bestiary: ways to tell time-based forms vs. sexual dimorphism?

Get help and give out your ideas for improvement.
castlevania
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

bestiary: ways to tell time-based forms vs. sexual dimorphism?

Post by castlevania »

hi! not sure if im missing something, but is there a way to tell if a creature with multiple forms has sexual dimorphism vs time based mechanics (if not already written within the creature's description)?
ImageImage

๐Ÿ•ธ๏ธ ๐–’๐–ž ๐–†๐–—๐–™: https://lucard.neocities.org/
๐Ÿ•ธ๏ธ๐–˜๐–Ž๐–Œ๐–“๐–†๐–™๐–š๐–—๐–Š ๐–†๐–—๐–™: https://sugarjolt.neocities.org/

PrincessOfVampires
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Re: bestiary: ways to tell time-based forms vs. sexual dimorphism?

Post by PrincessOfVampires »

Hi, normal pets have egg, hatchie/s, adults like here: bestiary/1349

Pets with rotating sprite or alt colors have egg, hatchie/s, adults of 1 color followed by 2nd, 3rd, 4th color like these:
rotating sprite: bestiary/345
rotating sprite: bestiary/1473
rotating sprite: bestiary/1047

alt colors: bestiary/731
alt colors: bestiary/1366

โ†“Visit my shopโ†“
Princess treasures

Gifts: 25/25 Thank you. <3

Wishlist:
male Donec
Jasper/Malachite Miu
Rosehill
Coder
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by Rosehill »

Generally it goes like PrincessOfVampires described. In some cases, however, it may not be that clear. For example the Prismatic Sepiida: bestiary/668 may look like egg, hatchling, m and f adult, rotating hatchling, rotating m adult, rotating f adult. When it actually doesn't have gender dimorphism at all, and instead has a four stage rotation for adults and two stage rotation for hatchlings.

So there isn't any fool-proof way that applies to every case to check it from the bestiary page currently.
CinnaminDraconna
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by CinnaminDraconna »

Since the rotating sprites have ALWAYS annoyed the heck out of me; maybe you could add the appropriate info into the 'Notes' section on the bestiary pages.. something like, this sprite changes every X hours or this sprite changes with the seasons. I know I would certainly appreciate it, and I'm sure others would too.
I am in the process of moving house, so I will not be around much for the foreseeable future.
Rosehill
Coder
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by Rosehill »

Some rotating sets already have a mention like that along with a mention of how to freeze the sprite rotation. There are a few things at work currently regarding mechanics that are loosely related to these things, and that may also affect how certain information is shown in the bestiary. Before that at least we won't make adjustments to the bestiary info.

Return to โ€œSupport and Suggestionsโ€