
Last edited by Jrap17 on November 3rd, 2011, 9:48:29 pm, edited 12 times in total.

ImageImage Image
Feathersun
Member of Society of the Trident
CreaturesTrade

Re: Creatures 289-242?

Post by Feathersun »

Did they just come out?! >omg<

If you see me on here, smack me and tell me to go write something

- Looking to take in ANY Osaths -
- Paying aprox 500g per birdy -
- I will take frozen, lineaged, named, adult, hatchling, 1,000,000 gen, or anything -
- I will gladly help hatch as well! Just send me the codes -

- ImageImageImageImage -
Madd
Queen of Mean
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade

Post by Madd »

Jeez, you guys should learn to count.
I don't work here anymore but I do still have this egg

Padfootsmistress777
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Padfootsmistress777 »

Remy's Inn :haha: *goes to lock my own thread*
13/25 Presents, thank you!
You can click any unhidden/unprotected tab in my Keep ^-^~!

1,756/2000 Turtles

Paaaaaaancaaaaaakes!~
Art Creds in Profile

ImageImageImageImage
Jrap17
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by Jrap17 »

Tristan wrote:Jeez, you guys should learn to count.
I can count...

1...2...3...5...10! :evil: :yarly:

ImageImage Image
Feathersun
CreaturesTrade

Post by Feathersun »

Tristan wrote:Jeez, you guys should learn to count.
XD I know how to count!!! I think...it goes 13524...right?! Or is it 12345?

If you see me on here, smack me and tell me to go write something

- Looking to take in ANY Osaths -
- Paying aprox 500g per birdy -
- I will take frozen, lineaged, named, adult, hatchling, 1,000,000 gen, or anything -
- I will gladly help hatch as well! Just send me the codes -

- ImageImageImageImage -
BluMajica
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by BluMajica »

239-242 perhaps lol

sounds fun - Ooh shop critters!!
Last edited by BluMajica on October 26th, 2011, 11:59:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beetle by Cassowary

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ― Harlan Ellison

I was Mordeth - I am now not. I'm gone again - find me on VOU if it's urgent under Mordeth
Jeccakat
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Jeccakat »

Stuff in the shop. *Points*

Edit: Stop posting so fast. XD
Tristan wrote:Jeez, you guys should learn to count good.
Being frantic to post the new topic first makes it hard to count. :P

LTB Frozen Doni Eggs ----- LTS Random Stuff ----- 7/25 Gifts <3
~ ~ ~ ~ ~Hatchling only, please~ ~ ~ ~ ~

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Flower by Salt
cusith
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade

Post by cusith »

Curses! I'm egglocked!
Growley watches over the HatchlingsImage Please DO NOT Mine my Keep. Thank You.
ImageImageImageImage
Looking for a 1x1
BluMajica
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by BluMajica »

%$^&%*^ just brought one and it's FROZEN?! ugh... 1k wasted
Beetle by Cassowary

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ― Harlan Ellison

I was Mordeth - I am now not. I'm gone again - find me on VOU if it's urgent under Mordeth

Return to “Community Discussion”