Avalon Keep #95 is up- 'Deepened Conflict'

This section is for any writing set in a world not of your own making, whether it is the Magistream world or any other.

Moderator: Tea House Moderators

Who's your favorite character?

Pheona
5%
Lir
20%
Keisin
35%
Rynu
12%
Medusa
5%
Alabast
2%
Centurion
3%
Russet
18%

Total votes: 60

SeaCrest
CreaturesTrade

Re: Avalon Keep #90 is up- 'Unknown Sorrow'

Post by SeaCrest »

LOL I know ^_^

O.o T_T
BluMajica
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident
CreaturesTrade

Post by BluMajica »

aww... poor Pheona..

also - Fiji translator please! lol
Beetle by Cassowary

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ― Harlan Ellison

I was Mordeth - I am now not. I'm gone again - find me on VOU if it's urgent under Mordeth
Phoenixwildfire
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by Phoenixwildfire »

Fiji Translator: (swearing)
Spoiler
Pheona: “Are you ready for this, Fiji? We’re going to ambush him next time- we’ll catch him by surprise and get out of here.”
Fiji: "Fuck yeah!" Fiji twittered loudly, puffing up his feathers again so that he looked bigger than he was.

I suggest that anyone reading Avalon also start reading Time Keeper.

It's not necessary, but at some point the two stories may... connect. >.<
Mathcat
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Mathcat »

Wow, I've been lurking around this story since Chapter 7. I'm really enjoying it, and hope to leave a more lengthy review once I've had a chance to (re)read the whole thing.
Wishlist here

Still on AO3 as Mathcat2 - stories for Magistream, Dragon Cave, Forest of Mirrors, and Jelle's Marble Runs, plus original fiction. New stories every Tuesday and Friday during November 2023.

(Signature decorations courtesy of HopingFaith.)
Phoenixwildfire
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

updated in fanfiction.net as well ;3
freakazoid
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by freakazoid »

Poor Phoena...but I think I know what Isildre did to her. Hehe, can't wait to see how the group's gonna react to that... >:3
. Image Image Image Image Image .
Selling shards 50k/shard or cats/koalas
(Always) LTB winged cats & meowls
Signature & avatar art by Piney
SeaCrest
CreaturesTrade

Post by SeaCrest »

freakazoid wrote:Poor Phoena...but I think I know what Isildre did to her. Hehe, can't wait to see how the group's gonna react to that... >:3
I might...

BTW I like the tienko in your avvie ^_^
sammythethief
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by sammythethief »

I've got it!
Cover Isildre in leather, then set Siobhan on him! :srs:
Be kind.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Please do not click any hatchlings in my Main tab. Thank you.
Phoenixwildfire
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Ch. 91- The Lie

Unspaced version:
Spoiler
Pheona looked up as the door opened, Isildre walking in with a strange chain in his hand.
“Ready?” Pheona whispered softly to Fiji behind her back, who chirped quietly.
She had to get the timing just right if this was going to work. If they missed… Well, she would think about that if it happened. For now, she watched as he closed the door and walked forward her, sitting in his chair again. He examined her for a minute and frowned.
“I’m not sure when the first signs of the spell will appear. We’ll just have to assume it worked.” He muttered, taking out the chain and leaning forward to start another spell.
“Now!” Pheona yelled, making Isildre jump in surprise. Fiji flew up and landed on Pheona’s head, opening his wings so that a small flame ball appeared in front of Isildre’s face.
“Ree-tee, Fiji-ji-ji-ji!” Fiji twittered as Pheona brought her hands up, forcing as much water into the flame as she could.
The water exploded into scalding steam when it hit the fire, burning Isildre’s face so that he yelled in pain and stood, his hands covering his face in panic only to be burned by the vapor as well.
Pheona grabbed Fiji and ran to the door as the sorcerer continued screaming, running down the stairs as fast as she could. She yelled triumphantly when she ran outside into the snow, hearing Isildre’s groans of pain from within the tower.
There was no time to waste- she had to get as far away as possible, as quickly as she could. She ran through the snow back to Arkene, hoping Thiazi, Prism and Russet were alright.
Keisin cursed the snow as it started to fall in big, fluffy flakes, making it hard to follow the faint red line.
“Hey- “ Nikko yelled. “Is the line moving?”
Keisin squinted his eyes to focus and sure enough, the line moved slightly toward the west.
“You don’t think he’s taking her somewhere else, do you?” Red asked nervously.
“I don’t know, but we’d better step up the pace in case he is.” Keisin patted Thiazi on the flank, who snorted in agreement and plowed quickly through the snow with his heavy hooves.
The snow is getting worse. Prism said against Thiazi’s horn. But something is up ahead.
Keisin saw a small speck of red and black against the white snow, his heart thumping anxiously at the sight. Was it her?
They ran quickly toward the figure, who looked up at them and held her hands out defensively, a red glow lighting the snow around her.
“Pheona!” Keisin yelled happily, jumping off Thiazi and running through the snow toward her.
“Keisin?” Pheona said in surprise as he scooped her up in his arms and twirled her around in joy. “What are you doing here?” She asked, smiling in relief at seeing the real Keisin again.
“Well- rescuing you.” He said in amusement.
“Oh well, thank you- but Fiji and I managed to figure it out.” Pheona smiled. She was glad to admit to being able to take care of herself. Usually she needed help with everything- but for the first time she had done the impossible on her own.
“Fiji?” Keisin said in confusion, looking her over to make sure she was alright. He heard a loud twittering from beneath the fur-lined winter robes she was wearing, a small tan pygmy phoenix chirping at him as he squeezed Pheona against him protectively- obviously he had squished the creature in the process.
“Oops.” Keisin chuckled in amusement at the small creature. He looked back at Pheona, moving a stray lock of her black hair from her face affectionately. “I’m so glad you’re okay- did he do anything? Cast any strange spells?”
Pheona bit her lip- he looked so happy and relieved. His deep blue eyes were bright with joy- she didn’t want him to worry. Besides, the spell may have been nothing anyway. “No.” she smiled.
Keisin nodded, squeezing her against him again in relief. “I was so worried…” He murmered against her hair.
Pheona chuckled. “You- the big powerful sorcerer was worried?” She asked teasingly, but hugged him back.
“Of course I was.” He said, refusing to let her go.
“I hate to break this touching moment, but if we don’t head back to Arkene soon we’ll get snowed out.” Nikko yelled from on top his unicorn a short distance away. “I’d rather not sleep in a cave.”
“A bed… that sounds fantastic.” Pheona said wistfully, finally realizing how tired she was and sagging a bit in her posture.
“Alright- let’s head back.” Keisin said, holding her hand as they walked back over to Thiazi. He refused to let her out of his site for now.
Thiazi whickered happily as they mounted, making Pheona smile and pat his neck. “Good to see you too- and you, Prism.” She said to the butterfly on Thiazi’s horn.
You’ll have to forgive me for now coming closer. Prism whispered. My wing has been cracked.
Pheona frowned, but smiled reassuringly. “Amalthea can heal that when we get back to Avalon.” She said to the butterfly, who let out a small sigh of relief.
“Alright- back to Arkene.” Keisin said, turning Thiazi around sot they were heading back west. Pheona smiled, noticing how much better Keisin was with riding. She was glad to be back- hopefully things would be better now.
“Well, I was glad to help, but we have our own mission to finish.” Nikko said once they were back in Arkene.
“Yes- sorry for not being able to stay long, Pheona- but it’s an urgent matter. I am glad you’re alright, though.” Red smiled.
“No problem, Red. Good luck in your travels.” Pheona smiled back.
“Keisin- keep an eye on her. She’s a magnet for trouble.” Red said teasingly.
“Oh, I know.” Keisin laughed as Pheona flushed with embarrassment. He turned to Nikko and held out a hand. “It was good to meet another sorcerer who’s not trying to kill me.” He smirked.
“Same here, kid. Keep up your studies- and don’t try any more ancient rune spells unless you know the runes first.” Nikko snickered in amusement.
Pheona waved as Red and Nikko rode off, Red turning around to wave farewell.
“Interesting friends you have.” Keisin glanced over to Pheona.
“You haven’t even met them all.” She smiled as they dismounted from Thiazi. “Now come on, I’m starving.” She said, grabbing his wrist and dragging him inside as he smiled in amusement.
“So, what did he want from you?” Keisin asked as they ate bread and fruit in their room at the inn.
“I’m not sure- he asked where I was from, since I look like I’m from the desert, apparently.”
“I wouldn’t know- but your skin is naturally darker than mine. It would make sense you’re from a warmer climate than I am.” Keisin said thoughtfully.
“He kept talking about his wife- apparently she was killed or something.” She shrugged.
Keisin paused for a minute and frowned. “That may be why he’s so bend on revenge.” He said. “I know if you were killed I might go a little… crazy.” He said hesitantly, not liking the thought.
“Hopefully not Isildre crazy.” Pheona said teasingly, but froze, her red eyes wide.
“What? Did I say something?” Keisin smiled, but turned uneasy as she continued to stare straight ahead at him with unblinking eyes. “Pheona?”
“Keisin.” She whispered, her voice barely audible. “Help.”
“What’s wrong?” He said, standing and moving closer to her as tears filled her eyes. “Pheona- say something!” He yelled when she wouldn’t respond.
“I’m sorry. I lied.” She whispered, closing her eyes and falling out of the chair she had been sitting in.
Keisin yelled in panic, kneeling next to her and propping up her head- she was still breathing…
He watched as she opened her eyes, looking up at him in confusion. “Who are you?”

Pheona looked up as the door opened, Isildre walking in with a strange chain in his hand.

“Ready?” Pheona whispered softly to Fiji behind her back, who chirped quietly.

She had to get the timing just right if this was going to work. If they missed… Well, she would think about that if it happened. For now, she watched as he closed the door and walked forward her, sitting in his chair again. He examined her for a minute and frowned.

“I’m not sure when the first signs of the spell will appear. We’ll just have to assume it worked.” He muttered, taking out the chain and leaning forward to start another spell.

“Now!” Pheona yelled, making Isildre jump in surprise. Fiji flew up and landed on Pheona’s head, opening his wings so that a small flame ball appeared in front of Isildre’s face.

“Ree-tee, Fiji-ji-ji-ji!” Fiji twittered as Pheona brought her hands up, forcing as much water into the flame as she could.

The water exploded into scalding steam when it hit the fire, burning Isildre’s face so that he yelled in pain and stood, his hands covering his face in panic only to be burned by the vapor as well.

Pheona grabbed Fiji and ran to the door as the sorcerer continued screaming, running down the stairs as fast as she could. She yelled triumphantly when she ran outside into the snow, hearing Isildre’s groans of pain from within the tower.

There was no time to waste- she had to get as far away as possible, as quickly as she could. She ran through the snow back to Arkene, hoping Thiazi, Prism and Russet were alright.

Keisin cursed the snow as it started to fall in big, fluffy flakes, making it hard to follow the faint red line.

“Hey- “ Nikko yelled. “Is the line moving?” He asked, pointing toward the small glow as it shifted.

Keisin squinted his eyes to focus and sure enough, the line moved slightly toward the west.

“You don’t think he’s taking her somewhere else, do you?” Red asked nervously.

“I don’t know, but we’d better step up the pace in case he is.” Keisin patted Thiazi on the flank, who snorted in agreement and plowed quickly through the snow with his heavy hooves.

The snow is getting worse. Prism said against Thiazi’s horn. But something is up ahead.

Keisin saw a small speck of red and black against the white snow, his heart thumping anxiously at the sight. Was it her?

They ran quickly toward the figure, who looked up at them and held her hands out defensively, a red glow lighting the snow around her.

“Pheona!” Keisin yelled happily, jumping off Thiazi and running through the snow toward her.

“Keisin?” Pheona said in surprise as he scooped her up in his arms and twirled her around in joy. “What are you doing here?” She asked, smiling in relief at seeing the real Keisin again.

“Well- rescuing you.” He said in amusement.

“Oh well, thank you- but Fiji and I managed to figure it out.” Pheona smiled. She was glad to admit to being able to take care of herself. Usually she needed help with everything- but for the first time she had done the impossible on her own.

“Fiji?” Keisin said in confusion, looking her over to make sure she was alright. He heard a loud twittering from beneath the fur-lined winter robes she was wearing, a small tan pygmy phoenix chirping at him as he squeezed Pheona against him protectively- obviously he had squished the creature in the process.

“Oops.” Keisin chuckled in amusement at the small creature. He looked back at Pheona, moving a stray lock of her black hair from her face affectionately. “I’m so glad you’re okay- did he do anything? Cast any strange spells?”

Pheona bit her lip- he looked so happy and relieved. His deep blue eyes were bright with joy- she didn’t want him to worry. Besides, the spell may have been nothing anyway. “No.” she smiled.

Keisin nodded, squeezing her against him again in relief. “I was so worried…” He murmered against her hair.

Pheona chuckled. “You- the big powerful sorcerer was worried?” She asked teasingly, but hugged him back.

“Of course I was.” He said, refusing to let her go.

“I hate to break this touching moment, but if we don’t head back to Arkene soon we’ll get snowed out.” Nikko yelled from on top his unicorn a short distance away. “I’d rather not sleep in a cave.”

“A bed… that sounds fantastic.” Pheona said wistfully, finally realizing how tired she was and sagging a bit in her posture.

“Alright- let’s head back.” Keisin said, holding her hand as they walked back over to Thiazi. He refused to let her out of his site for now.

Thiazi whickered happily as they mounted, making Pheona smile and pat his neck. “Good to see you too- and you, Prism.” She said to the butterfly on Thiazi’s horn.

You’ll have to forgive me for now coming closer. Prism whispered. My wing has been cracked.

Pheona frowned, but smiled reassuringly. “Amalthea can heal that when we get back to Avalon.” She said to the butterfly, who let out a small sigh of relief.

“Alright- back to Arkene.” Keisin said, turning Thiazi around sot they were heading back west. Pheona smiled, noticing how much better Keisin was with riding. She was glad to be back- hopefully things would be better now.

“Well, I was glad to help, but we have our own mission to finish.” Nikko said once they were back in Arkene.

“Yes- sorry for not being able to stay long, Pheona- but it’s an urgent matter. I am glad you’re alright, though.” Red smiled.

“No problem, Red. Good luck in your travels.” Pheona smiled back.

“Keisin- keep an eye on her. She’s a magnet for trouble.” Red said teasingly.

“Oh, I know.” Keisin laughed as Pheona flushed with embarrassment. He turned to Nikko and held out a hand. “It was good to meet another sorcerer who’s not trying to kill me.” He smirked.

“Same here, kid. Keep up your studies- and don’t try any more ancient rune spells unless you know the runes first.” Nikko snickered in amusement.

Pheona waved as Red and Nikko rode off, Red turning around to wave farewell.

“Interesting friends you have.” Keisin glanced over to Pheona.

“You haven’t even met them all.” She smiled as they dismounted from Thiazi. “Now come on, I’m starving.” She said, grabbing his wrist and dragging him inside as he smiled in amusement.

“So, what did he want from you?” Keisin asked as they ate bread and fruit in their room at the inn.
“I’m not sure- he asked where I was from, since I look like I’m from the desert, apparently.”

“I wouldn’t know- but your skin is naturally darker than mine. It would make sense you’re from a warmer climate than I am.” Keisin said thoughtfully.

“He kept talking about his wife- apparently she was killed or something.” She shrugged.

Keisin paused for a minute and frowned. “That may be why he’s so bend on revenge.” He said. “I know if you were killed I might go a little… crazy.” He said hesitantly, not liking the thought.

“Hopefully not Isildre crazy.” Pheona said teasingly, but froze, her red eyes wide.

“What? Did I say something?” Keisin smiled, but turned uneasy as she continued to stare straight ahead at him with unblinking eyes. “Pheona?”

“Keisin.” She whispered, her voice barely audible. “Help.”

“What’s wrong?” He said, standing and moving closer to her as tears filled her eyes. “Pheona- say something!” He yelled when she wouldn’t respond.

“I’m sorry. I lied.” She whispered, closing her eyes and falling out of the chair she had been sitting in.
Keisin yelled in panic, kneeling next to her and propping up her head- she was still breathing…

He watched as she opened her eyes, looking up at him in confusion. “Who are you?”

....UH OH.

Pygmy translate-o-matic:
Spoiler
Ree-tee Fiji-ji-ji-ji!
Take that, Mother F-er!
BluMajica
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident
CreaturesTrade

Re: Avalon Keep #91 is up- 'The Lie'

Post by BluMajica »

DUN DUN DUN!

:wat:
Beetle by Cassowary

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ― Harlan Ellison

I was Mordeth - I am now not. I'm gone again - find me on VOU if it's urgent under Mordeth

Return to “The Den”