Tsunami in Japan, 3/11/11

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

TxCat
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Re: Tsunami in Japan, 3/11/11

Post by TxCat »

Lone wrote:I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I saw on the news that the earthquake was so powerful it made the Earth's Axis tilt 6 1/2 more inches, and that Japan moved over 8 more feet. It's kind of crazy how powerful it was. Lets just hope that Japan will get through this, and everything will be okay.
One of the previous informational article links covers it. The actual shift in the axis shortened the days by a mere 1.8 millionths of a second. These types of gradual shifts in the axis are apparently rather common and of no real concern. We're not even likely to notice, except for a scientific basis.

The shifting of the coastline is likely do to a combination of factors which includes but is not limited to tectonic action. The tsunami also had quite a bit to do with it.

Let's keep things factual, read through the previous posts and information, and not panic.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. Harlan Ellison

DC: ImageImageImageImageImageImage Nyoka: ImageImageImage Flowergame: ImageImage
DoomedDaphnia
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Re: Tsunami in Japan, 3/11/11

Post by DoomedDaphnia »

GrowlingCupcake wrote:
FrozenFire wrote:
Cocoa wrote:Japan has been hit with earthquakes before, just this one is a lot more powerful than any others experienced in the past century. I believe this earthquake was a lesson of some sort. Most disasters that happen seem to have lessons. Maybe the lesson is to build more stable nuclear power-plants? I'm not sure.
I don't think that any nuclear power plant would have been able to withstand a 9.0 magnitude earthquake. Then again, I'm almost certain that people will use this as grounds to not build nuclear plants even though they're normally safe if maintained properly and are good for powering areas with high populations.
My understanding of it is that the earthquake didn't harm the power plants; it was the tsunami.

I've been seeing a lot of news on how Japan was wrong to build nuclear power plants. It bugs me a lot since it was a move to clean/green energy, something which I think more countries need to be involved in.

Are the people manning the plants giving their lives to save everyone else?

Also, I don't know if this has been mentioned but I cannot believe how orderly and neatly things are going... other countries would probably have riots and looting by now but I have heard nothing of the sorts from Japan. It's amazing how well they are withstanding these disasters.
Ah, my mistake :sweat: Must have misread something.

I don't know if your question is rhetorical or not, but I recently read that all of the plant has been evacuated save for a skeleton crew. The job is pretty much considered suicidal at this point, so yes, they probably are giving their lives to prevent a meltdown.

Return to “Hall of Speakers”