Discussion: Holds- good or bad?

Discuss MagiStream and site-related topics.
shadowrose45
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Re: Discussion: Holds- good or bad?

Post by shadowrose45 »

ellysketchit wrote:
Valkrye wrote:
Also, the only reason ever to break a hold is if you find that same creature at a better price.
This I don't agree with. If you asked for a hold, then you basically agreed to buy the creature. This is one of the reasons people won't do holds, because of people that break them. I know it's tempting to break it if you see something for less, but the person holding for you was kind enough to do so, and you said you would buy it from them, you know?

yeah--this one really ticks me off. If they ask you to hold, they should BUY it. I've had a huge amount of creatures I've held that no one ever actually paid for. I rarely hold for this reason--except for people that I know never renege on a deal.

Some people hold for ages for people--which is really nice of them! Others, need gold quickly for something they want. I hold when and if I 'can' hold. I never have a stockpile of gold--so I do ask for expensive creatures to be held--and I bend over backwards to try to be sure I can actually complete it.

I turned down two offers on a temple cat a few months ago--for someone that I agreed to hold it for--they changed their mind. I can see why some of the people want deposits on holds.

As for 24-48 hours--the rules do give you 2 days to complete a trade--so if you know it'll be within this time frame--why bother asking for a hold? If the post doesn't request immediate or up front payment--you have a day to scramble if you know it's doable within that time.
16/25 Thanks

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Phoenixwildfire
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by Phoenixwildfire »

Ruffian75 wrote:I consider a "hold" a contractual commitment on the part of the parties involved. In plain English? I consider a "hold" akin to a "Lay-Away" in a RL retail store: I agree to hold the creature for a period of time to give the buyer time to come up with the purchase price in full. Therefore the user either must come through with the gold within the time originally requested or they lose the chance to buy (unless both parties agree to an extension).

I have not had problems with creature trades falling through when "holds" are involved. Not that I do a lot of these, but I have held creatures on occasion.

If a buyer did become a "problem"? I would just say "no" to future requests.

As for the "problem" of creature values falling during a "hold"? Not really an issue since the price is fixed at the time of the hold. The buyer is bound to to that price, just as the seller would be if the creature were to go up in value.

Anyone who would try to get out of the deal because the price went below their original offer? They would not be allowed to get out of the deal, even if I had to get a Mod or Mods to back me up. They would also likely end up on a "won't do business" list with them...and that would mean not doing business with them period.

After all, if a buyer won't come through on a "hold" deal, one cannot trust them with any other kind of business transaction now, can they? I am sure if I were to renege on my end of the deal, the buyer would not let me get away with it, now, would they? :smirk:

AMEN.
Valkrye
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Valkrye »

Dunno, I guess I just don't mind people backing out, that's business for ya. lol I can see what you're saying though, if I was selling something super expensive like a temple cat or kirin, I'd be pretty annoyed if someone backed out. But that's why I don't take holds at all in my shop.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Just back from several year hiatus!

Return to “Community Discussion”