NaNoWriMo Club.

The place to converse with other members of a guild or club.
Wolfsister
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Re: NaNoWriMo Club.

Post by Wolfsister »

I'm debating trying a mini nano--setting my own goal for maybe half the usual wordcount since research is still swamping me. Also I totally intend to include necessary academic writing in my total wordcount as a motivator. I have to decide what to resurrect though--necromancy story, cannibalism story, or really old but persistent standard fantasy story that has changed drastically to the point where I don't even remember the original plot (and have long since lost everything related to its original development)? Seriously, all I remember on the last one is about six character names and the name of an elf city.
Niverdia
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by Niverdia »

Cannibalism is always a good idea. :lol:
But good luck on whatever you decide.

Stories change, and it is to be expected. This is part of the reason, too, why I decided to maybe write down some of my story now in an organized timeframe - the main events stay the same, but HOW they happen etc., when it comes to those things, my imagination is like a hydra - manyheaded, and two heads (ideas) grow back for each that I remove. :derp:

Oh and if anyone wants to add me, same username:
http://nanowrimo.org/participants/niverdia
Wolfsister
CreaturesTrade

Post by Wolfsister »

Yeah, I actually had a really cool idea a few years back about doing a story where the ideas behind a specific type of ritual cannibalism were real, and I know how it would play out (all the way to the bittersweet ending) but I have absolutely no idea how to actually write it. That's always my problem--awesome ideas, no follow through.

The old story is one I still really want to write, but it's pretty unwieldy at this point. It has a large group of "main", POV characters with overlapping character growth, but no actual plot to speak of past the character development itself. At various times I've thought brought in thoughts of time or dimension travel, religious overtones/modern allegory, standard hero story, pantheons of upper beings, merging it with other worlds I've used at other points in my life, etc. I know I've had some fantastic imagery going before, too, but it doesn't fit into anything bigger.

But yeah, I'll either be doing "Necromancer City" (my attempted Nano from a couple years ago, which I still need a real plot/background for), "Lifesource", or "Unnamed Monstrosity of Epic Proportions". Maybe I'll just work on all three.

Edit: I actually found one of my old accounts! Sadly, there is no info from previous years I did this since I apparently never updated it, but I'm Arrowfletch over there.

Edit 2: Ack, I also have "Metal Mage" (alternate title "Of Metal and Earth") that I started writing for Yui ages and ages ago and abandoned fairly quickly. Decisions!
BBkat
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by BBkat »

I actually decided on my novel earlier in the month.It's actually fanfiction this time.

Anyone who follows my tumblr will know that(thanks to my sister) I've been on a Yu-Gi-Oh kick over the past little while. As in, we rewatched Duel Monsters, GX, and then made our way through Zexal and Arc V. During our watch through of GX(the dub, though I'm rewatching it subbed)I got an idea for an interesting AU/what if idea. And it wouldn't leave me alone. And after beginning to think of how certain episodes/story arcs might go differently I decided to use it as my novel. So I am.

For clarification, in GX we learn that when he was a kid, Judai/Jaden(the protagonist) was in possession of a card called Yubel(and the spirit attached to it). Yubel was, viciously overprotective of this kid to the point of putting people into comas. This eventually culminated in him sending Yubel away so they could be made safe to use.

So I wondered, how differently might things have played out, if he had kept the card, if he kept Yubel rather than sending them away and Yubel wasn't driven mad. Certainly it would alter the events of season 3 a lot(because a Yubel maddened by the Light of Destruction was the entire driving force for that season really), but what of seasons 1 and 2? So thatbecame the au that's bn begging to be written 'What if he had kept Yubel'.
And as much as I'd love to just, jump right into season 3 I should do the first two seasons.

Also it provides me with an interesting challenge, writing a character without using gendered pronouns. Because despite the dub making Yubel a 'she'(both pronoun wise and appearance wise), Yubel, isn't one.
They are, technically, nonbinary, neither male nor female(though I suppose that 'he' would be more appropriate than 'she' as Yubel was male when they were human and they do sometimes use the male pronouns for themselves). So, I have to get creative with my writing.
Also I get to practise learning the sub/original names rather than the dub names.
Ktanaqui
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Ktanaqui »

Username: Ktanaqui
NaNoWriMo Username: Ktanaqui (not sure if I'm registered yet, but this will/is my name...)
How many years have you participated in NaNoWriMo? This would be my first.

I haven't entirely committed to participating in Nano this year. However! I've wanted to for many years past and if I can come up with a direction, I will definitely join this year. Here's to hoping that I can get the opportunity to join one of the write-ins that don't conflict with my school schedule.

ImageImage
Niverdia
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Niverdia »

A classmate from university was about to invite me to a Latvian NaNo blog for mutual encouragement, but idk, I don't really feel like sharing my story, which is one of the requisites for joining. Like, I'd have no problem cheering on other people, but IDK, I'd probably not need other support than "you can do it!", because IDK, I feel like I have enough ideas to work with this year. Like, turns out, in some creative aspects, I actually prefer to be the loner, lol. /shrugs
BBkat
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by BBkat »

BBkat wrote:I actually decided on my novel earlier in the month.It's actually fanfiction this time.
Spoiler
Anyone who follows my tumblr will know that(thanks to my sister) I've been on a Yu-Gi-Oh kick over the past little while. As in, we rewatched Duel Monsters, GX, and then made our way through Zexal and Arc V. During our watch through of GX(the dub, though I'm rewatching it subbed)I got an idea for an interesting AU/what if idea. And it wouldn't leave me alone. And after beginning to think of how certain episodes/story arcs might go differently I decided to use it as my novel. So I am.

For clarification, in GX we learn that when he was a kid, Judai/Jaden(the protagonist) was in possession of a card called Yubel(and the spirit attached to it). Yubel was, viciously overprotective of this kid to the point of putting people into comas. This eventually culminated in him sending Yubel away so they could be made safe to use.

So I wondered, how differently might things have played out, if he had kept the card, if he kept Yubel rather than sending them away and Yubel wasn't driven mad. Certainly it would alter the events of season 3 a lot(because a Yubel maddened by the Light of Destruction was the entire driving force for that season really), but what of seasons 1 and 2? So thatbecame the au that's bn begging to be written 'What if he had kept Yubel'.
And as much as I'd love to just, jump right into season 3 I should do the first two seasons.

Also it provides me with an interesting challenge, writing a character without using gendered pronouns. Because despite the dub making Yubel a 'she'(both pronoun wise and appearance wise), Yubel, isn't one.
They are, technically, nonbinary, neither male nor female(though I suppose that 'he' would be more appropriate than 'she' as Yubel was male when they were human and they do sometimes use the male pronouns for themselves). So, I have to get creative with my writing.
Also I get to practise learning the sub/original names rather than the dub names.
For the record, these are main characters I have to work with-
Judai Yuki is on the left (yes, a brown haired, brown eyed protagonist in anime-and Yu-Gi-Oh no less!), and Yubel is on the right.
<3
sorakaji
CreaturesTrade

Post by sorakaji »

I'm going to be a NaNo Rebel, as usual, and work on one of my works in progress for NaNoWriMo. I went to the kickoff party last night, which was awesome, and now I can't wait to get some write-ins going.
Wolfsister
CreaturesTrade

Post by Wolfsister »

I technically started this morning--I wrote all of 26 words. Going to chip away at it all day though, and hoping to hit 3000 by the end of the day to give myself a little breathing room.
Niverdia
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Niverdia »

K, took me a while to find where to get that word counter badge. XD

Return to “Guilds Quarter”