Angels on High Ch 1&2

This section is for writing that is completely your own, including the world it is set in

Moderator: Tea House Moderators

AlanaCupcake
CreaturesTrade

Angels on High Ch 1&2

Post by AlanaCupcake »

This is the beginning of A story that I am writing for part of a final project for my English class.
I'd love to hear any suggestions to make it better as well as your opinions!

Angels on High

Wing 1

In veils of shadow
It flies ceaselessly, Night falls
Searching endlessly

Of all places to assign me, it had to be Brooklyn. Fresh out of Colorado Springs and they threw me in one of the largest cities in the U.S., much less, an Army base. I’m alone, ignorant of the world, and admittedly scared.

At least I get a killer housing allowance…

My life on my own started with four years at the United States Air Force Academy with a degree in military and strategic studies. I went on to basic training in San Antonio, Texas and flight school in Bexar County. At 23 years of age, I had hoped to be in Okinawa, Japan by now learning how to live my life without my parents or school, but I guess I’ll just have to figure it out here in Brooklyn.

The Detail had struck again; this time in a way that I hadn’t seen coming. Usually, they try to convince you they have some better job in some unknown place that fits your skill set and when you get there you realize it’s the exact opposite of what you’re trained for. This time, the Detail officer played dirty and taunted me with, “This no job for an itty bitty Academy kid.” Of course, this infuriated me.

At least the housing is off base…

The plane had been delayed by a good two hours so I caught a taxi so my new apartment building bummed that I would most likely have to sleep on cardboard boxes my first day ever in Brooklyn. I got there at 19:47.

As I stepped out of the taxi, I almost got back in and told the driver to take me to the real place. The structure he had stopped at was massive and much higher than the military standard. It was covered in reflective glass and there were parts the curved in toward the top giving the impression of a large, silver wine bottle in the middle of an ant farm. It had to be at least 50 stories tall, if not taller.
The entrance was grand, relating to that of a five star hotel’s. Three sets of double doors were framed with two onyx statues of what appeared to be angels. People bustled in and out of the doors, some carrying brief cases, others, luggage. I wove in and out through the doors and into a dream.

More onyx covered the floor and white marble and quartz contrasted the pitch black on the countertops of the concierge desk ahead and columns that supported the open space; there were twelve in total, spaced randomly throughout the room. The walls were all glass as seen from the outside, but oddly enough very little natural light shown through. Majority of the light was given from overhead by golden strips that made the room feel similar to a cave with a lit fire in the background. There were no tables, chairs, rugs, or even people. Just the desk and the columns.

Overall impression: What the hell?

“First Lieutenant Bond I assume?”

My head snapped toward the voice to find it came from a tall, slender woman standing next the desk. If perfect was human, she was it. Long brown-black hair with bright blue eyes and ivory skin. She wore black slacks and a white blouse to match the room. I walked over to her and before I can speak she turned and walked into a hall I hadn’t noticed before. I turned to take one last look at the lobby. I stopped as my eyes reached the desk. On it was a bright blue gem the size of a pea, shining in the low light like a star. I was positive it hadn’t been there when I had walked by just a minute ago.

Wing 2

Searching endlessly
It feels her as she draws nearer
Tempted, oh so curious

The hallway led to a single elevator. The woman pushed the button and the doors opened; they stepped in and the woman pressed a floor that looked like the 97th. The doors slid shut and the elevator sped up the building. It was only a second before it slowed to a stop and the doors silently opened once again.

This particular hallway was a polar opposite from the lobby. White tile composed the flooring and white walls gave the room a blinding quality. The glass wall brought in light from the sunset and gave the room an orange glow. I stood there dumbfounded until the woman cleared her throat.

“Ms. Bond. This way please.” She sounded annoyed.

I followed her to a room, to which she pulled out a key and unlocked the door. She handed the key to me.

“This is your apartment. All of your things are already here and set up. If you have any questions or complaints, please call the lobby and the staff will be happy to help you with anything you need.”

I nodded.

She started to walk away but then turned back around, “There are three more floors above you. Those are the owner’s floors and tenants are forbidden to enter those floors unless invited.”

With that, she turned and disappeared down another hallway I failed to notice, leaving me by my door wondering what to do next. I decided to open the door and see what the detail had gotten me.

My breath left my lungs as soon as I saw the room. It was one huge room. There were no divisions in between the sections of the apartment besides a line of book shelves. Even better were the walls. The eastern and southern walls were made up completely of glass from the floor to the ceiling, overlooking the city. The now black sky glittered with stars and the lights from the city shown below. I stumbled in, completely enthralled with the view from the windows.

“It’s enchanting isn’t it?” a cool voice stated from behind me.

I swung.

The man caught my fist right before it made contact with his beautiful face. The only thing about him that had moved was his arm. He brought my arm down and tilted his head to the side.

“You’re a feisty little thing aren’t you?”

“You don’t need to tell me. I know I’m small and I don’t care for people who remind me.”

He put his hands up and slowly took two half steps back.

“I am dearly sorry, Miss. I meant no offense.”

“It’s ok,” I huffed. “Now may I ask what you are doing in here? As well as who you are?”

“Of course. I am the owner of this building,” he smiled, turned around, held his hands behind his back, and gazed up and down the room. “This is my favorite room in this whole building in fact.”

“Don’t worry; I will.”

He snapped back and walked toward me abruptly, starring straight into my eyes. I could see him now. He face looked like it was chiseled from olive colored stone. He had a strong jawline and grey blue eyes that could penetrate the soul. The reminded me of the mist that covers the Cliffs of Mohr in Ireland as the sun rises. His nose was straight and his cheeks and chin were covered in dark, manicured stubble. His black hair unruly and wild, but still looked intentional and fitting. He was at least a full foot taller than me and was at most 70 pounds heavier. His muscles filled out his tailored suit to perfection. His scent was of another world, radiating from him like his own cloud of heaven.

I stared back, blinking, and even tilted my head slightly. He chuckled and leaned in closer, stopping less than an inch from my face. For some reason I wished he would have touched me…

“You are rather interesting Little Miss.”

“Am I now?”

“You are,” he stood up straight and walked to the door. I had to run to catch up.

He stopped at the mirror by the door and looked at himself for a minute and then he turned to face me.

“Come to my floors at eight tomorrow night. We can discuss further details then.” With that he disappeared out the door faster than I could look away.

Though I almost thought I saw wings in the mirror as he left.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “The Parlor”