Does Music Influence People?

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

Caseycatjasper
CreaturesTrade

Re: Music

Post by Caseycatjasper »

If a little kid listens to star wars music, will he grow up to be a jedi? :t-ninja:

No, really though. My favorite band is owl city. Adam has the best music the world will ever know, because he isn't afraid that it is different. It doesn't fit into any category (except for possibly synthesized.) I like to think I'm the same way. So does music influence people? I have no idea. I think people listen to music because it fits their lifestyle, not the other way around.
I've been gone for a while. What happened while I wasn't around?
Spoiler
ImageImageImageImage
Always collecting Nareaun Quetzalcoatls! PM me!
GoldenPhoenix
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by GoldenPhoenix »

Ah, music, another forte in my life.
I have always been a music person, and to me I prefer the instrumental side of music, not the modern music you hear on the radio today, except a select few.
My choice in music doesn't affect who I am, I just tend to find more emotional connection in instrumental music. For example Doug listens to everything I don't, except rap. Yet that doesn't influence me, and doesn't influence him. I listen to instrumentals but I'm not a hardcore band person, Doug listens to Rock, Country, Heavy Metal, and Star Wars, and he isn't a die-hard nerd. Lol
As music for a influence of society... possibly, but only for those too stupid to realize that the music is a expression of emotion, not suggestion to do anything.

That is all music is, an expression of emotion and to tell a story. I don't see a connection between society and the music we listen to today.
Spoiler

Code: Select all

[/spoiler][/center]
Silvereye
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade
Location: The Riddermark. For those who are not of the Rohirrim, that's Rohan. *rides away*

Post by Silvereye »

I may hate rock music, unless it's old 70's and 60's, but many of my friends listen to it. I may disagree with their choice of preferred entertainment, but they are good people. No, just because a music may sound bad or whatever, ti doesn't necessarily change the people who listen to it.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Maplestream
CreaturesTrade

Post by Maplestream »

I don't think that music influences people because the music was something that we chose in the first place. Most people are going to listen to a song and not let it be the way that they think. We can interprete music any way we want and it is true that some people are going to think that it's ok to do bad things because they do them in songs but the music isn't at fault for that, it's how people figure out the music.

Music also helps to get people not to do bad things, if that makes sense. Because depending on what your mood is your going to listen to different types of music and that helps you channel your mood. I know that if I'm feeling angry I will listen to loud, angry songs but that doesn't mean I'm going to do what the song says. Saying the music influenced you to do something is a terrible excuse. It's not the music's fault!
I want to settle down but I need to be free ImageImageImageImageImage I might be afraid to fall but I've still got a dream
Silvereye
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade
Location: The Riddermark. For those who are not of the Rohirrim, that's Rohan. *rides away*

Post by Silvereye »

Sorry, it was really late last night.

Look, I'm a Celtic-ancestry person. Both sides of my family are Celtic. I listen to Celtic music, modern and old. I love it. I like instrumental because I play flute, and instruments are just like singing. I like to sing more though. So learning lyrics by heart, I love it. Does that influence me? Well, my music has made me self-aware, and has made me realize that quiet is just as good as loud. But music is the ultimate form of expression. Far as I'm concerned, you listen to music that matches you, and not music that doesn't.
ImageImageImageImageImage
crzyanimemom
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by crzyanimemom »

I don't think music can make someone into something. I was born in the hippie days and I'm not a druggie even though I listened to music that was written by someone who was on drugs. In fact I have never use any drug that wasn't given to me by my doctor. Now I'm 50 years old and I listen to music my kids play. Have any of you heard of Avenge Seven Fold? The lyrics of some of their songs is pretty graphic. (A Piece of Heaven) is a perfect example. But I don't think society is going to do the things they sing about in the song. Fact is I like the song and many others by them.
I have creatures for sale. They are in tabs that say creatures for 500g. 1000g, 1500g, and 2000g. pm me if interested.

14/25 gifts.

https://pfq.link/@Jbfn Please click!
Tortuga
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Tortuga »

I listen to metal, these metal guys in real life are silly fun loving goofs...especially the guy on the right of my banner...he is goofy ...but in general METAL is an angry sounding type of music, the more into it you get, the harder the sound (progressive isn't as heavy as death metal)....

the person listening doesnt mean they're angry and wants to kill someone or some crap...it's just music.
*imagine cool siggy here*
nightclaw
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by nightclaw »

I think that music does influence your mood, based on previous experience.

For example, most of the music I listen to has very violent lyrics, and I start thinking that way, too. But just because you think about something doesn`t mean you suddenly become a mass murderer or something.
Dracolord
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade
Location: Up high in the Dracosphere, which is a little past the stratosphere.

Post by Dracolord »

This link shows many ways in which music is beneficial to humans. Like, using music to fix brain damage, or help people end a drug addiction are a couple ways described. Honestly, I listen to nearly every type of metal, old rock, and some rap, and I get awesome grades, am two math levels ahead, read tons of books, and don't do things that would get me in trouble.

Image ImageDraco says
Bluh bluh screw signatures
Image[/center]
daringprettykitty
CreaturesTrade

Post by daringprettykitty »

MOD Note: Please re-read the requirements for posting in the HoS. Casual one line comments are not allowed as this is a place for deep and serious discussion. If you're going to post casual comments, please do so in the Popsicle Stand. Otherwise, you need to answer in a thread in a manner which indicates you gave some thought to the discussion. Feel free to expand upon your views.

:t-pirate: your right it is the people are not the music

Return to “Hall of Speakers”