Tsunami in Japan, 3/11/11

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

wolfeyedangel
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Re: Tsunami in Japan, 3/11/11

Post by wolfeyedangel »

TxCat: Usually SOFA's for bases include helping the place they're stationed in the event of a disaster. We've got a lot of military presence from all 4 services in that region, so the service members are probably mobilized with the minimum required to continue their duties (this would be a bad time for North Korea to start feeling squirrelly since they didn't get hit). Those planes you heard will probably be there within 13-16 hours. I'm not up on that model's details (unfortunately.) so I can't get more than vague numbers. but if they're mobilizing from your region they're probably reluctant to pull from the west coast until they're sure the danger's past. Hawaii should be fine for relief personnel, they don't deploy more than half the 25th infantry at a time so you've got that half, the marines, navy and air force that should all be good to go to help there, they'll probably shake personnel free for Japan once they've gotten their own back yard surveyed or if/when they get word from the commander in Japan that they need help post haste. I anticipate aid to ramp up in the next 24 hours or so.

~Wolf
PBEs in which I participate: High Reaches 4th Pass, Golden Valley Weyr
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Taliesen
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident
CreaturesTrade

Post by Taliesen »

As of approximately 1 hour ago Japan had requested only a "limited number" of search and rescue teams to assist in the area.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/ ... 1320110311

Also, last reports from here indicate the US military has been mobilized to assist in Japan and the 38-40K military stationed in Japan are ready to assist. A flotilla including two aircraft carriers and support ships have been ordered to the area. In addition, the US military has offered additional assistance when needed.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... 5cc060.451

At the moment, I think Japan has to survey what's happened and where it needs the aid-logistics in this situation are likely to be a nightmare. Right now it appears to me to be more a matter of waiting for Japan to tell us all WHERE they want the aid to go. I'm inclined to agree with Wolf-over the next 24 hours I think we will see this ramping up very quickly.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
RewinAncient
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by RewinAncient »

I have organized 200 plus people at my school, and today we all prayed for everyone to come out of their safe and sound, for the terror to stop, for help to be received and for those who lost loved ones....to be comforted.

-Titan
This Ancient's always buying Rewins and Whales
ElementalNovel
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by ElementalNovel »

From what I've heard, the death rate is expected to be in the thousands just from today, with many more missing. Whole boats, trains, and even whole towns are missing as it stands. The first waves hit California around noon and one idiot was swept away when he broke police lines to take pictures, (Only in America. Nur hier, nur hier.) The waves are expected to hit Hawaii and Chile soon.

God help us all.

On top of this, the nuclear plant over there might blow, and this would be way worse than Chernobl due to Japan's island status. It's not like landlocked Ukraine, this explosion could affect the surrounding ocean and eventually the world.

In other words, this is the worst disaster to happen in ages.

All I can say is that I hope everyone out there is ok. For those of you who have loved ones and friends in the affected areas, you're all in my thoughts.
T I M S H E L ImageImageImageBut this- this is a ladder to climb to the stars...
I have a new love for that glittering instrument, the human soul.
It is a lovely and unique thing in the universe.
It is always attacked and never destroyed— because "Thou mayest."
FlameTheShingaw
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade
Location: Gifting people candy for halloween and hoping I get some of the chocolate lizards as gifts.

Post by FlameTheShingaw »

i'm so glad this didn't happen late on Friday or early yesterday morning. I'm on a school trip right now and we're in Chico, California. On Friday we spent the night at a hotel in Eureka, California, one of the many cities that was evacuated along the Californian coast.
Leaving Magistream for good. Selling TONS of my creatures here
LunatheDragoness
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Light
CreaturesTrade

Post by LunatheDragoness »

It is sad..I was so scared for my bf because he is in Cali right now..I didnt know if it was going to hit him or not (the tsunami). I find it great that we as the US just love to help out others but we cant even really take care of our own people. Plus we dont have the money for it either. And people wonder why we are in debt.....Im sure we are going to be paying them some money+help with food/water/rescuing/rebuilding...Is Japan even our Allies? Im not thinking they are.... Just a guess because of the bombing at Hiroshima :t-shrug:

Edit::Its amazing that they were walking in groups calmly and they even stopped when the light turned red and then continued when it turned green. Wish the US was like that :wtf:
Spiraling out of control and deeper down the rabbit hole
"Ronald" - Falling In Reverse, Tech N9ne & Alex Terrible
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

The AquariumGolden Claw
Syndicate
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade

Post by Syndicate »

ElementalNovel-
Idiots complete idots breaking the police lines for photos XD AND omg i feel so much better now knowing that the Nuclear thingy might explode and kill us all.... Awesome..... *sarcasm* i hate how all these countries like store and make all these weapons so that as soon as a war breaks out they can explode peoples heads off. bleh. But thats another topic entirely

New Zealand was given warning for a POSSIBLE Tsunami at 7:30am this morning but we got nothing luckily.
Christchurch is still being affected by earthquakes too.

Edit: I lie we have been getting tsunami's but our highest one has only been 60cm so far

Whats Hawaii like?

My thoughts are with you all <3
Last edited by Syndicate on March 11th, 2011, 11:01:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blackwidow
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by Blackwidow »

I heard on the weather channel that Santa Barbara in Cali is under a warning. THAT scares the heck out of me, mainly because Oprah lives there, and Neverland Ranch is there. I don't want them going under! D:
Velocity
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild
CreaturesTrade

Post by Velocity »

I live in Cali, in the Bay Area, where we were expecting 3-9 foot waves at exactly 8:08 AM my time.

I was in school, in a History class, where we were learning about Japan coincidentally.

I had heard a little about what was happening, so I opened google news and various other sites.

It turns out we only had 3 foot waves, up in Crescent City they had 9 footers.

g o o d b y e

Blackwidow
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by Blackwidow »

I beleive this goes very well with what is happening.

Return to “Hall of Speakers”