Goldmining is causing the lag, and must stop

Learn about the latest updates here.
Rosehill
Coder
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Re: Goldmining is causing the lag, and must stop

Post by Rosehill »

The naming/unnaming thing has popped up every now and then during the years, and as newer users naturally haven't been part of that progression, I'll open up the background of that briefly:

The mindset behind Magistream has been that if you name a pet, do it with meaning an thought. In the beginning it was possible to name a creature, but it was not possible to rename it, so people mostly tended to leave their creatures unnamed unless they had a meaningful name in mind. In those days named creatures usually held a special place in their owners' hearts. The name, however, most likely wouldn't hold such a meaning to other people, so unnamed creatures were valued more than named ones when selling and trading. The need for renaming creatures arose mostly from this same issue though, as people who bought a named creature might want to name it something to their liking.

So, renaming was introduced to the site 3 years after the site's launch, and at that time there was actually a lot of user wishes for renaming to cost gold, to keep the naming process have meaning and not just be a whimsical thing. Renaming costing gold was also in line with the site's same same underlying thought of naming being special.

This is not to say that details surrounding renaming won't be altered in the future, but at the moment more crucial site functionalities are being worked on, so if we'll get to changing something about the renaming, it'll have to wait at least until the more pressing matters have been sorted out. ^.^
Mochipet
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by Mochipet »

Ah that makes sense. The other hatchable game I've been playing for years now has it to where each name has to be unique. So for example no two creatures on the site can both be named "Bob". I don't know how they managed to do that but it's always been a fun mechanic because it forces people to get creative with spellings, spacing, names in general.

But the site has been going for so long (I've been playing since 2013) that some players nowadays want to do away with that mechanic because with the tens of thousands of creatures on there, it's gotten a lot harder to come up with names.

I'm not sure if something like that would work for Magistream though. Maybe instead of gold, there could be a renaming limit. Like each month you can only rename x number of creatures or something like that. Either way if the gold fee remains then maybe reducing the price or as yall said having new ways to make gold would balance it out I think. Possibly.

Either way, thank you for taking the time to explain! I appreciate why yall made that mechanic better now 😊
Shakura
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Air
CreaturesTrade

Post by Shakura »

I am really happy that the site errors have been "fixed" even though it had to be through drastic measures. I find that, for example freezing or releasing eggs is really quick, as well as loading tabs with 2000 creatures in it!

Some areas that still feel slow (in comparison to other function or websites) is forums. Some threads take quite long to load. I thought it was because of the number of images but I had a thread with only two posts take 5-10 seconds while this one popped up in a second. Though the click threads are always slot to load initially, unfortunately.

Editing and Posting on the other hand is speedy again.
ImageImageI love Birds!Image <3 (( Quicksale / Shop ))
Looking for Gender Swaps of many Shop Creatures!
View my Profile for a List of all Magistream Birds! (WISHLIST!)
pegasi1978
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Life
CreaturesTrade

Post by pegasi1978 »

I missed that Rosehill answered the reason behind why there is a renaming fee. The economy in the game has always been a discussion between players that have lots of time to post in threads or click creatures and those players that don't have as much time. Finding a balance can be hard.
| Wishlist in profile | Avatar by Munin!
Imbored
CreaturesTrade

Post by Imbored »

I do not experience that much lag, I only get a little bit laggy when I open up the user control panel. :derp:
sammythethief
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by sammythethief »

I'm honestly surprised that mining the way we were didn't cause issues sooner; we really did go unsustainably hogwild on the IFGM. Opening 3.5k links at a time would stress even my current PC, and she was build for gaming.

As far as I know, the link to the script for auto-closing creature pages in Opera no longer displays anything. This is probably a good thing, so that no one else can set it up.

Just for curiosity's sake, is the old method of goldmining (CloseIt script & snaplinks/link clump) going to be viable without causing issues once the website is fully updated and stabilized again? I'm not saying that I think it should be or that I want it to be, of course, I'm just curious. I like the ideas of other ways to earn gold that have been listed here, some of which may even help drive prices down, if gold earnings are capped to daily and weekly quests.

Concerning lag, some moments are better than others. Sometimes things load up instantaneously, other times there's a 15 second delay. I'm just grateful that we have dedicated people working on it. I'll just keep chucking money at you and hope cash solves the problem :P
Be kind.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Formerly MadameRed - same grumpy soul, new and improved theft!
15th Magiversary Free Raffle!
Rosehill
Coder
CreaturesTrade

Post by Rosehill »

MadameRed wrote: October 16th, 2023, 5:35:10 pm Just for curiosity's sake, is the old method of goldmining (CloseIt script & snaplinks/link clump) going to be viable without causing issues once the website is fully updated and stabilized again? I'm not saying that I think it should be or that I want it to be, of course, I'm just curious. I like the ideas of other ways to earn gold that have been listed here, some of which may even help drive prices down, if gold earnings are capped to daily and weekly quests.
The site infrastructure is already fully upgraded, and it can't handle mining, so unless there's a big unexpected shift in something behind the scenes (unlikely), then the site won't be able to handle mining in the future either. :t-boo:
AssassinsCreed
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by AssassinsCreed »

When it comes to mining,there are several things that contribute to opening 1000+ tabs.. and yes,the site is partly responsible for this mining situation issue as well since the way of obtaining gold is a massive grind in itself. If the features on the site support grind, and reward of clicking thousands of critters then why would anyone think that mining wouldn't become a big thing especially when it wasn't seen as bad thing by those who run this site?

1) you get 1 gold per critter clicked (adult). With means,to get a certain creature you want (lets say,Enox), you need to click 7700 critters to get 1 egg. If you want 2 pairs of Enoxes to breed them and get more, you need to click 30800 adults. That's...insane. The clicking reward you less than a gacha game that prompts you to do a 3-minute daily quest to obtain valuable currency.

The more gold you get per critter,the less need is there to mine thousands of critters to get 4 eggs. Most people don't mine thousands of critters because they want an army of specific critter,they do it because clicking on a critter gives so little gold they have no other choice than to click x100 more than they want to to get that one egg from the shop...dosen't help that we need to click on a critter to grow it either. Maybe only hatchlings and eggs should give gold,and adults should give a 0?

Personally I didn't goldmine because I wanted to become billionare,I did it because I had to to buy the donation pets I wanted (or more SB critters from the Shop or critters I cannot obtain because they are event-specific). Clicking a few pets (10-15 pets) manually gave you nothing of worth.

2) No cap. You could mine all day long to click all adults to get tons of gold. If you wanted 1 mil,it was fully possible as far you farmed. If there was a cap that you cannot obtain more than (lets say) 20k per day, it would hopefully lower the requests the site has to process. (note:The goldgaining cap would be put on obtaining gold from clicking.You could still obtain it from quests,selling things and such).

3) Removing the ability to gain gold from anywhere in a game where getting certain eggs come only from the shop is... well,it sounds a bit salty :t-shrug: . The users did not create this situation on their own,the site has (through several years) encouraged mining, so coming and saying "if you keep doing this we will just remove this option completely" on a site where there is NO other way to gain gold leaves very bitter taste in my mouth. The 1 gold per click and no cap dosen't help either. Removing obtaining gold from clicking would be more of a punishment than solving the things that made people farm and mine gold in the first place. Then we also have the need to click the hatchlings as well eggs to make them grow and clicking threads are a thing... back in the days when I was clicking eggs, I would go though hundreds of eggs at once. So then it was not farming for gold,it was view-farming to make eggs hatch and make the hatchlings to grow up as quickly as possible.

4) since mining now results in a ban,this message (and any other big site update) should be sent as a newsletter to all users (if that is even possible). I know it's shown on the front page of Magistream when you login, but the first thing I see is the stream and the eggs,as well as the menu above it and welcome-message below it. I saw the news because I forced myself to look beneath the stream and the welcome-message. You would be surprised how many people don't read the newsposts (this goes for all games,not only Magistream). Once another newspost comes,this post will be well... probably rarely (if ever) read by anyone who hasn't seen it already.If it's a returning player who hasn't logged in in several months comes after new big news are published,this one will probably never be viewed by that user.

Just a note,I am not against stopping goldmining. If it takes down the site,then I agree with the decision of banning it,I rather have smooth running site experience rather than millions of gold . However, I am not going to support removal of critters giving gold until other means of obtaining it.

Ideas
*Maybe we could help out Remy at the Inn and each time we do we get XXX gold? It would have cooldown timer,of course.

help for 1h= xx gold (1h cooldown time)
help for 2-4h= xxx gold (2-4h cooldown time)
help for 4-8h= xxxx gold (4-8h cooldown time)

This would be a pretty good way of getting gold for both causal and players that visit the site everyday or only once in a while.

* bank interest. You slap the gold in a bank,and you have certain % of interest you gain daily. The more gold in the bank,the lower the interest.The interest is gained every 24h.
Neuvillette
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Neuvillette »

The site is in need of a serious gameplay update if it can no longer sustain keeping up with mining.
I am looking for hyenas right now. My about me section is very outdated but I still like garms fenrirs and now hyenas
Windi1
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Air
CreaturesTrade

Post by Windi1 »

Neuvillette wrote: October 18th, 2023, 5:33:36 pm The site is in need of a serious gameplay update if it can no longer sustain keeping up with mining.
Rosehill just did a huge update to the game as the server was going wonky. The lag being caused by the overload of mining was found. Atm, this is the only way to address it.
My Wish list?
Spoiler
Looking for the following: Halloween pets!
agaori, all dragon breeds, Diamond wyrm
gryphons, hippogryphs
wolves, koi, spiders, Serendin, all Amagnaes Alvean Yale, Tidal Wraithe
direcores, capricorns, jackalopes,
Vahti, Wallatrice
All khirin, event pets, shop pets and past donis

Image Big need: Diamond Wyrm, Wugu Amagnae Hoarding:ImageImage 00/25 gifts

Return to “Site News”