Creature #1388 Haitu | Midmonth Donatationpet

Discuss MagiStream and site-related topics.
feralkiwi
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Re: Creature #1388 Haitu | Midmonth Donatationpet

Post by feralkiwi »

omg yay! i was so hoping we'd get a water bunny doni for the lunar new year and these do not disappoint <3 love them!
(pronouns: they/them)

happy 15th magiversary!

<3 clicks appreciated-just to hatchling pls <3
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
doing bloodline swaps- 1st gen emerald wyverns | lts keep clean
DarkstarWolf
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by DarkstarWolf »

ooh very pretty! Gonna need to wishlist this pet!
~DarkstarWolf

0/25 gifts
Wishlist on my profile, birthday is February 23!

Ѳℓ∂ Ƭσм βσмвα∂ιℓ ιƨ α мɛяяʏ ғɛℓℓσω!
βяιɢнт вℓʋɛ нιƨ ʝαcκɛт ιƨ, αи∂ нιƨ вσσтƨ αяɛ ʏɛℓℓσω!
Ƭнɛяɛ αяɛ иσиɛ ωнσ нαʌɛ cαʋɢнт нιм ʏɛт, ғσя σℓ∂ Ƭσм нɛ ιƨ тнɛ Ѧαƨтɛя!
Ħιƨ ƨσиɢƨ αяɛ ƨтяσиɢɛя ƨσиɢƨ αи∂ нιƨ ғɛɛт αяɛ ғαƨтɛя!
Airasyraye
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Post by Airasyraye »

Gorgeous. Very well done.
<3 Feel free to look at my Holiday Extras and Others tabs to pick out gifts if you want them! <3 :t-swoon: Want lowest-gen pygmies, alt colors :t-swoon: ImageImage
CrystalOrange
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by CrystalOrange »

Mod edited to remove spam
Kestrad
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Kestrad »

Is now a good time to play spot the reference? I put a little fairy tale reference in the description :lol: First person to figure out what it is gets a haitu! Bonus points if you can figure out why the reference is in there ^.^
Kestrad has been eaten by life. She'll probably pop back in occasionally.
Keep story | Portal Guild | Graphics Shop
Please do not click my hatchlings. Thank you.
Avatar by Kingsfisher, sig art by herinbon
Moon487
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Light
CreaturesTrade

Post by Moon487 »

Kestrad wrote:Is now a good time to play spot the reference? I put a little fairy tale reference in the description :lol: First person to figure out what it is gets a haitu! Bonus points if you can figure out why the reference is in there ^.^
I'm not sure if it would be considered a fairy tale per se so this might not be it at all, but the whole parts that say "sometimes disappear for weeks at a time into the sea, leading to speculation that they might change form during that time" and "Haitu molt every few months," remind me a bit of the Selkie myth, since Selkies shed their skin to change form and come ashore as a human, and live in the ocean otherwise (albeit as seals not rabbits lol).
Thank you for the gifts <3
Revan
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by Revan »

I'm thinking selkie as well rather than a particular fairy tale. 'The selkie-folk have come to be regarded as gentle creatures, with the ability to transform from seals into beautiful, lithe humans.' This essentially matches up with the Haitu's description.

Uh...my mind seems to be going dark places. Is the reference that happens to be there regarding selkie shed skin and uh...the seal fur trade...? D:
Need hatchlings?
Come visit The Hatchery!

Free Lineages!

If you visit my Keep, beware. I hoard owls. I am not responsible for any pecked out eyeballs or loss of fingers that may occur.
Wishlist :orly:
sceries
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade

Post by sceries »

Kestrad wrote:Is now a good time to play spot the reference? I put a little fairy tale reference in the description :lol: First person to figure out what it is gets a haitu! Bonus points if you can figure out why the reference is in there ^.^
this is a bit of a stretch, but the adult haitu description kinda sounds like it's referencing the twelve dancing princesses? it also might just be because it says twelve tracking spells, so i immediately thought of fairy tales that involve twelves-- but it does mention the haitu mysteriously disappearing and reappearing... i might be overthinking it lol
i agree that the part about speculation about changing forms sounds like selkies, though! :)
he/him :)

18/25 - thank you so much!!
wishlist: sapphire wyverns, other shiny things and birds, parentless crystalwings? i don't mind new release crystalwings but i'd prefer old ones! extended wishlist in profile if you want it <3
no 2023 crystalwings please!
Kestrad
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Kestrad »

Good guesses, but it's not selkies or the twelve dancing princesses! But I will say that the twelve dancing princesses guess is on the right track.

Edit: After some googling, this reference may be a much deeper cut than I expected. So an additional clue is that figuring out where the creature name came from will be an extremely helpful place to start!
Kestrad has been eaten by life. She'll probably pop back in occasionally.
Keep story | Portal Guild | Graphics Shop
Please do not click my hatchlings. Thank you.
Avatar by Kingsfisher, sig art by herinbon
Moon487
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Light
CreaturesTrade

Post by Moon487 »

Feeling a lot more confident in my second guess with that hint! It’s to do with this line of text here:
Keep folklore has it that one researcher placed twelve tracking spells on her haitu, each more advanced than the last, in the hopes of figuring out where it disappeared to underwater, only for each spell to flicker out, one after the other, at which point the haitu reappeared in her room.
I think it’s referencing the Brothers Grimm fairy tale, “The Sea-Hare.” The story talks about a princess with a tower that had 12 windows, which essentially let her find stuff/people, and each window was stronger than the previous (ie the tracking spells). In the story, due to a challenge from the princess to evade her window’s ability to the point it was impossible to find him, a man ended up disguising himself as a sea-hare to get into her tower/room.

Link to the story here: https://www.grimmstories.com/en/grimm_f ... e_sea-hare
Thank you for the gifts <3

Return to “Community Discussion”