How Was Your Day Thread V5

Discuss MagiStream and site-related topics.
Danafox
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Re: How Was Your Day Thread V5

Post by Danafox »

jessk wrote:
Danafox wrote:Had a really good birthday yesterday, lots of friends IRL blew up my phone, they made me laugh and we hadn't talked for a while so it was nice hearing from all of them. Had a good day with hubby and he gave me presents and took me out to dinner just the two of us, and hopefully later this weekend, we will get together with family and have a small get together.

Only thing I messed up on was I was a goof and forgot to go online to get some stuff with my bday on them but that's okay I'm old now so it was bound to happen at some point right? =P

All in all, was a great birthday :)
Belated happy birthday to you!! :woo:

I am a sucker for birthday deals - I used to know exactly where to get free meals and treats and discounts back when I went out in the real world. Not sure I am well versed in online freebies..!
Thanks so much and yeah I know what u mean, I'd go to the movies and get free popcorn and soda or even movie tickets, and get discounts or deals somewhere. It was nice. Hopefully going to get together with the family this weekend.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Dana's Sales Bin
LTT Donis for Below1Percent

Thank you to all my gifters! <3
AssassinsCreed
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by AssassinsCreed »

*watching at Melodifestivalen*

F*** DOTTER AND GO TUSSE! Come one you can win!
Or Arvingarna.If they keep the song-lyrics in Swedish..some people may hear interesting song... :lol:

TUSSE WON :woo: :woo: :woo:

EDIT: What do you get when you mix Cyberpunk 2077 and Swedish old entry "I can`t go on" (the clothing only)?
This thing:
Spoiler
It`s actually not THAT bad. Sounds like hundreds of autotunes were used but meh, nice to see something that isn`t a slow ballad song for once.
VilaWolf
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade
Location: Library of Daninsky's Castle. 50% of my posts are sarcastic.

Post by VilaWolf »

A Facebook friend asked me how Covid would be looked at in the lens of Folklore.

Short but not pleasant.
Spoiler
Vampires, my friend. Vampires.

Just look at the earliest accounts of tuberculosis in North America, or cholera in Ancient Europe and the Mediterranean, and there's your playbook of how this will go.

The town blames the outbreak on the most recent death before the outbreak and go dig them up, mutilate the body and roast the heart, then scatters the remains. If your entire family has died you dig up the first person who died of the illness (in your own family) and you eat the heart to save your own life. Add panicked neighbors screaming at you to stop this before it kills them.

We've got names like Mercy Brown, Petre Toma, Jon Barber and Arnold Paole‏‎ and a great many others. In North America alone there have been just over 200 cases of "vampires". The last known case in North America was outside of Chicago in the 1930s, when a man was arrested for having dug up and eaten the heart of his own daughter. Toma, in Europe, scared the crap out of folklorists because he was dug up and mutilated and called a vampire in gawddamn 2004.

Edit for Clarity: Jon Barber is not the Chicago vampire. I don't remember that guy's name off the top of my head. Barber is better known as JB55 loosely connected to the "the Ray Family Vampires" in the 1850s.

Dark Guild Will Trade For Water / Herb Guild Pets.
Egglocked? PM your codes, I'll Help. Free.
When Pigs Fly, Carry an Umbrella.
My Wish List
Last year all the Decessus were named after Haunted Chateaus. This year; Lost Media.
Solbrekt
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade

Post by Solbrekt »

the impression i'm getting from this is that a lot of plagues probably went on longer than they should have because some people thought that the best way to avoid illness was to put it in their mouths
VilaWolf
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade
Location: Library of Daninsky's Castle. 50% of my posts are sarcastic.

Post by VilaWolf »

Solbrekt wrote:the impression i'm getting from this is that a lot of plagues probably went on longer than they should have because some people thought that the best way to avoid illness was to put it in their mouths
Pretty much.

While I know only rough bits of actual History of Medicine, the folklore that comes from plagues is pretty nasty.
Spoiler
Like, in the 1300s it was believed that puss from a european king's sores could cure syphilis. That was pretty quickly abandoned and changed to if a king touched a syphilitic it could offer a cure, which then became king's coins / tokens because so many kings were catching it and dying.

An interesting offshoot for the vampire thing is the belief that continued right up to the end of public executions; blood from an executed criminal could, in general, restore health. A lot of Executioners had a decent side gig selling rags dipped in blood after a beheading. Particularly in the USA that became patent/quack medicines like Bovinine or Dr Akers Blood Tonic. Sure, strait up drinking bull blood isn't as bad as rubbing yourself down with a rag of human blood, and they were all mixed heavily with opium and morphine, but there are all kinds of ads saying it'll cure everything from seizures to "lady's hysteria" to general "weakness".

Dark Guild Will Trade For Water / Herb Guild Pets.
Egglocked? PM your codes, I'll Help. Free.
When Pigs Fly, Carry an Umbrella.
My Wish List
Last year all the Decessus were named after Haunted Chateaus. This year; Lost Media.
Real
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by Real »

I'm supposed to hold some sort of a presentation about halotherapy, Himalayan salt and whatever else can be found in a salt cave/house tomorrow to a bunch of 3rd graders. But I have no clue what to tell them. It's one thing to explain the benefits to an adult and something else to talk about it with some kids that are, you know, just kids.
Why my boss decided this is going to be a good idea is beyond me. What more can I tell them than the walls are made of salt blocks and that the salt on the floor comes from the Himalayan mountains? (And hope that they won't try to lick/eat them)
:facepalm:
by Saebra
Desade
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by Desade »

I put an offer on a house today! Fingers and toes crossed!!
I love you 3000, Bosco.
~ ♥ ~
my wishlist!
9/25 gifts, thank you!
~ • ~
HiddenMystic
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade

Post by HiddenMystic »

Spare a few clicks to help furbabies? :t-swoon:

https://www.animalwebaction.com/en
Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Danafox
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Danafox »

Real wrote:I'm supposed to hold some sort of a presentation about halotherapy, Himalayan salt and whatever else can be found in a salt cave/house tomorrow to a bunch of 3rd graders. But I have no clue what to tell them. It's one thing to explain the benefits to an adult and something else to talk about it with some kids that are, you know, just kids.
Why my boss decided this is going to be a good idea is beyond me. What more can I tell them than the walls are made of salt blocks and that the salt on the floor comes from the Himalayan mountains? (And hope that they won't try to lick/eat them)
:facepalm:
Sounds to me like this is a bad idea and probably above 5 grade levels or more for them to understand. Would a cooking presentation of something simple work better maybe? idk to be honest, I've never done a presentation to kids ever so.....yeah...goodluck?
Desade wrote:I put an offer on a house today! Fingers and toes crossed!!
Goodluck on your house bid! Hope you get it! ^.^
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Dana's Sales Bin
LTT Donis for Below1Percent

Thank you to all my gifters! <3
pegasi1978
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Post by pegasi1978 »

That surreal feeling you get when you see something you did (painted)13 years ago in a picture of someone else's collection. <3
2024 Crystalwings, Diamond Koi, horse-y things and Cypheles Crystalwings please!| Wishlist in profile | Avatar by Munin!

Return to “Community Discussion”