The Anime Guild!

The place to converse with other members of a guild or club.

Top two favorite decades of anime?

Pre-70's (examples are, uh, Astro Boy I guess?)
No votes
70's (examples: Original gundam, Kimba)
3%
80's (examples: Macross,Votoms)
1%
90's (examples: Pokemon, DBZ, Sailor Moon...we all know this decade)
36%
2000's (examples: FMA, Gurenn Lagaan)
24%
Shows from the past five years (Attack on Titan, Madoka)
36%

Total votes: 89

Iliad
Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Re: The Anime Guild!

Post by Iliad »

Raneth wrote:So the Winter season has just begun in Japan. Nothing looks too interesting to me, at least--the big interesting ones are mystery shows, and I'm not hugely into mystery.
Aw, but Boku Dake ga Inai Machi is so good! D:
I can't vouch for it because I only watched like the first episode of Arslan (before deciding I couldn't wait for the rest and binge-reading the manga) but if nothing else, it's nice eye candy.
TUMBLR / TWITTER
I am the tactician.
Keep Alm's codpiece away 2k17.
Raneth
Hello World
CreaturesTrade

Post by Raneth »

Actually, discussion about the Legend of Arslan is a good jumping off point for how art styles have changed in the past few decades.

The original Legend of Arslan OVA (based off the original novels) is SUPER eye candy. The art style is very unique, very detailed, and the characters look original.

The new Arslan series looks like reskinned FMA characters, because the same artist designed the characters and she apparently can only draw a few faces. Harsh, I know, but that sort of thing bugs me.

Examples:

Original Arslan art (1992):
Spoiler
New Arslan art:
Spoiler
For reference, Ed and Kimbley:
Spoiler
They're the same face.
Spoiler
In all seriousness, I'm sure the show is pretty good, but I really miss the OVA designs and the detail that went into them. I feel like a lot of characters these days have this "marshmallow" look with less-defined facial structures and fewer details that make it very easy for characters to look too similar to each other.
ImageImageImage

Pretty ponies...
SwnyTddObsd
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by SwnyTddObsd »

I feel like when I read something drawn by the same mangaka that has drawn something else that I've read, the style carrying over makes it seem like seeing the same faces again. :orly: Thinking about that new oneshot from the artist of Kuroko no Basuke in particular right now, at least.

I know you meant what you said not entirely seriously, but I remember thinking the same thing initially when I started reading Silver Spoon, which is also by Arakawa Hiromu. :9 But she definitely managed to sell me on the story in Silver Spoon, and I began to understand the series as a standalone. :lol: I think that in turn helped me recognize that she chose different facial and eye shapes to convey their personalities different ways (Arslan has such huge puppy-dog eyes...), but I am definitely already sad to see that the rich palette of skin tones and the wardrobes in that color spread for the OVA are gone. :<

The original looks seriously gorgeous. All this rambling, and I just wanted to ask if you had a site you watched it on...? > v>;; Or for that matter, a translation of the original legend or Japanese novel? Is there a resource that compiles some popular translated novels?

I started reading Boku Dake ga Inai Machi, but I saw a spoiler for Chapter 5 or 6 on Wikipedia when I went to look at the author and how many episodes it's getting...!! I'm so bad with tension, oh man. D:
I am also bad at numbers. That was the chapter number of Arslan that I was on, :U
EDIT: HHHHHHHH THATWASREALLYGOOD
ITHINKINEEDAMEDIC

trading art for creatures
+
have exams 12/2!
gonna be a bit on and off, sorry ; v;

[no creatures rn]
Spoiler

Code: Select all

[url=http://magistream.com/creature/9920633][img]http://magistream.com/img/9920633.gif[/img][/url][url=http://magistream.com/creature/9920636][img]http://magistream.com/img/9920636.gif[/img][/url][url=http://magistream.com/creature/9920634][img]http://magistream.com/img/9920634.gif[/img][/url][url=http://magistream.com/creature/9920635][img]http://magistream.com/img/9920635.gif[/img][/url]
signature image by
Angry Moth Noises[/size][/center]
Niverdia
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by Niverdia »

I'm definitely watching Boku Dake ga Inai Machi when it finishes - it seems like the exact kind of feelsy anime that I like, yes sir.

Meanwhile, I started watching Monster after putting it off for years, and so far (I'm 7 episodes in) I really like it. Glad about it, because I was afraid that this was going to be another famous, very highly acclaimed anime that I might not like at all.
Danafox
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Danafox »

Niverdia wrote:I'm definitely watching Boku Dake ga Inai Machi when it finishes - it seems like the exact kind of feelsy anime that I like, yes sir.

Meanwhile, I started watching Monster after putting it off for years, and so far (I'm 7 episodes in) I really like it. Glad about it, because I was afraid that this was going to be another famous, very highly acclaimed anime that I might not like at all.
Ahhh yeah that Monster one is a good one, glad you are enjoying it. ^.^

I've been watching some new ones.....:

Gate -fantasy/sci-fi/drama/political/
Erased -drama/mystery/thriller (sorta)
Your Lie in April - romance/drama
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Dana's Sales Bin
LTT Donis for Below1Percent

Thank you to all my gifters! <3
BBkat
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by BBkat »

Anyone else hard of Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE!?

I've only seen the first episode, because it was part of a pre-show in a stream I was hanging out in but it was hilarious. It's basically a magical boy anime, complete with ridiculous transformation scenes and all(with goofy frilly outfits to boot).
It's not long either, I think it only has about 13-14 episodes(though apparently it's getting a second season.
fawnfur13
Member of The Dark Brotherhood An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by fawnfur13 »

BBkat wrote:Anyone else hard of Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE!?

I've only seen the first episode, because it was part of a pre-show in a stream I was hanging out in but it was hilarious. It's basically a magical boy anime, complete with ridiculous transformation scenes and all(with goofy frilly outfits to boot).
It's not long either, I think it only has about 13-14 episodes(though apparently it's getting a second season.
I've heard of that one, haven't watched it yet but I should, looks really funny X3

Meanwhile I've been watching Erased, Prince of Stride, Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans, World Trigger and recently started Sankarea *3*

Possible spoilers?
Spoiler
I've concluded the both Earased and Sankarea's alternate titles should be 'These girls need lots of hugs and to be as far away from their parents as possible'
And apparently I haven't actually joined this guild so pardon me while I just...

I want to join the anime guild!
Favorite anime? Acchi Kocchi and, if movies count, Wolf Children
Least favorite anime? I don't think I really have one.
How did you get into anime? Huh, not too sure, I first started watching it when I was little, before I knew what 'anime' was, but I'm not sure how I got back into it *3*
What anime are you really enjoying currently? Erased is taking me on a feels trip I did not sign up for.
Raneth
Hello World
CreaturesTrade

Post by Raneth »

For those of you watching Gate, is it good? I watched the first episode and it seemed cool, but I've heard there's a large harem-ish aspect to it, which I usually don't like.
ImageImageImage

Pretty ponies...
Iliad
Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Iliad »

It's certainly very otaku-oriented, but I've only watched the first few episodes so I have seen nothing but an inkling of harem so far?
TUMBLR / TWITTER
I am the tactician.
Keep Alm's codpiece away 2k17.
BBkat
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by BBkat »

So uh, I can now claim to have watched all of the Yu-Gi-Oh! series(the original and the 4 spinoffs) as of last week because I finally finished 5Ds. :lol:

The spinoffs are not half bad actually and you can watch any of them without first needing to watch any of the others-though if you watch GX/5Ds/ZeXal you'll get some of the subtle references made to them in Arc V. But it's not required.

It is advisable that you watch the subs though, the dubs, really don't do them justice at all. And in the case of GX and 5Ds, you miss a lot-GX stopped dubbing at the penultimate episode of the 3rd season,meaning the season finale for s3 and all of s4 went undubbed. And 5Ds cut out an 11 episode chunk in the middle of season 2 and the last like, 20+ episodes of season 2.
Not to mention the utter hack job done to the stories(like changing 'death' with 'kidnapped' or 'disappeared' even when it makes literally no sense to do so(it's 4Kids though, so, yeah) and altering or removing significant plot things. :derp:

Arc V is on going though, with new episodes every Sunday(with subs usually going up by Wednesday/Thursday).
I mean, putting aside the whole, card game aspect for a moment, the plot lines are actually kinda fun.

GX- Following the adventures of the 14/15 year old protagonist Judai Yuki through what's essentially 3 years of boarding school(each season covers roughly one school year, with seasons 3 and 4 being one year), including the awakening of ancient evil(as in evil from the beginning of creation simply known as the Light of Destruction), transfer students and his past coming back to haunt him in a horrible way. And the tone takes a serious dip into dark by season 3(arguably one of the darker series because of this). Also includes an interesting twist on light and dark and which is good and which is evil.

5Ds- Ancient gods of good and evil have revived themselves and 18 year old Yusei Fudo finds himself one of 5(later 6) individuals marked as the reincarnation of Signers, warriors from the past able to summon the Crimson Dragon(hence 5Ds, 5 Dragons), a being sealed away within the marks. On top of dealing with that is the whole stigma of the fact that he's from Satellite, essentially the slums of the city, and bearing a criminal marker, both things that are looked down upon by the 'Tops' of the city.
The second season delves into a group of individuals from the future who seem intent on destroying Neo Domino City and Team 5Ds' efforts to stop this. Can't say much else without spoiling the second season.
This one, GX and Duel Monsters all canonically exist within the same universe/timeline, falling on after another).

ZeXal- 13 year old Yuma Tsukumo befriends the amnesiac other worldly spirit Astral, that only he can see, and helps him to try and recover his scattered memories, which are in the form of Numbers cards, so he can remember his mission. At the same time, forces both of the human world(season 1) and the Barian world(season 2) seek these numbers too. Some for the power, others so they can destroy that world/dimension and the Astral world.

Arc V(currently on going, at episode 96 as of this post)- 14 year old Yuya Sakaki just wants to follow in the footsteps of his missing father and make people smile with his Entertainment dueling. Unfortunately, there's an inter-dimensional war heading their way and a mystery surrounding both his Pendulum Summoning and his counter parts(as well as the counter parts for his childhood friend Yuzu) in the other 3 dimensions, who all look a lot like him, to deal with first. Massive tonal shift around episode 33 when it gets dark fast.
There are revealed to be 4 dimensions, 3 of which are basically au versions of the worlds of the previous three series(and named after the primary summoning methods introduced/used in each); Fusion(DM/GX), Synchro(5Ds) and Xyz(Zexal). Standard is the 4th and where Yuya is from, it uses all kinds of summoning.
Each season seems like it will be touching on and travelling to each dimension, starting in Standard to set everything up, then Synchro(where we are now and just wrapping up), next up is Xyz(we know this from spoilers/leaks) and presumably Fusion last.

Return to “Guilds Quarter”