Tattoos and Piercings

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

TxCat
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Re: Tattoos and Piercings

Post by TxCat »

Mothball: put simply, I am fat (about 500 pounds' worth). Part of it is disease (metabolic failure and I take several medications for other chronic conditions which have weight gain as a side effect and I am partially paralyzed) and part of it is heritage (many relatives and ancestors were well over six feet tall with bone and muscle to match; I have been six feet tall and muscular since I was ten).

The tattoo artists around here refuse to do the work on the grounds that their work is art, my body is the canvas, and they don't want their work represented on an ugly canvas. One guy actually compared it to having the best quality art supplies, a gifted artist...and then executing a masterpiece on a stained, crumpled piece of used tissue.

Until I find someone without this attitude, I can't get the work done.

(And I even got certification from my medical team that it was safe to do this.)

I stretched my earlobes myself. I am currently at 02 but hoping to move to 00 by spring. Eventually the bottom set of piercings will be about 3\4 inch and I will put turquoise plugs in them like my Osage ancestors did. I am hoping to have a range of stretched piercings to the cartilage and then go from there. Belly button, too and maybe one other place.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. Harlan Ellison

DC: ImageImageImageImageImageImage Nyoka: ImageImageImage Flowergame: ImageImage
MothballMilkshake
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by MothballMilkshake »

TxCat wrote:Mothball: put simply, I am fat (about 500 pounds' worth). Part of it is disease (metabolic failure and I take several medications for other chronic conditions which have weight gain as a side effect and I am partially paralyzed) and part of it is heritage (many relatives and ancestors were well over six feet tall with bone and muscle to match; I have been six feet tall and muscular since I was ten).

The tattoo artists around here refuse to do the work on the grounds that their work is art, my body is the canvas, and they don't want their work represented on an ugly canvas. One guy actually compared it to having the best quality art supplies, a gifted artist...and then executing a masterpiece on a stained, crumpled piece of used tissue.

Until I find someone without this attitude, I can't get the work done.

(And I even got certification from my medical team that it was safe to do this.)

I stretched my earlobes myself. I am currently at 02 but hoping to move to 00 by spring. Eventually the bottom set of piercings will be about 3\4 inch and I will put turquoise plugs in them like my Osage ancestors did. I am hoping to have a range of stretched piercings to the cartilage and then go from there. Belly button, too and maybe one other place.
Wow...I didn't know they were allowed to discriminate on that basis. I thought that would be legally questionable
ImageImage My babies thank you
ImageImageImage
Member of the Watershop. Shop price+300, I can get you your creatures! Creatures for sale in my extra and SALE tabs, PM me
BradTheMad
HS Moderator
CreaturesTrade

Post by BradTheMad »

TxCat wrote:The tattoo artists around here refuse to do the work on the grounds that their work is art, my body is the canvas, and they don't want their work represented on an ugly canvas.
Wow...unbelievable! D<
See I'd have no problems tattooing any body-type because to me art is art. It will only be ugly if the artist is 'ugly' and these people sound like they are.

The tattooing world is a bit crazy anyway. I am learning on my own simply because nobody wants to teach me unless I crawl on my belly. As an already established artist I refuse to debase myself for somebody who is bad at drawing but happens to know how to hold a tattoo-machine. I did art school for heaven's sake and they cannot even so much as draw a circle straight but question my skills? Please...
And even if you'd find a teacher willing to learn others will never accept you based on who that teacher is...it's a drama-empire I swear. :crazy:
Meddle not in the affairs of Decepticons
for you are squishy and make really funny noises when violently deactivated.
Amelza
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Amelza »

Do you have a tattoo/piercing?: 15 piercings, 5 tattoos at the moment. :D
If not, Are you against them in any way? n/a
Do you think that people who have them should immediately be looked down upon because of it? If someone were to make such a petty excuse to dislike someone, I would in turn think less of them.
Why do you think people should/should not have them? It's a personal choice. I love body mods and at one point in time, in my younger days, I had about 30 piercings. I got bored and took half out over a period of a year, but I may eventually redo a few.
In the work force, should a tattoo or a piercing be the deciding factor in whether or not they get a job? No, as long as the person with them practices good hygiene, as I'd expect of anyone else. People who dislike tats or piercings should not have the authority or influence to decide what others do with their own bodies, period.
1anioh
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident
CreaturesTrade

Post by 1anioh »

Do you have a tattoo/piercing?: I do! A chest dermal piercing, my tongue, and two in the right ear and one in my left. I have Jack frosts staff and some snowflakes tattooed onto my right wrist/underarm area. I plan on getting a bullring (septum) and a lip piercing eventually, as well as some more snowflakes on my arm.

If not, Are you against them in any way? Not against them at all! I actually own a bookstore that has a tattoo parlor in it, and I'm constantly encouraging people to draw designs and to get 'practice' tattoos (the tattoo artist uses crayola markers to draw out a design) to see if they'd like a permeant one.

Do you think that people who have them should immediately be looked down upon because of it? Nope nope nope. I think those that judge should be looked down on though.

Why do you think people should/should not have them? This one is kinda a toughie. I think there are many reasons to get pierced/tattooed. My staff tattoo was a promise to my family that I would stop self harming, by my piercings were all gotten because I had a dream where I had them... and I was HOT. One of my sisters wants to get her naval pierced because she likes the shinies, but I have a client who got a third eye dermal because of religious reasons.

In the work force, should a tattoo or a piercing be the deciding factor in whether or not they get a job? I don't think so. Well. Okay if someone has something clearly offensive written somewhere visible and you're dealing with children, I think that it needs to be covered during work hours. Or for when a piercing is dangerous/hazardous to the work - like being unable to use your hands properly from dermals/surface piercings I think that they might need to be considered for a different position. But I don't think that tattoos and piercings should stop someone from getting hired.
Aesop
CreaturesTrade

Post by Aesop »

Do you have a tattoo/piercing?: I had my ears pierced at one time. Let the holes close up when I developed metal allergies, and started working in a field where getting something caught on an earring and having it ripped out was a big possibility.

If not, Are you against them in any way? I am of mixed minds about tattoos. I have seen some wonderful artwork which is truly a wonder to behold on the human body. Then I have seen some things which can not be unseen. I have also seen several youths with large guages in their ears, which makes me wonder what the ear will look like when the kid changes their mind and doesn't want their ears stretched out anymore.

Do you think that people who have them should immediately be looked down upon because of it? Certainly not. It is all about expressing yourself, and your body is another form of art. Far be it for me to be one to tell you yes or no about what you can and can't do with your own body. It does me no harm, after all.

Why do you think people should/should not have them? I think you should be able to have whatever you want. If it makes you happy and doesn't hurt anyone else, no harm done.

In the work force, should a tattoo or a piercing be the deciding factor in whether or not they get a job? Yes and no. Having a tattoo or a piercing in certain jobs should not matter at all. A cashier, school teacher, working with the public? No reason to hide tattoos or piercings, as long as the tattoos are tasteful. A school teacher with a swastika done on their skin? Not appropriate. As for piercings, there are many jobs where they are dangerous to the person with the piercings. When I was working horses, it was a risk of getting something caught and ripped out. If someone is not willing to take out their piercings in a high risk job, then, yes, that should be a deciding factor on if they get that job.
midosuji
CreaturesTrade

Post by midosuji »

Do you have a tattoo/piercing?:
No tattoos, ears are pierced (male irl).

If not, Are you against them in any way?:
Tattoos, no. Piercings, depends.

Do you think that people who have them should immediately be looked down upon because of it?:
No.

Why do you think people should/should not have them?:

Tattoos-
I feel like tattoos and piercings aren't for everyone. I personally believe you shouldn't get them when you are young because, and I know you've heard it and everyone hates to hear it, you will regret the tattoo you get. I don't care how sentimental it is, how important to you it is, once you get older you will think "wow, this could have been a better piece." At the very least, of course. I'm not saying you will regret that chuck taylor all-star tattoo, but you will probably wish you had a better artist do it or maybe it had been bigger or in a different location. Safe to say, if you're aware of every detail right now, go for it.

I wanted tattoos when I was younger because I thought that they would make me cooler. I thought it would automatically let others relate to me, and make social interaction easier. These are very dumb reasons to get a tattoo and are reasons that lead to regret, because it's peer pressure. It's the same as smoking cigarettes to look cool. It's trying to fit into a crowd you don't belong in. It's going to a rave and listening to a certain genre of music and trying desperately to fit in.

But if you get a tattoo because you think it's cool, maybe your parents had them, maybe you are crazy about art (like yours truly); then more power to you. That's great.

My ex-girlfriend is a tattoo artist. She's a great artist, very talented. But all of her tattoos are corny and trashy. Not like ford logo, tweetie bird smoking a doobie, or Brian from Family Guy. Just band logos, stereotypical nautical sailor tattoos, more-or-less poorly thought out tattoos that look like they were done by a kid. She was an example of the above. Lonely and desperate for attention. She wanted to be part of a crowd that just didn't suit her and ended up ruining her body.

Piercings-
It depends on the piercing. I think ears are fine whether it's rings, studs, or plugs. I don't think a gauge above 0 is attractive, but that is just my personal opinion. Nose rings are hot. Almost anyone can pull off a septum, but the little gem on your nostril looks corny. If you're going for a nostril piercing, get a ring. Eyebrow and anti-eyebrow piercings are really ugly. Eyebrows are important, they are sexy, and jewelry throws them off. Bridge piercings on the nose are creepy, but can be sexy as long as they don't look out of place with your style. I have never liked lip piercings, at all. Lip rings, spider bites, snake bites, literally any kind of bites, cheek piercings like a monroe, all look really dumb. They are pretty much a metalcore fad done by teenagers and it's rare anyone keeps them past the age of 22. Your chances of employment with bites is as good as a highschool dropout not going to lie.

In the work force, should a tattoo or a piercing be the deciding factor in whether or not they get a job?:
Personally? Tattoos don't look professional at all. I don't care how cool that tattoo of Hobbes on your wrist is, it looks childish and will probably risk chances of employment. Fortunately, there are long sleeve shirts, watches, and wrist bands. I do think that any company that bans employment of people with tattoos is shallow and is putting appearances before quality. Trust me, even beards are a no with a lot of places. It sucks. If you can hide it, you can deny it, and you should still qualify for employment.
I spend hours clicking eggs. Fight me irl?
ImageImageImageImage
1anioh
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident
CreaturesTrade

Post by 1anioh »

BradTheMad wrote:
TxCat wrote:The tattoo artists around here refuse to do the work on the grounds that their work is art, my body is the canvas, and they don't want their work represented on an ugly canvas.
Wow...unbelievable! D<
See I'd have no problems tattooing any body-type because to me art is art. It will only be ugly if the artist is 'ugly' and these people sound like they are.

The tattooing world is a bit crazy anyway. I am learning on my own simply because nobody wants to teach me unless I crawl on my belly. As an already established artist I refuse to debase myself for somebody who is bad at drawing but happens to know how to hold a tattoo-machine. I did art school for heaven's sake and they cannot even so much as draw a circle straight but question my skills? Please...
And even if you'd find a teacher willing to learn others will never accept you based on who that teacher is...it's a drama-empire I swear. :crazy:
@TxCat - :< I personally don't think anyone should be discriminated against when getting a tattoo/body mod. It's not the tattooers job to offer an opinion unless asked. And only working on conventional 'pretty' people is only going to hurt a persons customer base and how much money they make in the end.

That said, if anyone is ever up in washington state and they need a tattoo you should totally stop by my store. We work on everyone. <3 /shameless plug

@BradTheMad - Have you looked into the international school of body art? They're located in Canada but they provide online teaching for those who live else where. To be considered full-fledge you'd still have to do 5 year apprenticeship (I think it's 5 anyways) but the school is a good way to get started. A years worth of learning + all of your OSHA/blood born stuff is covered.

http://www.internationalschoolofbodyart.com/
http://internationalschoolofbodyart.com ... rogram.htm

ETA: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Smoke-Mi ... 1558122627 <- This is the tattoo parlor in my store, and she went to the international school of body art. She couldn't find anyone in our area that offered a drug-free zone to work in so that's why she went the school route. If you can't find anyone in your area to apprentice under I would really recommend checking out the school.
TNHawke
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by TNHawke »

http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/moodinq-tattoo.shtml Is this for real? If it is... COOL. If not... WHY ARE WE NOT FUNDING THIS?!
Hawke's IRL fiance, Lunaroki, suffered a massive stroke and died on Tuesday, March 31st, 2015.

Hawke needs to concentrate on other things, and is leaving MS permanently.

Thank you all for many fun years.
ImageImageImageImage
Jazmina
CreaturesTrade

Post by Jazmina »

TNHawke wrote:http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/moodinq-tattoo.shtml Is this for real? If it is... COOL. If not... WHY ARE WE NOT FUNDING THIS?!
It looks real. And I have no idea. The only reason why I don't want to get a tattoo is because there isn't anything that I would want permanently tattooed into my skin. I would seriously consider buying something like this. Though I do wonder if one of the reasons why we don't have this is because we have other cheaper alternatives, such as henna/mehndi, that have been proven safe through thousands of years? Dunno just a thought...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Hall of Speakers”