Birth Control

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

Intempestivity
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Birth Control

Post by Intempestivity »

Feel free to discuss all aspects of birth control in this thread. If you are for it or against it. If you use it or don't use it, and why or why not. Discussion of different types of birth control, and the benefits and negative consequences of each, is also welcomed.

I feel a need to share my story of being on two different types of birth control pills, as one had a very detrimental effect on my physical and mental health. Doctors (allegedly) were unaware of the connection at the time I started my pills, and only admitted to me there was a link when I refused to change back to the pill that had created such a reaction, which is concerning because all of the information below, these potential links to mental health, are not usually mentioned until there's already a problem.

I was on a combined pill for years, and a little over five years ago, the nurses at a free clinic insisted I change to a progesterone only pill for "health reasons"--those "reasons" being that I was in my late twenties and a little overweight.

Those POP pills had a truly terrible effect on me, one which I think needs to be shared. Other women should be aware of my experience so they can be fully educated before deciding to use these pills, as my experience is not unique.

I noticed within the first three months of being on a POP birth control that my depression and anxiety had intensified. My emotions were all over the place, and I was really unstable. Panic attacks and sleep paralysis episodes came back along with dissociative episodes. It was BAD. And I went in to the clinic, completely fucking desparate to get back to my old pills, and was told that that was impossible. The nurse who saw me looked at me like I was crazy for suggesting there was a link between my new pills and the sudden intensifying of these disorders that I did previously have under control. And so I stayed on them. I stayed on them for five years, despite the continuing impact on my mental health (OCD also came up as my brain tried to cope with the anxiety), despite the fact that throughout the duration of those five years, they made my chest get so sore and my periods so erratic that I would be convinced I was pregnant several times a year. Additionally, the lack of estrogen and the erratic periods basically meant my body went in to a chemical menopause, which means my body was struggling exactly as it would in menopause--including struggling to absorb calcium. This is particularly concerning because your twenties is when your body is supposed to be building up bone density, and I actually should have been consuming twice the normal amount of calcium to compensate and build stronger bones. None of these physical side effects were even mentioned when I was put on this pill.

Eventually, the POP messed up my physical body so badly that the nurses finally agreed to take me off of it and back on to my old combined pill. And in the past six months since going back on that combined pill, I have felt more fucking HUMAN than I have in the last five years. I went totally fucking numb to try to deal with the depression and anxiety, and I can feel again. I went so far numb, so far GONE, that I was a fucking robot. My creativity dried up. I stopped writing. I stopped drawing. I had brief moments in which I would sculpt or paint or take photographs, but they were so few and far between compared to what I used to do. Now, along with a normal range of emotions, my creativity has returned. I can write again. It's not as prolific as it was before, but it's coming back. I'm writing more pieces and more frequently. My anxiety and complusions have lessened (though in times of stress, the compulsions take over again). My moods overall are much more stable, and my body is once again behaving as it should (more or less--my periods are still trying to get back to normal, and I'm still worried about calcium absorption rates until they do).

Despite all of this progress, when I went back to the nurses last time, one of them suggested I might "want" to go back to that other pill. I lost my fucking shit. I nearly broke down in the office. I said it affected my moods so badly, it affected my personality and I will never, EVER go back to progesterine only pills again. NEVER. And you know what she said?

She said that research has shown that these pills can exacerbate existing or underlying chemical imbalances, and I should have said something sooner.

And that makes me absolutely furious, because I did say something. I said it to one of the other nurses, and she treated me like I was completely mental for even suggesting that there was a link with the POP pill. And so I allowed myself to be silenced, and I regret that, because clearly there is a link, and I knew it. I knew my body and my mental health, and I knew the changes were directly related to starting a new birth control pill. I knew a previously manageable situation was becoming unmanageable, and that it would not "adjust" back to how it was prior. I should have kept speaking up, but I was afraid that I would continue to be judged. The stigma around mental health (another topic completely) had made it so that when I voiced concerns about my mental health, clearly, the problem was with me--not with a change to my pill regime. My voice was discounted.

I have so many different feelings about how the last five years of my life has gone down. About the continuing impact it has on me today. Above all, I feel this is something all women have a right to know, and it's something health agencies aren't telling women until it's too late. They're not taking women seriously when they bring it up. They're acting like they know a woman's mental health better than the woman knows herself. They're treating us like we're the crazy ones, and like they have no responsibility for what happens to women who have these sort of mental health reactions to certain types of birth control. Yes, there are a fair few physical side effects of birth control. There are mental side effects, too, and those should be taken just as seriously as the physical ones. Depression can kill you just as effectively as a bloodclot.

Before you go on to a particular type of birth control or change birth control, ask yourself if the doctor is looking at the bigger picture. Are they considering your mental health as well as your physical, and which is the safest option for you? If they want to change your birth control based on only one or two risk factors, they're not looking at the bigger picture. Make them. Force them to consider all risks present, and the likelihood of which risk would have a greater impact. Don't let them bully you in to a decision, don't let them silence you.
Emerarudo
CreaturesTrade

Re: Birth Control

Post by Emerarudo »

I think birth control is absolutely necessary. Sexual activities is a human instinct, and if the pair don't want to get pregnant they shouldn't be forced to reject their instincts because it is "wrong".

(This might be a little off topic)
Spoiler
I had an argument with a person who was highly against abortion. I stated that sexual activities was a human instinct, and that not a single birth control is 100% safe. Accidents happen, and the woman should be able to have an abortion if she wants to. The guy just ignored my arguments and said that "the best birth control is to not have sexual intercourse". Well, then you will be neglecting a basic human need (for most of us). Another argument I had was that if a girl was raped and also got pregnant, she should be able to have an abortion if she wish. I expected his reply to be something like "well it will of course be allowed in special cases like that". But no, you know what he replied with? "Carrying a child wouldn't lead to a bigger trauma after the rape". Uhm, of course she would be more traumatized!? Made me really mad that he was so stubborn and didn't listen to my good arguments.
I myself use birth control for two reasons. Number one is that I used to have really bad acne, and the pills where specifically developed to prevent acne. And the "side effect" is that it works like birth control. I'll admit it, I'm not in a relationship at this moment, but I would get pregnant without the pills. I am sexually active. Obviously I don't want to get pregnant with one of my friends.

But yeah, that's my opinion and why I use birth control.
<3 <3 <3
MunchyRawr
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by MunchyRawr »

I use the depo provera shot, which is easier for me than a daily pill because of my hectic and ever-changing work schedule. I just go to my ob/gyn every three months and get a shot in my arm. No period has got to be one of the best parts of birth control for me, but the weight gain! Last time I was on the shot, I had only gained a total of 5-10 lbs. Then I had to take a break because of an ongoing insurance issue, and this time around (I've been back on the shot for about a year now), I've gained a total of almost 30 lbs! :( I was previously a size 2 (with pants/shorts) and now I'm a size 12 on my butt, but more like 10 on my thighs and waist.

I use it because I am in a serious relationship. We live together, and I already have 1 child. I had her almost exactly a week after my 18th birthday. I'm already a young mother, and I really do not want to have another until we've got an actual house/car and are ready in every way to have another child. I do want more, though, just in the future and not any time soon.

I like the depo shot because it's easy and quick to do, but is less invasive than things like the cup, or the IUD. Those things scare me to be honest.

EDIT: After actually reading the posts above me, I wanted to add some things.

Being on the depo shot this 2nd time actually does seem to be making me depressed sometimes, and I was especially concerned last year when, for a few months, I'd randomly have anxiety/panic attacks. They stopped when I became able to recognize that one was starting, and I would just tell myself over and over, "It's just another anxiety attack, calm down. You're not a crazy person for crying on the bus for absolutely no reason." Because, yes, I would be chilling at home with my boyfriend, helping him Youtube a walkthrough for his game, and my breathing would become very shallow, and tears would roll out of my eyes even though I wasn't feeling anything that would make me want to cry. Along with this, I'd feel very paranoid and anxious, and these would last for a good 15-20 minutes each. As this has NEVER happened to me before, I was fairly convinced it was because of my birth control.

Also, concerning the stubborn guy that was against abortion completely, what an ignoramus :p
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
silvernightingale
CreaturesTrade

Post by silvernightingale »

MunchyRawr wrote:I like the depo shot because it's easy and quick to do, but is less invasive than things like the cup, or the IUD. Those things scare me to be honest.
Why do IUDs scare you, may I ask? They're one of the safest B.C. methods.
Hummoint
CreaturesTrade

Post by Hummoint »

My birth control is a life saver.

My menstrual cycle used to be completely out of control, I didn't know when it was coming, and it would be incredibly heavy that I wouldn't want to go to school for fear of "showing" a.k.a. soiling through to my pants and just going home anyway incredibly embarrassed. I can't stand to wear pads because they are very uncomfortable to me so having a lighter cycle makes me feel a lot better and sometimes I even forget that I am having it on a good day.

I also suffer from migraines. I used to get them once a month, and guess when? The day before my period would start. I would be so sick for hours that I don't think I could be considered a fully conscious human being. I would be in so much pain that I would try to just sleep in the darkest, quietest place I could but unfortunately I was also so nauseous that I would wake up every ten minutes or so and have to run to the bathroom to puke up basically nothing. It was awful.

But ever since I started taking this birth control- I take a daily pill, 28 days a month, those types of migraines have stopped. I am so grateful.

Which is why I think that when the topic of birth control comes up I abhor it when the only thing being discussed is what it does to block pregnancy. Many women take birth control to stabilize hormone imbalances. Some women just want to know when the heck their period is going to happen.

But on the topic of mental health, I'd honestly have to say that my pills have been helping me out in that regard. They're a combined pill with estrogen and progestin. I used to get really stressed out simply because of my menstrual cycle itself but because it has calmed down I myself have calmed down. I can't imagine being on a progestrone only pill... that doesn't make any sense. If you're "a little overweight" there would have to be other ways to take care of that. It does sound like these healthcare providers weren't acting in your best interest. Dang, I hate people like that. In "positions of power" and then they do stupid stuff and mess up people's lives. I've been in the hospital several times and have seen this done. Usually to minors though since they don't have any say in anything.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Intempestivity
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Intempestivity »

Emerarudo wrote:I think birth control is absolutely necessary. Sexual activities is a human instinct, and if the pair don't want to get pregnant they shouldn't be forced to reject their instincts because it is "wrong".

(This might be a little off topic)
Spoiler
I had an argument with a person who was highly against abortion. I stated that sexual activities was a human instinct, and that not a single birth control is 100% safe. Accidents happen, and the woman should be able to have an abortion if she wants to. The guy just ignored my arguments and said that "the best birth control is to not have sexual intercourse". Well, then you will be neglecting a basic human need (for most of us). Another argument I had was that if a girl was raped and also got pregnant, she should be able to have an abortion if she wish. I expected his reply to be something like "well it will of course be allowed in special cases like that". But no, you know what he replied with? "Carrying a child wouldn't lead to a bigger trauma after the rape". Uhm, of course she would be more traumatized!? Made me really mad that he was so stubborn and didn't listen to my good arguments.
I myself use birth control for two reasons. Number one is that I used to have really bad acne, and the pills where specifically developed to prevent acne. And the "side effect" is that it works like birth control. I'll admit it, I'm not in a relationship at this moment, but I would get pregnant without the pills. I am sexually active. Obviously I don't want to get pregnant with one of my friends.

But yeah, that's my opinion and why I use birth control.
I agree, birth control--hormonal or otherwise--is critical to sexual health, and it also helps with a lot issues that result from hormonal imbalances. Regarding your friend, clearly they're naive--and closed minded. I noticed you mentioned he; I'm going to assume cis and not trans. It's disturbing how many men think they know what's best for women's bodies and psyches :/. I'm hoping he's young-ish and will open up his mind at some point in the future. (Off topic--I have similar discussions with people, and my husband once asked me "what is the point in arguing with someone like that?" My view is that these discussions are important, and if enough people have them they'll open some minds. One is all it takes. Then maybe that person will realise that how they thought previously was a very narrow view, and when they hear someone else voicing similar views they'll have a discussion to try to make them stop and think. If we change one person's mind, we can have an important ripple effect. Keep having those discussions.)
MunchyRawr wrote:I use the depo provera shot, which is easier for me than a daily pill because of my hectic and ever-changing work schedule. I just go to my ob/gyn every three months and get a shot in my arm. No period has got to be one of the best parts of birth control for me, but the weight gain! Last time I was on the shot, I had only gained a total of 5-10 lbs. Then I had to take a break because of an ongoing insurance issue, and this time around (I've been back on the shot for about a year now), I've gained a total of almost 30 lbs! :( I was previously a size 2 (with pants/shorts) and now I'm a size 12 on my butt, but more like 10 on my thighs and waist.

I use it because I am in a serious relationship. We live together, and I already have 1 child. I had her almost exactly a week after my 18th birthday. I'm already a young mother, and I really do not want to have another until we've got an actual house/car and are ready in every way to have another child. I do want more, though, just in the future and not any time soon.

I like the depo shot because it's easy and quick to do, but is less invasive than things like the cup, or the IUD. Those things scare me to be honest.

EDIT: After actually reading the posts above me, I wanted to add some things.

Being on the depo shot this 2nd time actually does seem to be making me depressed sometimes, and I was especially concerned last year when, for a few months, I'd randomly have anxiety/panic attacks. They stopped when I became able to recognize that one was starting, and I would just tell myself over and over, "It's just another anxiety attack, calm down. You're not a crazy person for crying on the bus for absolutely no reason." Because, yes, I would be chilling at home with my boyfriend, helping him Youtube a walkthrough for his game, and my breathing would become very shallow, and tears would roll out of my eyes even though I wasn't feeling anything that would make me want to cry. Along with this, I'd feel very paranoid and anxious, and these would last for a good 15-20 minutes each. As this has NEVER happened to me before, I was fairly convinced it was because of my birth control.

Also, concerning the stubborn guy that was against abortion completely, what an ignoramus :p
Depo is a concentrated dose of progesterine. Remember to have a good calcium intake while you're on it--doctors never mention the side effects of chemical menopause. Being period free might be great, but you coud be risking your bones if you don't consume enough calcium. Keep an eye on your moods; if they continue like this or worsen, you might want to speak to your doctor about other methods. I know that the shot and the implant are easy methods because you can just forget about them; just make sure that they're right for you, and if they stop being right for you, discuss other options with your doctor.
Hummoint wrote:My birth control is a life saver.

My menstrual cycle used to be completely out of control, I didn't know when it was coming, and it would be incredibly heavy that I wouldn't want to go to school for fear of "showing" a.k.a. soiling through to my pants and just going home anyway incredibly embarrassed. I can't stand to wear pads because they are very uncomfortable to me so having a lighter cycle makes me feel a lot better and sometimes I even forget that I am having it on a good day.

I also suffer from migraines. I used to get them once a month, and guess when? The day before my period would start. I would be so sick for hours that I don't think I could be considered a fully conscious human being. I would be in so much pain that I would try to just sleep in the darkest, quietest place I could but unfortunately I was also so nauseous that I would wake up every ten minutes or so and have to run to the bathroom to puke up basically nothing. It was awful.

But ever since I started taking this birth control- I take a daily pill, 28 days a month, those types of migraines have stopped. I am so grateful.

Which is why I think that when the topic of birth control comes up I abhor it when the only thing being discussed is what it does to block pregnancy. Many women take birth control to stabilize hormone imbalances. Some women just want to know when the heck their period is going to happen.

But on the topic of mental health, I'd honestly have to say that my pills have been helping me out in that regard. They're a combined pill with estrogen and progestin. I used to get really stressed out simply because of my menstrual cycle itself but because it has calmed down I myself have calmed down. I can't imagine being on a progestrone only pill... that doesn't make any sense. If you're "a little overweight" there would have to be other ways to take care of that. It does sound like these healthcare providers weren't acting in your best interest. Dang, I hate people like that. In "positions of power" and then they do stupid stuff and mess up people's lives. I've been in the hospital several times and have seen this done. Usually to minors though since they don't have any say in anything.

The POP messed up my hormones so badly that I ended up with terrible chin and jaw acne--that's cleared up now that I've been back on the combined pill. You're right in saying a lot of women do take birth control for reasons other than preventing pregnancy--I personally take it to prevent pregnancy as well as help control my periods (pre-birth control they were really heavy and incredibly painful).

Yeah, I'm not impressed with how the clinic acted in my case. They have said before that they will get more of certain kinds of pills depending on what the pharma companies provide, which leads me to believe that they were pushing POPs when they changed me over. I am a little bit overweight, but I also work out five days a week, can curl 10kg dumbbells and easily run a 5k, run 10k obstacle courses for fun, don't smoke, don't drink, eat clean ... I take care of my body. My risk for Chron's disease is higher than my risk for a blood clot, and it really angers me that they took one relatively arbitrary factor of weight and made it their sole focus.

Return to “Hall of Speakers”