How Was Your Day Thread V5

Discuss MagiStream and site-related topics.
HiddenMystic
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade

Re: How Was Your Day Thread V5

Post by HiddenMystic »

TheEmbodimentOfKarma wrote:
ShadowOfThePhoenix wrote:
TheEmbodimentOfKarma wrote:Something I do notice is that when I tell people I’m unhappy in school and want to drop out, I get made fun of, giving me even more incentive to drop out.
Yeah and that's infuriating too. People have like... no empathy or sympathy and it's sad. School is definitely frustrating and depressing and people tend to pass it off as 'teen angst' and say you're making too big a deal out of it. It's upsetting. All you can do is stick it out I guess.
Is there some other way to take classes, or some other possibly better school you could transfer to?
I’ve been researching, but my parents are resistant, so I spend most of my time trying to convince them that school isn’t something I enjoy.
Have been reading your posts Karma....and can feel your frustration and pain. My youngest daughter quit at 17 - mainly because even though the school knew we had a restraining order on her POS ex boyfriend they wouldn't do their job and call the cops when he came around the school. D< It got to the point that she couldn't sleep literally and was throwing up all the time. I finally relented and let her quit....she got a job at McDonald's and got her GED. She now (14 years later) works at a residence hall at the university.

One question I haven't seen asked....how old are you? I know you are a freshman (I was 14 when I started high school)....in my state you can't even consider legally quitting til you are 17 now I think it is. And if you just decide to refuse to go to school your parents get sent to jail for not sending you too.
Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
GrowlingCupcake
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by GrowlingCupcake »

TheEmbodimentOfKarma wrote:Something I do notice is that when I tell people I’m unhappy in school and want to drop out, I get made fun of, giving me even more incentive to drop out.
Yeah and that's infuriating too. People have like... no empathy or sympathy and it's sad. School is definitely frustrating and depressing and people tend to pass it off as 'teen angst' and say you're making too big a deal out of it. It's upsetting. All you can do is stick it out I guess.
Is there some other way to take classes, or some other possibly better school you could transfer to?
I’ve been researching, but my parents are resistant, so I spend most of my time trying to convince them that school isn’t something I enjoy.
I'm sorry you're so miserable. I completely understand; I hated secondary school, and would have left in a heartbeat if I could have. I was lucky enough to effectively drop out after grade 10.

I don't know where you are located so I cannot offer much in the way of advice regarding that, but I hope things get better.
Working on getting back into things after a forced hiatus.
LTS: Shards at 50k each.
CinnaminDraconna
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by CinnaminDraconna »

Karma.. does your school allow equivalency classes? By that I mean, can you ask for the fast lane and take your exams early. If you already know everything the classes are trying to teach you, ask if you can opt out and take the exam without taking all the class time. If they allow you to opt out and test early, then maybe you can take different classes or shop classes or advanced placement classes.

I had trouble with boredom in school too.. I'd go to class and start my homework while the class was still in session or finish it in my next class. By the end of the day, I was done with homework and never even took my books home. My after school time was devoted to sports and special projects... or scouting.. or volunteer work, etc.

My big issue was that the school wanted to double and triple promote me because I was so far ahead of my own classmates. BUT my parents refused to allow it because they wanted me to stay with my own peer group. I HATED it because the folk my age were so much dumber than I was.. I was taking college placement classes for actual credit starting in the 10th grade.. and finished with enough credits to actully skip my freshman year of college.

School may be a pain in the ass, but there are ways to make it more interesting... but YOU have to make the effort to make it happen. But I promise you, dropping out is NOT the answer. I'd even say that dropping out is the cowards way out, because your not willing to put the work into making it better. Sorry, but that's my opinion.
05/24/2024 Moving Day - not sure how long I will be offline
Rosehill
Coder
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by Rosehill »

Tyriagris wrote:Oh hey, late to the party as always, but happy birthday, Rosehill!
Thanks! I definitely don't feel my age. XD
Kestrad
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Kestrad »

TheEmbodimentOfKarma wrote:I want to drop out because I’m not learning anything. Why should I sit in a building for 7 hours, 5 times a week, if I’m wasting time?
Yes, you may be wasting time, but your future career choices will look at what you've done in your past and decide they don't want you because you haven't been through high school. Sure, it's probably useless for you now in your life. I hate school too. But for your future, it's pretty much necessary if you want to make a decent living at all and not have to suffer with lack of money and decent jobs.
I can get a GED and go to college. If my future employers question me about my choices, I’ll convince them that i made the right decision.
And how do you plan on convincing them? Serious question. What makes you different? (You're also assuming that future employers will even get to the questioning stage, when it's far more likely in this scenario that they'll just toss out your application without even asking you about it first.)

Look, it sounds like your mind is made up. You're not listening to any of the advice telling you to stay in school or telling you what resources you might have to graduate early, while responding to anything that validates you not wanting to stay. Fine, school isn't for everyone. So stop whining about not liking school and make a plan. And then you absolutely need to commit to making it work. What exactly do you plan on doing with the time you say you're wasting now? You still need to get schooling in some way in order to get your GED. How do you plan to get it? What do you plan to do afterwards? Have you thought about what careers you want to pursue, and how you plan on pursuing them without a diploma?

Plan all this out. This will also help convince your parents that you're serious. After all, if you drop out and things don't work out the way you hope (and honestly, you will need to work very hard to make sure they do), they're the ones who will be stuck supporting you. Can you see why they might be a bit resistant to you wanting to drop out, especially without a thorough plan for the future?
Kestrad has been eaten by life. She'll probably pop back in occasionally.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Keep story | Portal Guild | Graphics Shop
Please do not click my hatchlings. Thank you.
Avatar by Kingsfisher, sig art by herinbon
Silenxia
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Silenxia »

Today was pretty good, but I am just not too sure about my new laptop. My reliable Toshiba finally went out on me and I bought me a laptop with my own money (all my others were gifts, except my mom's...). It is an Acer Swift 1...

Not long out of the box and there is a storage issue...I may have my cousin look at it, maybe he can work miracles that I cannot. But the thing is...I don't have that much (which bothers me in regards to having pictures). But an odd thing is...It seems like the more tabs I open (or whatever I am doing), then the number of how storage I have left increases...I don't get it at all.

I want a Toshiba, Acer is not bad for small stuff, but it just isn't as reliable...
The Wishlist in my profile is outdated (I can't quite figure out how to edit it now, so many of the creatures there have already been obtained).

Gift ideas: I am looking for event creatures now, but most anything will go. Thank you to everyone who has helped me achieve my Crystalwing goals.

ImageImageImageImage
GrowlingCupcake
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

There goes all my gold... but at least I get Jormungandrs <3
whitewolfjustice
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by whitewolfjustice »

Made it home from work just in time for the Auction, at least it was at a time I could bid and not during work or sleep. Not that I need to be blowing any more gold than I already am in my LTB thread XD
Welp time for a shower, food, and some orc slaying then I'll hit the hay to be back at work in less than 11 hours. :woo:
ImageMY WISHLIST LTS Black Market
https://magistream.com/viewtopic.php?t=234106
Do NOT click Hatchlings on my Main tab
GrowlingCupcake
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

whitewolfjustice wrote:Made it home from work just in time for the Auction, at least it was at a time I could bid and not during work or sleep. Not that I need to be blowing any more gold than I already am in my LTB thread XD
Welp time for a shower, food, and some orc slaying then I'll hit the hay to be back at work in less than 11 hours. :woo:
Orc slaying is always important.

NAs make me so anxious, I have to take half a clonazepam before them :derp: I have problems.
AssassinsCreed
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by AssassinsCreed »

/Howrse related

Are you kidding me? Why would you send me 62 messeges within a hour :derp:
First of,I dont know you so dont call me your "friend".
Second of,give me some freaking time to answer BEFOREyou send tons of other pms saying "I though we were friend, omg why do you hate me, whah whah", third of....wtf would you send this to a person you dont know.
Only because you are in my friendlist does not mean you are my real friend (it was a lottery thing when you needed friends to send tickets to in exchange for some tickets yourself).

Nope.F you. Off to report you as spam. I dont find "Well bye I guess, why do you make friends if you just dont give a f** about them" very...friendly.

Get some help you idiot D<

Return to “Community Discussion”